Colorado Avalanche - Great young foundation

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Agreed, the Leafs need better D. They'll get bumped out of the playoffs in the first round again if they try to play shinny hockey in the playoffs.
Why are you making this about the Leafs??? Are you even going to watch the playoffs this year?

I mean, you predicted they wouldn't even make the playoffs last year, why should we listen.

Can we please get back to the Avs?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
What is there to bash? They're looking like they could make the playoffs this year. Young team. Biggest area of need is more defense, and Cale Makar and Conor Timmins will certainly help fill that gap.
Bashing the thread itself, how many times do we have to see 'x team is here to burn down your village' thread and it's just a huge cluster f***? These kind of threads are best for team boards imo.

And also, Timmins isn't looking so good right now. Still dealing with concussion symptoms and was recently sent home. Career could be in jeopardy.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I mean its okay... I wouldn't call it in the making... teams like Jets/Nash etc are going to be very tough... id put Colorado as a bubble team right now
yeah, which is pretty good for a team that has a decent young prospect base, and a core that is on averaget about 22 years old.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Clickbait title has inevitable result on discussion.

Ah, you changed it - not a dynasty anymore I guess.
people didn't like the term dynasty. Fair enough. They've got a great young foundation.....

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The Leafs are letting a lot of high danger chances get to Andersen. At least the Sens are managing to keep their opposition's shots to the outside. Sounds to me the Leafs are playing more firewagon hockey than the Sens.

I agree, look at the sea of red in front of Andersen:
TOR

Not even a vezina winner could take that team far in the playoffs.

Reactions: Steve Varlamov

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Bashing the thread itself, how many times do we have to see 'x team is here to burn down your village' thread and it's just a huge cluster ****? These kind of threads are best for team boards imo.

And also, Timmins isn't looking so good right now. Still dealing with concussion symptoms and was recently sent home. Career could be in jeopardy.
yeah, I hate that burn down your village stuff too. I changed the title, to make it a little less controversial.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Agreed, the Leafs need better D. They'll get bumped out of the playoffs in the first round again if they try to play shinny hockey in the playoffs.
It’s a shame Timmins has appeared to have had a Crosby/Hishon level concussion because after the year he had last year maybe the Avs and Leafs would have been really good trading partners with the Avs wealth of RHD and the Leafs wealth of secondary scoring. With Timmins being such a question mark now I’m not sure if a fit still exists.

When looking over team stats last night I was surprised to see the Leafs have given up the most scoring chances against so far, they will tighten up over the year I’m sure but they could really use another top 4 RHD.

Last edited:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I agree, look at the sea of red in front of Andersen:

Not even a vezina winner could take that team far in the playoffs.

the Leafs really live in your head don't they.

this is a thread about the Avs, and you just can't help yourself.

Reactions: Max Money

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It’s a shame Timmins has appeared to have a Crosby/Hishon level concussion because after the year he had last year maybe the Avs and Leafs would have been really good trading partners with the Avs wealth of RHD and the Leafs wealth of secondary scoring. With Timmins being such a question mark now I’m not sure if a fit still exists.

When looking over team stats last night I was surprised to see the Leafs have given up the most scoring chances against so far, they will tighten up over the year I’m sure but they could really use another top 4 RHD.

The funny thing is Phaneuf can play RD.... Maybe Doughty is right, the Leafs could use Phaneuf right now :laugh:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
A dynasty after 5 games...
I didn't mean to suggest they would be an elite team this year. Just that they're set up very well to become a great team, long term, in the near future.

Even their contract situation is pretty nice with Mackinnon and Landeskog signed for a few years for a total of $12 M against the cap.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
COL is a team w/ an obvious culture of losing which ran Pat Roy out of town because he couldn't stand losing any further.

Lose to win in the future mentality (i.e., Landeskog, MacKinnon, Makar) won't get them anywhere. Not to mention their Captain, Landeskog, is a complete coward... maybe he can be on the Cover of the Nordic version of GQ in the future.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Remember a few years ago when the Flyers had the best defense EVAR coming with Sanheim, Hagg, Myers, etc and they all turned out to be mediocre at best? Let's wait before we count the chickens before the hatch.

Also love how a thread about the Avs has turned into a Leaf bashing thread because the OP is a Leaf fan. Rent Free.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Remember a few years ago when the Flyers had the best defense EVAR coming with Sanheim, Hagg, Myers, etc and they all turned out to be mediocre at best? Let's wait before we count the chickens before the hatch.

Also love how a thread about the Avs has turned into a Leaf bashing thread because the OP is a Leaf fan. Rent Free.
I was never too big on the Flyers D prospects. They certainly got talked up a lot, but I always felt it was a bit BS.

But I'm not just talking about prospects. They've got some great young players on the team. Some solid prospects. And will likely be picking up another top pick this summer.

All while possibly making the playoffs.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
COL is a team w/ an obvious culture of losing which ran Pat Roy out of town because he couldn't stand losing any further.

Lose to win in the future mentality (i.e., Landeskog, MacKinnon, Makar) won't get them anywhere. Not to mention their Captain, Landeskog, is a complete coward... maybe he can be on the Cover of the Nordic version of GQ in the future.
Right... :laugh: Just like those Washington, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc etc 'lose to win in the future' mentality.

Reactions: RareDangles

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I was never too big on the Flyers D prospects. They certainly got talked up a lot, but I always felt it was a bit BS.

But I'm not just talking about prospects. They've got some great young players on the team. Some solid prospects. And will likely be picking up another top pick this summer.

All while possibly making the playoffs.

Yup they are in a good spot right now for sure. Not ready to call them a dynasty after they had a historically bad season then barely made the playoffs. Make them again, and show you are a playoff team and not a bubble team this season.

Not sold on their goalies. Varly is inconsistent a lot of the time and injury prone, not to mention getting older. Need to see if their new addition can be a starter for them. Forward core has some nice pieces on good deals which will help them.

However right now they need that defense to develop properly, goaltending to progress perfectly, and to add a ton more depth to the roster if they want to be called a cup contender nvm a dynasty.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
We have a bright future for sure, but still a long ways to go. The Ott pick could really send us into that guaranteed playoff position, but still not much more than that yet. Makar and Timmins need to come up still.

The only ? is goaltending. Varly is likely on his way out and who knows if Grubauer can be the #1 guy.

Now a thread about how the Avs are the template for what the Sabres and Oilers failed to do? I can get on board with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->