Colorado Avalanche - Great young foundation

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
the Avalanche have really started to build something special.

they've already got a great young team. Starting 3-1-1 so far.

their forward core, with Nathan Mackinnon (23 years old), Mikko Rantanen (21), Gabriel Landeskog (25), and Tyson Jost (20).

Decent Dmen - Tyson Barrie, Erik Johnson, Nakita Zadorov, plus they've just added Samuel Girard. that's not bad.

Plus an elite goalie in Varlamov.

Plus Cale Makar as a great prospect on D.

Plus 2 first round picks, one certain to be very high, thanks to the Senators. And 2 thirds as well.

I think this is a team to keep an eye on, as well as that first round pick. They could have a very good year, and still end up adding an elite young player.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
This idea of posting team specific ‘how good is ______’ threads on the main boards simply because someone else put their teams is about as elite as Varlamov

This is probably better discussed on Colorado’s board

Reactions: egelband

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Honestly, having the Senators pick is insane. You guys have a good core and will more than likely get 1-2 very good players this year.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
7GSrZG9.gif

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
They have an influx of great/young Dmen,....Makar, Timmins, Girard, not the biggest Zadorov fan but he's a big physical presence back there. Barrie is only 27 too, not old by any stretch. I wonder if there's a "Hall for Larsson" type deal to bring in an impact Top 6 Forward in the future. Their Forward depth still needs some work imo. That OTT 1st should land them a good player too. They are building the team very nicely, wouldn't go dynasty yet they haven't won squat.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Honestly, having the Senators pick is insane. You guys have a good core and will more than likely get 1-2 very good players this year.
I'm not an Avs fan. I'm just looking at their young and improving core, prospects, and their situation with that pick going into this season, as a team already playing well, and just pointing out, they're a team to watch.

I think they can make the playoffs this year, and still end up with an elite young player in the draft.

I mean, you've basically got an entire top 6 locked up and young there, with a top 2 pairing d, with another elite D prospect on the way, with a goalie capable of winning the Vezina.

And a good prospect base with a top 5 pick on the way.

Jeez, that's damn good.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
they had almost all of those same players two years ago and were the worst team in the league by far

not saying they'll be that bad again but dynasty? cmon

Reactions: JetsHomer

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
the Avalanche have really started to build something special.

they've already got a great young team. Starting 3-1-1 so far.

their forward core, with Nathan Mackinnon (23 years old), Mikko Rantanen (21), Gabriel Landeskog (25), and Tyson Jost (20).

Decent Dmen - Tyson Barrie, Erik Johnson, Nakita Zadorov, plus they've just added Samuel Girard. that's not bad.

Plus an elite goalie in Varlamov.

Plus Cale Makar as a great prospect on D.

Plus 2 first round picks, one certain to be very high, thanks to the Senators. And 2 thirds as well.

I think this is a team to keep an eye on, as well as that first round pick. They could have a very good year, and still end up adding an elite young player.
Have you watched any senators games this early season? If they keep it up, you aren't getting a lot of lottery balls.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
As a divisional rival to the Avalance, I really hope the Senators are this years Golden Knights

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I mean its okay... I wouldn't call it in the making... teams like Jets/Nash etc are going to be very tough... id put Colorado as a bubble team right now

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Good young team with upside.

Ask any Avs fan and we'll tell you were excited for the future.

But a lot of things have to go right between now and then before we can even start thinking about winning a cup. Nevermind hoping to win 2-3 in a 4-5 year span to be considered an actual dynasty level team.

Ottawa sucking(And they're not exactly helping us here so far) would go a long way though. Getting to add a Jack Hughes, or a Kaapo Kakko to our roster for free would be a huge boost.

We also need our good young Dmen to actually progress like they should. Makar is a legit elite prospect with the upside of being an elite #1D in the NHL. But between where he is now and that final product he has a long ways to go still to reach that level. Sam Girard is already exceeding expectations as he's essentially a top pairing Dman at just 20 years old which helps take some of the pressure off of Makar, but one or both of these guys still need to develop more to reach the level we need them to in order to have a legit chance at success.

Long story short. Bright future and exciting times to be an Avs fan. But ask any Avs fan and we'll tell you we're a long ways away yet from those kind of Stanley cup expectations.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
they had almost all of those same players two years ago and were the worst team in the league by far

not saying they'll be that bad again but dynasty? cmon

Well that's not true at all.

Landeskog, Mackinnon, Rantanen, Soderberg

Johnson, Barrie, Zadorov

And Varlamov.

That's the only players from that team 2 years ago still on the team. The rest either joined very late in that year(Jost/Compher/Andrighetto) or have joined the team since then(Kerfoot, Calvert, Girard, etc.)

And even including the guys who were on that team 2 years ago, Johnson missed almost half the season with injury. Varlamov missed almost the entire season. Landeskog missed 20+ games. And Rantanen was a rookie.

We're nowhere close to that team from 2 years ago.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Can't use "dynasty" and describe the defense as decent.

They're off to a good start to the season (through 5 games). Well done.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Have you watched any senators games this early season? If they keep it up, you aren't getting a lot of lottery balls.
I tend to disagree.

42% corsi For. extremely high PDO. Getting massively outchanced but have 55% GF.

It's early, so funny things can happen, but this doesn't appear to be a team playing well and earning wins. It's a team getting massively outplayed and coming away with a few wins regardless.

And quite frankly, it's just 7 points in 6 games. That's well under a playoff spot pace anyway.

They'll get a great pick out of that.

Not to mention they still have their own, which could be anywhere from 12th or 14th to 20th or so?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I mean, thanks. Avs fans are pretty pumped about the future but I don't see how this is main board thread worthy.

talking about a team building something special?

Are there other teams you feel have been assembling something comparable?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad