GDT: COLORADO AVALANCHE @ stl blues - 03/19/24 @ 6:00 PM MST

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I hate it and have complained endlessly about it but this is who Jared Bednar has become re: TOI.

There's a division up for grabs, we gotta accept that he is going to play that top line 21-25 minutes every single night regardless of Mittelstadt, Trenin, and Duhaime additions.

It's worrisome to me that Ross Colton is struggling so much and only playing 10-12 minutes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's worrisome to me that Ross Colton is struggling so much and only playing 10-12 minutes.

The worrisome part for me is how different that line looks without LOC. His predictability for them has been key all year.

It didn't start to play well until LOC got put on that line, and whenever they broke it up, it didn't play as well either. Parise has been ok, but it's just not the same.

Interesting that we all thought that 3RW spot would be Kovalenko's when he came over, then with how good LOC looked, it seemed Kovalenko lost that opportunity. But now it's sitting right there for the taking again.

His play might be key to helping the Avs have 3 dangerous lines in the playoffs.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
The worrisome part for me is how different that line looks without LOC. His predictability for them has been key all year.

It didn't start to play well until LOC got put on that line, and whenever they broke it up, it didn't play as well either. Parise has been ok, but it's just not the same.

Interesting that we all thought that 3RW spot would be Kovalenko's when he came over, then with how good LOC looked, it seemed Kovalenko lost that opportunity. But now it's sitting right there for the taking again.

His play might be key to helping the Avs have 3 dangerous lines in the playoffs.
The problem is we could have 4 very solid lines but Bednar refuses to break up the top unit. I personally would like to see Trenin play up in the lineup, I know they are using him as 4C though so I doubt that changes unless Kovalenko can establish himself there. Something like this would be interesting:

Nichuskin - MacKinnon - Trenin/Kovalenko
Lehkonen - Mitts - Rantanen
Wood/Parise - Colton - Drouin
Parise/Wood- Trenin/Kovalenko - Duhaime

The problem with being on a winning streak is nothing ever changes. I'm guessing we will see a few different combinations once he enters the lineup.

Drouin has shown chemistry with Wood + Colton and Parise, we should capitalize on that

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Whatever Bednar decides to do or not do, he needs to keep Wood's ES minutes down until he can get his head screwed back on straight. He's in one of his patented free falls that Devils fans warned us about, and forcing him and Colton to play together needs to stop for now.
Also, Cogs is 100% playing hurt after that Bouchard bomb he blocked, and Parise clearly looks banged up too. Either rest them both, or the bottom 6 needs to look more like

Duhaime-Colton-Trenin
Wood-Cogs-Parise

Alternatively, Wood-Olof-Kivi could get a few games until the old boys are feeling better for the Playoffs, because something tells me we're gonna need them as healthy as they can be for this grind.
I'm not mentioning Kovy because he's also hurt and as far as that means for an Av, he's basically dead and shouldn't be counted on at all

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I still think it’s a bit of an awkward fit with him and Drouin together, but he’s getting it done regardless.

I hope we see some experimentation with different line combos in the top-6, but Bednar doesn’t seem too interested in changing it up. It’s kind of a shame for Mittelstadt, because I think you could get even more out of him.
Put Mitts together with two goal scorers and it could get interesting.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Ok?

You're missing the point. I'd rather have Compher at what he made FOR THAT CAP PERCENTAGE, than Colton for what he makes FOR THIS CAP PERCENTAGE.

Compher had his down years too. His last season was basically the best.(In regular season but sucked in the playoffs).

Memory fails us easily.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Whatever Bednar decides to do or not do, he needs to keep Wood's ES minutes down until he can get his head screwed back on straight. He's in one of his patented free falls that Devils fans warned us about, and forcing him and Colton to play together needs to stop for now.
Also, Cogs is 100% playing hurt after that Bouchard bomb he blocked, and Parise clearly looks banged up too. Either rest them both, or the bottom 6 needs to look more like

Duhaime-Colton-Trenin
Wood-Cogs-Parise

Alternatively, Wood-Olof-Kivi could get a few games until the old boys are feeling better for the Playoffs, because something tells me we're gonna need them as healthy as they can be for this grind.
I'm not mentioning Kovy because he's also hurt and as far as that means for an Av, he's basically dead and shouldn't be counted on at all

I agree. Our team is deep enough to rest some players if needed. Especially the depth players. Just rest guys who need it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Yeah his crash is probably the biggest concern right now amongst the skaters. We know he isn't this bad of a player, but he needs to get it going for the playoffs.

And get Wood away from Colton.
They only played 28 seconds together last night.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Last night's W, as sweet as it was, now tastes very sour given than MacK lost the Art Ross as of the end of the Vegas-Bolts game. It sucks but it is what it is. Is it too late to tank? Preferably for Bedard?

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Nice win, beating STL feels always good.

One thing that i noticed though, why is Makar not shooting anymore, i mean during PPs from blueline. Guy could snipe absolute missiles with just a wrist and used to score shitload of goals from there in previous seasons, and hitting even more posts on top of that. Now everytime he got the puck he was handling it as hot potato, swiftly passing it away. Never positioning himself for one-timer hit.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm a bit conflicted on Wood. Earlier this season I admitted I was wrong about the player and the impact he was having earlier after complaining about it all offseason but now I really want to re-up his thread when he was signed to a SIX year contract. Decisions, decisions.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Nice win, beating STL feels always good.

One thing that i noticed though, why is Makar not shooting anymore, i mean during PPs from blueline. Guy could snipe absolute missiles with just a wrist and used to score shitload of goals from there in previous seasons, and hitting even more posts on top of that. Now everytime he got the puck he was handling it as hot potato, swiftly passing it away. Never positioning himself for one-timer hit.
Has a nagging (hip?) injury that he's playing through. Probably can't torque his body that hard without it hurting a ton

Reactions: Miri

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Considering Wood has been very sick lately and he and Colton pass so much time together being best friends on the team it is very possible Colton has not been feeling 100% lately.

It is a concerned that LOC was so important to that line. IMO Parise is a bad fit with them as his D game is not very good. Maybe Kovy will be the guy but until we can try that IMO Duhaime is the best bet there.

Reactions: MarkT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wood and Colton have a combined IQ of 36. LOC kept up with them skating/pace wise and added a bunch of IQ to the line. That was the glue IMO. Parise has the IQ, but nowhere near the skating. I'm not sure Trenin or Duhaime have the right skill set either, but I'd certainly give Trenin a run to see.

This is the typical Wood play though. He will have stretches of great play where he looks amazing, but really for 50+ games a year he's a mediocre 4th liner. Prior to his injuries, his pace and style of play could hide this a bit more, but as he ages, it is clear he can't maintain.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00