News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part VI

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah it was "Root Sports" or something last I saw, and now it's gone.
It went Fox Sports Rocky Mountain to FSN Rocky Mountain to Root Sports to AT&T Sportsnet Rocky Mountain to Sportsnet Rocky Mountain is pretty quick succession as it hot potatoed between bagholders. I think it finally went off the air in Dec.

Reactions: Pokecheque

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It went Fox Sports Rocky Mountain to FSN Rocky Mountain to Root Sports to AT&T Sportsnet Rocky Mountain to Sportsnet Rocky Mountain is pretty quick succession as it hot potatoed between bagholders. I think it finally went off the air in Dec.
No, it's just now Rocky Rootnet AT&T Sports Mountain.

Reactions: henchman21

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
My biggest concern about the collapse of the regional/local sports networks is that when the national broadcasts take over, team coverage loses that specific area's local charms and idiosyncrasies that are normally just baked into the broadcasts naturally. That's why it's sometimes fun to tune into a Boston broadcast for a few minutes until you realize you can't stop worrying about Jack Edwards' health.

For all the homerism, amateurish, Haynes-sigh filled goal calls, Moser guts all over the places call, groove subaru brain washing, american warehouse furniture pimping things we have bashed Altitude and its predecessors over, I'm going to miss see the local charms of Denver when the bland national broadcasts provided by whomever starts using an AI Chatbot to do real-time play by play and color commentary. Hopefully we'll still get some Penis McNab like flubs.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
My biggest concern about the collapse of the regional/local sports networks is that when the national broadcasts take over, team coverage loses that specific area's local charms and idiosyncrasies that are normally just baked into the broadcasts naturally. That's why it's sometimes fun to tune into a Boston broadcast for a few minutes until you realize you can't stop worrying about Jack Edwards' health.

For all the homerism, amateurish, Haynes-sigh filled goal calls, Moser guts all over the places call, groove subaru brain washing, american warehouse furniture pimping things we have bashed Altitude and its predecessors over, I'm going to miss see the local charms of Denver when the bland national broadcasts provided by whomever starts using an AI Chatbot to do real-time play by play and color commentary. Hopefully we'll still get some Penis McNab like flubs.
“I’ve been called worse, Mos”

Hopefully the chat bot will be named AI Michaels.

• Love
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I imagine a lot of that will stay even with the streaming services taking over since there are way too many hockey games for any sort of "national" team to cover all at once. I suppose a good example might be how Apple TV is covering MLS, but I've never sat down to watch one of those matches on the new service so I wouldn't know. They obviously did not take the Altitude team with them when they got the rights.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've been stuck with Altitude for the past couple of weeks when I've been able to watch, what the hell is going on with Ryker? I get that Moser has his homer "score" calls, but he's actually been bearable lately, Rycroft is going Jack Edwards sort of nuts.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I've been stuck with Altitude for the past couple of weeks when I've been able to watch, what the hell is going on with Ryker? I get that Moser has his homer "score" calls, but he's actually been bearable lately, Rycroft is going Jack Edwards sort of nuts.
Has to be coming from higher ups telling him to be as homer as possible. He never used to be like this. Every goal that goes in on Georgiev "ah he had no chance on that one!"

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Has to be coming from higher ups telling him to be as homer as possible. He never used to be like this. Every goal that goes in on Georgiev "ah he had no chance on that one!"
This must be the case. It strikes me that Kroenke wants a Don Cherry type 'character' instead of an
'analyst.' It is sad because I think Ryker could have matured into an interesting analyst. He sees the ice incredibly well. I've lost track of how many times he identifies something in the action that Moser misses, ostensibly because he is pulling another Mountain Time from his cooler at his feet.

Altitude is completely out of balance now. Katie Gaus is fine leading the desk, but Mitchy is stiff and lost. Keefe is probably most appropriately assigned all the old Al Trautwig fluff pieces, but one can tell he hates the new job. Moser is simply Moser. Maybe he can be included in a trade for a 2C?

All this said, I would take the current crew day and night over a national crew, if the league starts some streaming deal. I understand that ESPN or whomever wants to develop an audience, but the dumbing down to kindergarten level aggravates me as a long-time hockey fan.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This must be the case. It strikes me that Kroenke wants a Don Cherry type 'character' instead of an
'analyst.' It is sad because I think Ryker could have matured into an interesting analyst. He sees the ice incredibly well. I've lost track of how many times he identifies something in the action that Moser misses, ostensibly because he is pulling another Mountain Time from his cooler at his feet.

Altitude is completely out of balance now. Katie Gaus is fine leading the desk, but Mitchy is stiff and lost. Keefe is probably most appropriately assigned all the old Al Trautwig fluff pieces, but one can tell he hates the new job. Moser is simply Moser. Maybe he can be included in a trade for a 2C?

All this said, I would take the current crew day and night over a national crew, if the league starts some streaming deal. I understand that ESPN or whomever wants to develop an audience, but the dumbing down to kindergarten level aggravates me as a long-time hockey fan.
Mitchy is fine IMO, especially for a guy who's still fairly new to analysis. Every now and then he even gets pretty critical, but doesn't break out the stick like Ryker used to. Not a fan of Yan Stazz much at all.

I still would take those guys over the ESPN crews any day.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
I wish they'd simply stop doing the between period players interviews. It's always the same obvious, stupid questions and the same rote, robotic answers . . . from players who would rather be anywhere else.

I'm sure Altitude looks at this as some kind of special "access" bonus from owning the team, but its just cringe 99% of the time.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I wish they'd simply stop doing the between period players interviews. It's always the same obvious, stupid questions and the same rote, robotic answers . . . from players who would rather be anywhere else.

I'm sure Altitude looks at this as some kind of special "access" bonus from owning the team, but its just cringe 99% of the time.
This is a problem across all sports for decades. I think players are coached to give generic sports cliche responses in these interviews. Nobody wants to give away their strategy on live TV, so they give canned answers for the camera. It's just a strange feature of sports TV where the broadcaster wants the viewers to see the players, but everyone involved knows that there's no real insight being provided.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Well, those are a sports staple and aren't going away soon (I imagine Charissa Thompson would be okay with them not being a thing anymore but I digress).

The way the Devils broadcasts does them is so weird to me. They have the player flanked by Bryce Salvador on one side and Erika Wachter on the other with microphones. It always looks like the player is in custody or something.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I wouldn't want it done all the time, but maybe once in a while, have a poll on "x" to determine who to interview in a game could be cool. We'd still get the same bland uninspired questions followed by the prepared milquetoast response, but at least we'd get to determine who is delivering the response.

It's not happening anytime soon, but I think the game-based interviews should be pretty much scrapped and become the exception and not the norm. First, when they implemented the world was a different place. We didn't have a 24/7 news cycle and internet forums where players were endlessly discussed and information was widely available. These were actually unique insights into the game. Also, the world was much less touchy and interviews were more informative and interesting as a result. As society changed so has the interviews. No matter how despicable you might find him, you won't ever hear a player say, "I like to believe that my best hits border on felonious assault" ever again in any league. Jack Tatum was a good interview.

Since the interviews don't really add to the broadcast in any meaningful way, I'd just as soon see it replaced with something else that is actually entertaining, like say an extended remix of the Groove Subaru commercial or and here's a thought, this would be a good 90 second spot to use the new player tracking technology and do a play breakdown using all the speed burst, puck overlays, and technological gadgets available and come up with something new and refreshing.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I wouldn't want it done all the time, but maybe once in a while, have a poll on "x" to determine who to interview in a game could be cool. We'd still get the same bland uninspired questions followed by the prepared milquetoast response, but at least we'd get to determine who is delivering the response.

It's not happening anytime soon, but I think the game-based interviews should be pretty much scrapped and become the exception and not the norm. First, when they implemented the world was a different place. We didn't have a 24/7 news cycle and internet forums where players were endlessly discussed and information was widely available. These were actually unique insights into the game. Also, the world was much less touchy and interviews were more informative and interesting as a result. As society changed so has the interviews. No matter how despicable you might find him, you won't ever hear a player say, "I like to believe that my best hits border on felonious assault" ever again in any league. Jack Tatum was a good interview.

Since the interviews don't really add to the broadcast in any meaningful way, I'd just as soon see it replaced with something else that is actually entertaining, like say an extended remix of the Groove Subaru commercial or and here's a thought, this would be a good 90 second spot to use the new player tracking technology and do a play breakdown using all the speed burst, puck overlays, and technological gadgets available and come up with something new and refreshing.
The players are not actually there for the interviews during intermissions. They are holograms and then they voice over the answers as the questions and answers are always the same. Technology man...it's fantastic.

• Haha

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Back in the day (before Curt Flood), players LOVED doing these spots. Most players barely made enough to survive. A significant percentage of pro athletes had off-season jobs. Most of these interview spots were sponsored by "Ed's Big & Tall Shop" where they would get a suit for doing the interview. Near the old Madison Square Garden in NYC, there was a shoe shop in a grungy storefront that specialized in Size 25 dress shoes and Knick opponents would even volunteer for the interviews, since this store was the shoemaker for a good chunk of the NBA.

• Love

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Frankly I'd LOVE "arena broadcasts" for these. No stupid ass announcers, just a feed that you hear what those in the building hear. After all, I really only care about watching the game for myself and not someone else's view of the game.

Reactions: Alienblood

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Frankly I'd LOVE "arena broadcasts" for these. No stupid ass announcers, just a feed that you hear what those in the building hear. After all, I really only care about watching the game for myself and not someone else's view of the game.
I want to say Altitude or someone else did that during a portion of the broadcast for one of the Covid empty arena games. It was eerie enough to see an NHL game with NHL speed and hitting but absolutely no crowd noise (they even shut off the fake crowd noise they used during most broadcasts) but when the announcers shut up as well and all you had was the on-ice sounds it was incredible. Probably a lit unfit for tender ears, but I enjoyed it enough. The thing is though...I don't think I'd like it for the full length of the broadcast. Maybe it would be different with the crowd being present but that's a lot of time to watch something without dialogue, I have a feeling I would find myself multi-tasking more than I already do and missing quite a bit of the game as a result.

The dream is one day each of us will be able to toggle the switches and alter the feed to our own individual liking. You can toggle the broadcasters off, I can toggle the AI to high-light a player whenever they hit 23MPH, because I'm a speed demon. Some people will have an overlay that replaces Makar with a picture of Adam Fox in his Makar underoos. I'm not judging.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I want to say Altitude or someone else did that during a portion of the broadcast for one of the Covid empty arena games. It was eerie enough to see an NHL game with NHL speed and hitting but absolutely no crowd noise (they even shut off the fake crowd noise they used during most broadcasts) but when the announcers shut up as well and all you had was the on-ice sounds it was incredible. Probably a lit unfit for tender ears, but I enjoyed it enough. The thing is though...I don't think I'd like it for the full length of the broadcast. Maybe it would be different with the crowd being present but that's a lot of time to watch something without dialogue, I have a feeling I would find myself multi-tasking more than I already do and missing quite a bit of the game as a result.

The dream is one day each of us will be able to toggle the switches and alter the feed to our own individual liking. You can toggle the broadcasters off, I can toggle the AI to high-light a player whenever they hit 23MPH, because I'm a speed demon. Some people will have an overlay that replaces Makar with a picture of Adam Fox in his Makar underoos. I'm not judging.
You can get the no crowd noise vibe today if you just go to a game in Ottawa.

200.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad