GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs Anaheim Ducks: Flying aVs Edition

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Can anybody explain to me why Getzlaf was allowed to pin Jost to the boards down behind Anaheim’s goalie for 6-7 seconds while the Ducks went all the way back up ice and scored in OT?

Like I’m talking full on EA Sports hold the triangle button with the play on the other side of the ice.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Man that had to be the most frustrating game I’ve seen in years. Avs did so much right and still came out on the losing end. They even played well in OT and still lost on a lucky last-second shot. Unreal. That said, I just didn’t have a good feeling about this game the whole time. Even as well as they were playing, something seemed very much off.

my only gripe is that I really don’t understand why we see games like this more often at home. Maybe it’s just perception but I think the home vs. road record is indicative of it. They just don’t put in the same focus and effort at home and I’m perplexed as to why. Not mad, just...confused.
It was a really weird game. Like I thought they played really well and extremely horrible all at the same time? It just seemed like a game of spurts where they were dominating for most of the game, and then everyones brains would shut off for 5 minutes and then the we'd come at them in waves. Just a weird game overall that we would've won most nights but the bounces didn't go our way unfortunately.

Reactions: Pokecheque

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Can anybody explain to me why Getzlaf was allowed to pin Jost to the boards down behind Anaheim’s goalie for 6-7 seconds while the Ducks went all the way back up ice and scored in OT?

Like I’m talking full on EA Sports hold the triangle button with the play on the other side of the ice.
Maybe Jost was into it?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm sure so are the ducks with his muffin shot:sarcasm:

What's he even doing here? There's like 2 seconds left but he keeps backing off anyways to give his guy free room to shoot. SUCH A SMART PLAYER!!! :laugh:

Yah that was my only problem with Girard last night. This play. the clock is running down straight up mug the guy if you have to or atleast angle him towards the boards don't give him all that ice and for f*** sakes get your stick out the way if you are going to attempt a block shot.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Man that had to be the most frustrating game I’ve seen in years. Avs did so much right and still came out on the losing end. They even played well in OT and still lost on a lucky last-second shot. Unreal. That said, I just didn’t have a good feeling about this game the whole time. Even as well as they were playing, something seemed very much off.

my only gripe is that I really don’t understand why we see games like this more often at home. Maybe it’s just perception but I think the home vs. road record is indicative of it. They just don’t put in the same focus and effort at home and I’m perplexed as to why. Not mad, just...confused.

I have seen it mentioned that the Altitude hits them when they come back. Landeskog also said at one point he feels like playing at altitude helps them more on the road than at home.

It would align well with how they all put their clown shoes on for the first game back lol.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

I blame the GFs for sucking their dicks dry everytime they come back from long trips.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
With regards to the bolded, how do you figure? This is where awareness comes into play honestly. Jost puts the put on net on his last chance and stops up right in front of Miller and that's game, we're going to SO. I'm not even pinning this loss on Jost but that wasn't good puck management at the end. He himself admitted as much after the game. Nevertheless, moving on to the next I guess.
Random question, how do you bold someone's previous quote, I'm on mobile and cannot figure it out

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Random question, how do you bold someone's previous quote, I'm on mobile and cannot figure it out

When you reply, there should be a toolbar that appears along the top of the reply window. The very first tool should be a "B" (bold). Highlight the text you want bolded, and hit the B.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I have seen it mentioned that the Altitude hits them when they come back. Landeskog also said at one point he feels like playing at altitude helps them more on the road than at home.

It would align well with how they all put their clown shoes on for the first game back lol.

That makes sense, but then if they're more accustomed to altitude, the visiting team shouldn't be.

And here's the thing that REALLY makes no sense...their home/road records from last season were almost the exact opposite of what they are today. What changed????

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That makes sense, but then if they're more accustomed to altitude, the visiting team shouldn't be.

And here's the thing that REALLY makes no sense...their home/road records from last season were almost the exact opposite of what they are today. What changed????

Having a legit 2nd line?

Yeah it's a bit odd, but what actually happens seems to lineup with those comments more than the standard narrative that they actually have an advantage. Especially just returning home.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
For the record I’m not blaming Jost for that play or the lost. I’m just saying he could have done better in settling or protecting the puck. I’m happy that he’s playing better lately and I hope he keeps it up. Rooting for him because he’s a good dude.

Fair enough. I need a way to remove the second sentence though so I can 100% like this post. ;)

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Anyone worried about the lack of push back by the Avs, specially on home ice. Bellemare tried but almost got injured. Others were MIA, looking at you Z, EJ, Cole, Graves, Mack, Nuke, etc. Landy was in there and Namaste was scrappy but the others...
Noticed that but in reality most of the Avs grit is injured right now. Any of the above players aren't really in their element with that save for Z. Just another way he was MIA last night. Cole and EJ sorta play that role but don't forget when Cole tangled with Wilson of the Caps. We don't need more injuries at this point.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Noticed that but in reality most of the Avs grit is injured right now. Any of the above players aren't really in their element with that save for Z. Just another way he was MIA last night. Cole and EJ sorta play that role but don't forget when Cole tangled with Wilson of the Caps. We don't need more injuries at this point.

Cole also got injured fighting Sam Bennett last year after he flattened Mark Jankowski.

Dater and some others have theorized that Z hasn't been the same since breaking his jaw, but I don't think that's the issue. I just think Z's lost all confidence. He's been buried on the third pairing for a while now and just doesn't want to throw his body around. I'm still perplexed as to why he wasn't kept up with Girard, but that ship appears to have sailed.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

If there is one thing I do think Bednar does try to change about his players it's the after whistle stuff.

Maybe it makes the team seem less physical, but I still maintain there isn't really a problem for them against physical teams. It's more about pace and systems.

They didn't fold against it last night by any means. They had to adjust tactically, and I seen the entire team push even harder after Mack scored as well.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Getzlaf attacks people on the upswing, it's an inferiority complex. At least he doesn't have his corkscrewing sidekick Perry anymore.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I’m not talking about punching guys in the face but hitting, and pushing back when you get a glove shoved in your face.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Cole also got injured fighting Sam Bennett last year after he flattened Mark Jankowski.

Dater and some others have theorized that Z hasn't been the same since breaking his jaw, but I don't think that's the issue. I just think Z's lost all confidence. He's been buried on the third pairing for a while now and just doesn't want to throw his body around. I'm still perplexed as to why he wasn't kept up with Girard, but that ship appears to have sailed.
Didn’t he have one of his elite stretches with the jaw protector on? He wasn’t super physical but was using his body really really well. I think confidence is really what’s getting him down right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad