GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs Anaheim Ducks 2/11/2014

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
If we do get a top pick, I really hope we take mcdavid or eichel. This isn't the year to pick for organizational need.

Not all hope is lost though. Avs just need more production out of landeskog, RoR, Holden, and Barrie. Those guys aren't doing great right now offensively (Barrie could be doing better) and we need their production to offset defensive weakness.

Roy also has to recognize which players should be playing where. Guenin out, Redmond in, RoR with duchene and iginla, etc...

It's not just those guys. Pretty much everyone is short by about 2 or 3 points (Landon and Holden closer to 5). Duchene and MacK are only on pace for 55. RoR and Iggy just 50. Tanguay, McGinn and Lando just in the 30s.

Johnson is the only one exceeding expectations. And Barrie is actually the only other guy on a good pace (too bad his D has been bad).

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
If we do get a top pick, I really hope we take mcdavid or eichel. This isn't the year to pick for organizational need.

Not all hope is lost though. Avs just need more production out of landeskog, RoR, Holden, and Barrie. Those guys aren't doing great right now offensively (Barrie could be doing better) and we need their production to offset defensive weakness.

Roy also has to recognize which players should be playing where. Guenin out, Redmond in, RoR with duchene and iginla, etc...

Duchene needs to play way better as well. he hasn't been great of late and making terrible decisions.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It's not just those guys. Pretty much everyone is short by about 2 or 3 points (Landon and Holden closer to 5). Duchene and MacK are only on pace for 55. RoR and Iggy just 50. Tanguay, McGinn and Lando just in the 30s.

Johnson is the only one exceeding expectations. And Barrie is actually the only other guy on a good pace (too bad his D has been bad).

There's a lot of variance in hockey. Duchene should be by all means over point per game, but he's been robbed many many times. Duchene/Johnson/Varly has been our best players.

Not to mention we have lost every shootout/overtime, which is really unlikely to happen. It's bad variance overall. It will change in a long season. We should go on a streak of winning at some point.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's not playoffs or first/second pick. If you guys are actually worried about a dismal season it would be wise to learn more than 3 names in the upcoming draft.

***Quest activated***

Oliver Kylington, D (SWE) Farjestad, SHL

Really curious about this guy, not much out there to be honest. I don't see us drafting high enough for Hanifin, even if we continue to swirl the toilet bowl.

Kylington could be realistic though if we don't pull out of the nose dive.

I'd say he is closer to Erik Karlsson than Larsson or Hedman. Style-wize. Unlimited offensive potential. There is a reason he changes teams from season to season though. Parents like Eric Lindros.

Kylington is looking like a top 7 player, that must be one hell of a nosedive to get to that territory. ;) I do like the Karlsson comparison, but I think he has better frame to grow into. Perhaps he won't be as strong as Doughty, but probably a step below that level of toughness during his prime.

We're currently 27th in the league with an extra game played (or two) on a lot of teams. Not THAT unrealistic TBH...

Edit : Btw... Thanks for the info guys.

I know 4 NAMES now!

***Quest completed***

Btw... The date on my first post was '10-27-2014, 06:18 PM'

It's been pretty much the same **** different week, maybe I should learn a few more names...

Maybe we should add a top prospect's name into each GDT title/OP? <--- Sad... but at least I'm being constructive : Edit

Last edited:

member 116861

Connor McDavid
Nathan MacKinnon
Jamie McGinn
Nate McGuenin

Watch out, NHL!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I know 4 NAMES now!

***Quest completed***

Btw... The date on my first post was '10-27-2014, 06:18 PM'

It's been pretty much the same **** different week, maybe I should learn a few more names...

Maybe we should add a top prospect's name into each GDT title/OP

Good! Can you stretch it to 5? ;)

Not a bad idea. I might have to save that one for my next GDT as I already have an idea for tomorrow's.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What the holy **** is the DP going on about Landy maybe getting suspended? Has the league, Bob or ANYONE said anything about even a remote possibility? Is Perry injured? If this is the DP making **** up this is a new low.

Yea, I feel like this is the first sign of Groke being just as bad as Dater and Chambers. He wrote that whole thing based off what felt like his assumption that Landy would face a "multi game" suspension. He didn't cite any info coming from the league or the team to confirm this possibility, he just seemed to be basing off recent suspensions from hits that were way way worse. He even said the NHL didn't release any info, making it kinda obvious he's just on his own here.

I don't know how much background and knowledge Groke has with the sport of hockey, but it would be ridiculous if they suspended Landy for that. Perry has a history of embellishment and diving, and while it probably was a penalty because Landy's hands were high and he left his feet a little bit, I don't think he made contact with Perry's face anywhere near as hard as he acted when he threw his head back like he got hit in the face with a bat, but a second after the contact.

The fact that Perry skate away after he got his penalty without any signs of grimace on his face, and then was immediately back out for the ensuing PP faceoff with 20 seconds left in the game, where they didn't need a goal, tells you how bad that hit really was.

If Groke is right and the NHL is considering a suspension they've completely lost their minds, and if Groke is just following in Dater and Chambers footsteps and portraying his assumptions as facts or inside information, he's as big a joke as they are.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've seen a few of the top guys and I'd say Barzal stood out to me the most. Still need to see a lot more though, its early.

Btw... That team is in Kent, WA for ONE, and two I'm not sure I feel comfortable wearing those colors (CANUCKS!?).

For whatever reason I just realized their logo and colors are really close to the canuckle heads.

(Not the first time I've actually looked into going to some of their games)

member 116861

Btw... That team is in Kent for ONE, and two I'm not sure I feel comfortable wearing those colors (CANUCKS!?).

For whatever reason I just realized their logo and colors are really close to the canuckle heads.

They still play in Kent? I have relatives who live near there so I was about to watch them back when they had Pickard but I couldn't find the time. How far is Kent from Seattle?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They still play in Kent? I have relatives who live near there so I was about to watch them back when they had Pickard but I couldn't find the time. How far is Kent from Seattle?

Depends on which part of Seattle you live in

SEATTLE
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
V
----->-----------------> Kent

18.6M S/SE from downtown Seattle,

It could be an hour and a half drive at 7PM on a week day if you live in the northern part of Seattle. 20-45 minutes on the weekends if there is not another major league team playing that day.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah that was a brutal embellishment. :laugh:

From my viewing and the way I see a hockey game and system... Guenin was clearly at fault for that Fowler goal. Roy knows the system better than I do though. :help:

One thing is for sure there (and in this system)... get the Avs moving and they will start a cascading series of mistakes. The system is great when it doesn't breakdown, but if it does... hold your butts.

I mentioned this in my previous post about the Fowler goal, but they did very well avoiding breakdowns last year, and I really don't think teams are doing that much different to try and exploit the system. From about the quarter mark on last year, teams were all trying the same cycles and the same picks, and the same rotation of the D moving between the coverage to confuse the Avs, but they very rarely broke down.

It seemed like it would happen once a game where a team deliberately did this to the extreme and it would look dangerous for a minute with some zone time, but the Avs would handle it perfectly and there would never be a dangerous scoring chance. Just a weak shot on net from outside somewhere because eventually the puck carrier hit a wall with his options.

They're not doing this right now, and I think the main reason is because they haven't been focused and playing sharp all year, and now the lost confidence from the poor start has compounded the problems.

They're gonna have to dig their way out of this, because there's not just one hole to plug in the damn that's causing the leak. They're gonna have to find a way to put together a mini winning streak here somehow. That will build their confidence back up to where it should be, and then they'll be able to settle down and focus, and work on the technical issues that are plaguing them.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Btw... That team is in Kent, WA for ONE, and two I'm not sure I feel comfortable wearing those colors (CANUCKS!?).

You could see Red Deer there tomorrow, kill two birds with one stone ;)

I don't know how much background and knowledge Groke has with the sport of hockey

Seems to be a Chambers disciple of college hockey, or maybe none at all. I don't how you cover DU-BC and don't mention the Avs prospect playing in the game or Hanifin.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You could see Red Deer there tomorrow, kill two birds with one stone ;)

Seems to be a Chambers disciple of college hockey, or maybe none at all. I don't how you cover DU-BC and don't mention the Avs prospect playing in the game or Hanifin.

Ohhh wish I could, working swing tomorrow 3PM to 11PM

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I've seen a few of the top guys and I'd say Barzal stood out to me the most. Still need to see a lot more though, its early.

I like what I've seen from Zacha, Rantanen, Crouse if we ended up drafting kind of in the 6-12 range.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Pavel Zacha is a kid I really like. If we're middle of the pack Mikko Rantanen is a good one too. Don't want anything to do with Crouse or Bittner. Of course I'm looking at some big wingers should we not be ****** enough to draft McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome, or Kylington. All of those guys are in a you just pick them regardless tier.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
I like what I've seen from Zacha, Rantanen, Crouse if we ended up drafting kind of in the 6-12 range.

Not down with Crouse. He's uncomfortable to watch play. Not as skilled as the other two you mentioned. If he's picked top 15 it's a mistake imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad