GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs Anaheim Ducks 2/11/2014

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Again, it's partially on Landy and ROR, but they're failing at both ends of the ice partially because Roy is expecting them to do everything. He wants them to shut down the opposing team's best players AND then turn around and score in bunches. O'Reilly looked tired last night, and it was the 2nd of a B2B. And keep in mind O'Reilly is one of the team's best-conditioned athletes.

I warned people before that Roy was riding his best players way, WAY too much and people mostly said "naw, they can handle it." Yeah, no they can't. Not if you want them at their very best. This team has better depth than what they're displaying, but Roy seemingly wants to keep using some players who are seriously hampering the team's chances to win, and instead of shoving them into the press box, he's just limiting their minutes and overusing his star players to make up for his own miscues in building this roster.

So slag O'Reilly all you want folks, it's partially deserved, but don't think for a minute that Roy is doing anything right now other than putting both him and Landeskog in a position to fail. He's asking them to do everything at both ends of the ice and as a result they're not nearly as effective in either scenario. They should've either added more firepower and put O'Reilly/Landeskog in a more defensive role or added some capable defensive forward (my preference) to allow those two to take on a more freewheeling scoring role like they had last year.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Colorado might lose games due to guys like Guenin whiffing on a play, but they have three wins in 13 games because of stars not showing up.

O'Reilly is minus-10, Landeskog has five points. McGinn has five points, Iginla has one point in his last five games.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Colorado might lose games due to guys like Guenin whiffing on a play, but they have three wins in 13 games because of stars not showing up.

O'Reilly is minus-10, Landeskog has five points. McGinn has five points, Iginla has one point in his last five games.

Yeah, it's not just defense, none of the Avs wingers are doing anything so far, the centers have been fine, Duchene, MacKinnon is heating up and Mitchell has been pretty good too, it's the wingers on all the lines that haven't been doing much.

The defense is crap as usual, i mean it's so bad that other than EJ and Barrie there is nothing else there which is pretty sad.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Yeah, it's not just defense, none of the Avs wingers are doing anything so far, the centers have been fine, Duchene, MacKinnon is heating up and Mitchell has been pretty good too, it's the wingers on all the lines that haven't been doing much.

The defense is crap as usual, i mean it's so bad that other than EJ and Barrie there is nothing else there which is pretty sad.

The problem is we get trapped in our own end a lot of the time because our defence is incapable of getting the puck out of our end. If we had a competent defence our offence would be a lot better. It's comical we didn't upgrade our D. Imagine we got Boychuk and Leddy. Sad.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site

Since being reunited with EJ, Hejda has looked A LOT better. They did a pretty damn good job at both ends the last couple games. That doesn't mean Hejda somehow got his puck skill back, but with EJ, he's at his best and it's showing once again.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What the holy **** is the DP going on about Landy maybe getting suspended? Has the league, Bob or ANYONE said anything about even a remote possibility? Is Perry injured? If this is the DP making **** up this is a new low.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Landeskog isn't going to be suspended for that hit. It was nothing. He may have jumped a little, which earned him a well deserved minor penalty.

DP speculating in him "facing possible multi-game suspension from NHL" is just tabloid junk journalism.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
What the holy **** is the DP going on about Landy maybe getting suspended? Has the league, Bob or ANYONE said anything about even a remote possibility? Is Perry injured? If this is the DP making **** up this is a new low.

They're obviously either looking for clicks or they are blind and missed Perry putting on a show. Perry might've won the game for his team with the embellishment he displayed in that hit. The officials bought it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
For godsakes EJ getting tossed was closer to appropriate speculation of a looming suspension. Landy had received a boarding penalty in earlier games. So every time someone gets a minor penalty they are now "facing suspension". It's a joke.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah that was a brutal embellishment. :laugh:

From my viewing and the way I see a hockey game and system... Guenin was clearly at fault for that Fowler goal. Roy knows the system better than I do though. :help:

One thing is for sure there (and in this system)... get the Avs moving and they will start a cascading series of mistakes. The system is great when it doesn't breakdown, but if it does... hold your butts.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
That's their job.

It is their job to write stories, that is correct.

But writing something with the headline "Gabe Landeskog facing possible multi-game suspension from NHL" and then the article is entirely based on speculation/conjecture/heresay, with absolutely no quotes from anyone from the NHL or the Department of Player Safety, is just terrible journalism.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Please don't click on DP anymore guys. And don't talk about it. We all know they are terrible. It is just giving them more exposure.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Landy recieved a penalty for boarding in the Vancouver game. Why wasn't he "facing suspension" after that game?

It's their job to entirely fabricate news? Well you all are so lucky people sort through the **** and bring actual news here. And how exactly do you guys expect that to happen, via magic?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
People say it's not time to panic but it really is. This team is now last in central division having played the most games at 13.

Going from last to first back to last will just be something to laugh at by everyone in hockey world. It will just be flat out embarrassing.

member 116861

People say it's not time to panic but it really is. This team is now last in central division having played the most games at 13.

Going from last to first back to last will just be something to laugh at by everyone in hockey world. It will just be flat out embarrassing.

I haven't really seen anybody say that after the last game.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
We need to go on a run, that is for sure.

And usually, when you go on a winning streak, it happens after you lose a couple of games you should have won. We haven't been close IMO. Not good enough.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Why are you so worried about getting embarrassed? They won't be last and if they were that would be one he'll of a pick. The difference between being 7th and 6th and probably 5th really is meaningless.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Why are you so worried about getting embarrassed? They won't be last and if they were that would be one he'll of a pick. The difference between being 7th and 6th and probably 5th really is meaningless.

And they'll just pick another center with a top pick and say their defense is fine with the addition of Stuart, will resign Hejda and have the exact same d core next year and the same results

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
And they'll just pick another center with a top pick and say their defense is fine with the addition of Stuart, will resign Hejda and have the exact same d core next year and the same results

Omg I really hope you guys aren't this pessimistic in real life too. You must all want to cut your wrists on a daily basis.

If we pick that high actually. The player they add would likely be a top 3 pick in most drafts so that's a big time pick. Personally I think if we get Hanifin or Kylington I can live with a bad season. At the same time I don't expect them to keep this up and I still feel they snag a wildcard spot. Not that that's a great thing. They could probably use one more lotto pick more than another first round exit.

So either trade for a rental like Sekera and see where that takes you... or miss the playoffs. That's my opinion.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

I think it would be better for everyone if you just went over here

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Haven't been close? All those OT games couldn't have gone the other way?

Score is close but the games tell a completely different story. I'll take the points any way they can get them but it doesn't give you much confidence in the team going forward. You want them to build on last season and take some steps towards becoming contenders but that's not going to happen when each game you have to pray Varly stands on his head.

Still a lot of time to turn it around but so far the team has taken some big steps backwards. Varly bailed us out plenty last season too, which is one thing the stat geeks were correct about, but this season the play in front of him is even worse.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If we do get a top pick, I really hope we take mcdavid or eichel. This isn't the year to pick for organizational need.

Not all hope is lost though. Avs just need more production out of landeskog, RoR, Holden, and Barrie. Those guys aren't doing great right now offensively (Barrie could be doing better) and we need their production to offset defensive weakness.

Roy also has to recognize which players should be playing where. Guenin out, Redmond in, RoR with duchene and iginla, etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad