GDT: COLORADO AVALANCHE @ stl blues - 03/19/24 @ 6:00 PM MST

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wood and Colton have a combined IQ of 36. LOC kept up with them skating/pace wise and added a bunch of IQ to the line. That was the glue IMO. Parise has the IQ, but nowhere near the skating. I'm not sure Trenin or Duhaime have the right skill set either, but I'd certainly give Trenin a run to see.

This is the typical Wood play though. He will have stretches of great play where he looks amazing, but really for 50+ games a year he's a mediocre 4th liner. Prior to his injuries, his pace and style of play could hide this a bit more, but as he ages, it is clear he can't maintain.

39 for Colton and -3 for Wood?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I still think Colton will learn our system better and will be much better on the defensive side of the puck next season, after a full off-season to watch tape and what not. I'm also hopeful he can pick it up for the playoffs this year. I don't think he'll ever have Compher's hockey IQ, but hopefully his physicality can make up for that.

Compher's a slightly better offensive player, but I'll still take Colton over him as the more multi dimensional player in a 3C role.

JTC was very streaky. He'd regularly go 20+ games without producing much, and when he wasn't producing, he basically didn't contribute anything at all. He was pretty much invisible out there.

Wasn't that great defensively, wasn't good at faceoffs, didn't help his linemates as a playmaker, wasn't physical, wasn't gritty, didn't cause havoc around the net, mostly played around the perimeter, and he stopped playing a true agitating style after his first or second year.

At least when Colton isn't producing, he can change the momentum with a big hit, or by being tenacious around the net, or getting under the opponents skin and drawing a penalty, or starting a scrum to build some emotion for the team, or get the opposition off their game. Not every game, but much more often.

That makes up for the 10 point difference in production from JTC in my book. As a 2C, where offense is the primary part of that role, maybe you go with JTC, but I'll take Colton in a 3C role. I think Colton can be a better playoff performer as well.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
What happened tonight with the ice time is one of my frustrations with loading up the top line.

Bednar looks down the bench and sees Val, MacK, and Mikko and says, “Hell, that looks pretty good to me. Let’s send those guys out again.”

JT Compher played like 30 minutes a night under Bednar and Mittelstadt, who is infinitely better, doesn’t get those minutes. Part of that is the special teams usage, but it’s still a bit frustrating when you see usage like tonight.

I hate it and have complained endlessly about it but this is who Jared Bednar has become re: TOI.

There's a division up for grabs, we gotta accept that he is going to play that top line 21-25 minutes every single night regardless of Mittelstadt, Trenin, and Duhaime additions.

It's worrisome to me that Ross Colton is struggling so much and only playing 10-12 minutes.

Ok, I honestly can't believe you guys have been fans of the team for this long and haven't figured it out yet. Until players have fully learned and proven that they know the whole Bednar system, he will not play them big minutes unless he has no choice. Mitts, Trenin and Duhaime and still learning the system, which fully explains why they don't play more. The other reason is likely how strangely good Rantanen was playing - Bednar probably wanted to capitalize on a rare 100% effort night from Mikko. So give them a few weeks and if the numbers still look like this game, then I think you'll have a point.

Reactions: Bender

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Ok, I honestly can't believe you guys have been fans of the team for this long and haven't figured it out yet. Until players have fully learned and proven that they know the whole Bednar system, he will not play them big minutes unless he has no choice. Mitts, Trenin and Duhaime and still learning the system, which fully explains why they don't play more. The other reason is likely how strangely good Rantanen was playing - Bednar probably wanted to capitalize on a rare 100% effort night from Mikko. So give them a few weeks and if the numbers still look like this game, then I think you'll have a point.
I would hazard a guess that it's not just about understanding the system, but being physically prepared to play at that speed and intensity. Something those players certainly won't be used to. Mitts has himself commented on how hard even the practices are and how fast the team play. I'm sure as they grow accustomed to it they'll get more minutes.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I would hazard a guess that it's not just about understanding the system, but being physically prepared to play at that speed and intensity. Something those players certainly won't be used to. Mitts has himself commented on how hard even the practices are and how fast the team play. I'm sure as they grow accustomed to it they'll get more minutes.
Yeah, that could be another factor. The conditioning needed to play for this team must be among the highest in the league.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The reason Mitts hasn't gotten a ton of time in a few games is the PP. He play over 18 and 19 minutes against Edmonton and Vancouver. Both games he got PP time. Against the Blues... there was 4 minutes of PP time, but the first unit took all but 9 seconds of it. Against the Flames, when there was like 7+ minutes of PP time, Mitts got 40 some seconds. First unit ate the time again. Against the Wild... a game like like 8 minutes of PP time, the first unit was 6.5 and the second unit including Mitts was 1.5.

Basically if the first unit eats the whole PP, Mitts won't be over 15 minutes. If the time is split 2/3-1/3, he's seeing 18 minutes.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
The reason Mitts hasn't gotten a ton of time in a few games is the PP. He play over 18 and 19 minutes against Edmonton and Vancouver. Both games he got PP time. Against the Blues... there was 4 minutes of PP time, but the first unit took all but 9 seconds of it. Against the Flames, when there was like 7+ minutes of PP time, Mitts got 40 some seconds. First unit ate the time again. Against the Wild... a game like like 8 minutes of PP time, the first unit was 6.5 and the second unit including Mitts was 1.5.

Basically if the first unit eats the whole PP, Mitts won't be over 15 minutes. If the time is split 2/3-1/3, he's seeing 18 minutes.
Wish the standard box scores showed the TOI breakdown. Mack playing 24 minutes but 7 of them were on the PP is less of an issue than playing 22 minutes but only 2 were on the PP

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4