GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs Anaheim Ducks: Flying aVs Edition

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Getzlaf just knows how to take the right angles, potential HOFer veteran. The only thing Jost could have done better is be aware that Getzlaf was coming that way and just get a quick snapper off. He tried to play the hero, which is fine, but then the puck was bouncy and Getzlaf takes him out of the play. The rest of it was out of his control.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
You'll just blame Jost no matter what right? Doesn't matter if the ice wasn't good in OT, or the puck wouldn't settle down, or it was bouncing all over the place, or Getzlaf makes a nice play. It's Jost's fault the Avs lost right?

Well, where to begin...

1. I never blamed the loss on Jost. I blamed this terrible play on Jost, because it was a terrible play.
2. Correct, doesn't matter if the ice "wasn't good." I'm not going to blame the puck or the ice. Sorry, that's just how I roll. No pun intended!
3. Getzlaf didn't make some impressive play, he was sorta flailing. But no matter what, you have to put that on net. Period. If you don't that's on you.. er... Jost.

But again, I'm not too sad by the loss, and have already said as much. We still control our destiny in the west, so no big deal. But Jost doesn't get a pass here. It was a terrible play. Need to just own it and move on.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It’s on hedge but it’s not bouncing then he handles it and it bounces. Not easy but doable for an NHL player. Not blaming him but he could have done better.

Got to calm puck down and at least get a shot off. He was handling that thing like a hand grenade he was playing hot potato with, he had the time and space to do so. Getzlaf makes a nice stick lift at the end, but was 2-3 strides behind Jost when he initially got the puck. Got to get at minimum a shot of in that scenario.

This is the definition of easier said than done. Players have trouble handling pucks that won't settle all the time, and nobody blames them.

Now why would that be different with Tyson Jost?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Dater is right....

mdwU3ha.png

Reactions: wayninja

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
That is a very sneaky little slewfoot by Getz there. Not anywhere near callable, nor even intentional, but can see why Jost went down.

Stick Blade was also on Jost's skate too, there was no way another player was not gonna be taken out of that play at that point.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
The confirmation bias and echo chamber of these GDT's lead to some of these off base narratives IMO.

Everyone focusing on Jost's missed breakaway but missing the puck bouncing all over the place and Getzlaf making a nice defensive play.

giphy.gif

Umm. How can you look at that replay and arrive at the conclusion that Jost didn't mess that up. It's pretty apparent that he himself bobbled it while trying to stick handle. Is the whole result of this game on him? No but for the love of everything holy if this and the failed 2 on 0 aren't costly mistakes, I don't know what is. Getting that puck on net in whatever fashion or pushing it wide would have been infinitely better than what he did there.

Reactions: wayninja

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You’re kidding right? Vancouver Sj and LA are just bad teams. Even the Eagles should handle some of them.
Vancouver is on a losing streak and they're fighting for their playoff lives. They're gonna be hungry at home playing the half injured Avs roster. Sharks are on a 3 or 4 game win streak and the Kings kept the games close against the Avs this year, and its gonna be back to back for the Avs. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong but feels like a losing streak. I wouldn't say this if Avs were getting couple of injured players back, but they're keep losing players to injuries.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I have issues with that last line. The Avs were the better team overall tonight. When you hit 7 posts in a game 2 in OT its just unlucky. What burns my ass is that the Ducks best dman were all out.
And they played yesterday and they suck unless you allow them to not suck.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Umm. How can you look at that replay and arrive at the conclusion that Jost didn't mess that up. It's pretty apparent that he himself bobbled it while trying to stick handle. Is the whole result of this game on him? No but for the love of everything holy if this and the failed 2 on 0 aren't costly mistakes, I don't know what is. Getting that puck on net in whatever fashion or pushing it wide would have been infinitely better than what he did there.

If you really believe this you should have this reaction multiple times every game when players have the same trouble handling pucks that won't lie flat. Not just with Jost.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Well, where to begin...

1. I never blamed the loss on Jost. I blamed this terrible play on Jost, because it was a terrible play.
2. Correct, doesn't matter if the ice "wasn't good." I'm not going to blame the puck or the ice. Sorry, that's just how I roll. No pun intended!
3. Getzlaf didn't make some impressive play, he was sorta flailing. But no matter what, you have to put that on net. Period. If you don't that's on you.. er... Jost.

But again, I'm not too sad by the loss, and have already said as much. We still control our destiny in the west, so no big deal. But Jost doesn't get a pass here. It was a terrible play. Need to just own it and move on.

Spark Notes : Jost still sucks

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
You’re kidding right? Vancouver Sj and LA are just bad teams. Even the Eagles should handle some of them.

I feel pretty confident that the Avs take a L against Vancouver, unless Demko is awful. San Jose is trash, but they are improved of late. 5-5 in their last ten games and they’ve gotten some key players back from injury. I think that game is a toss-up.

LA we should beat.

I actually thought the Avs played damn hard tonight, but I don’t feel very confident in the roster that was iced. No Makar, Rantanen, and Kadri is an issue.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
Of course he's going to put the blame on his shoulders. He's a character kid.

Peter Forsberg used to blame himself all the time for playing terrible during losses, when everyone else in the world would shake their heads knowing he played a great game.

Look, I don't know what game you are playing friendo, but Jost != Forsberg.

Reactions: missionAvs

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
In all situations the High Danger Scoring Chances were 16-5 for the Avs...expected goals were 3.23 to 1.67 in our favour... just shit luck.

MacK, Landy, Compher were all over 23 mins... next closest Forward was Jost at 17:55.

At 5 on 5 CF leaders...Nuke 17-4, G 26-9, LOC 11-4, Jost 11-4, PEB 15-6... Should have let the 4th line have some more ice time...

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
In all situations the High Danger Scoring Chances were 16-5 for the Avs...expected goals were 3.23 to 1.67 in our favour... just shit luck.

MacK, Landy, Compher were all over 23 mins... next closest Forward was Jost at 17:55.

At 5 on 5 CF leaders...Nuke 17-4, G 26-9, LOC 11-4, Jost 11-4, PEB 15-6... Should have let the 4th line have some more ice time...
It showed on Compher. Too much ice time. He was burnt out

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
If you really believe this you should have this reaction multiple times every game when players have the same trouble handling pucks that won't lie flat. Not just with Jost.

Yeah I would. Anytime a player bobbles the puck on a breakaway only to see the play end up as a goal against on the subsequent play would piss me off even if it came from MacK. It doesn't happen that often...

Gobbily Goop

Mar 5, 2020

Hey Fellas, long time lurker, first time poster. LONG time lurker in the sense that I remember posters like "Grandlund2Pulkinen" or whatever.. Hopefully some of you remember..

Anyway, I typically come here due to the fact that i'm a long time Avs fan and always enjoy the differing perspectives from all of you, the posters. As a rabid Avs fan, reading our GTD's is pretty much dessert for myself after the game. That being said, you guys drive me bonkers with posts like this.. This year especially. This fan base is unbelievably critical of it's team and players to the point of it being unbearable (so much so that I created a darn account to address it haha.)

In what world do a lot of you live in where you're actually going to sit here and be hyper critical of how a rolling puck was handled on ice that had already been played on for 64 minutes? The whole "what level of hockey did you play" thing is an annoying and sometimes egotistical thing to bring up but is also sometimes warranted.. This kind of stuff happens ALL of the time in hockey regardless of the player and I guarantee that there isn't a single person in that locker room that is placing the blame on that play specifically. In response to the poster that I am quoting, when a puck is rolling like that you almost always try to get on top of the puck while on your forehand. If you've played hockey at all, you know exactly what i'm talking about. Jost clearly tries to do that and that the puck keeps rolling on him.. It's a game of bounces and in that high speed, high pressure situation the puck just didn't settle down for him. To sit here and act like he did anything wrong there is absurd. He could have just as easily opted to to rip a shot on that rolling puck and it go wide. Again, it's hockey, regardless of the skill level we're sometimes at the mercy of inches and bounces (see Rickard's goal.)

All in all, love you fellas. But for the love of God, we're talking about our beloved team that went from making the playoffs on the final game of the season the last two years to being two points way from being atop the western conference in a season where we were absolutely decimated by injuries.

Can we hop off of our high horses a little bit and enjoy it?

Cheers!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad