Friedman: Colorado and Vegas Kicking Tires on Mark Stone

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Back after the Sens lost in the eastern conference finals, did anybody see this shit storm that was about to hit them this past couple of years??

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Yeah I really do think Timmins has top pairing upside in the NHL in the mold of a Alex Pietrangelo type Defender. But, we also already have Zadorov, Girard, Barrie, and EJ in the NHL. And we have Makar, and Meloche in the system.

For a signed Stone on January 1st I'd offer Timmins + Colorado's own 1st(Top 5 Protected) + another prospect or young roster forward(Kerfoot/JTC/Kamenev type).

Thats way too much given up in the trade considering you are dealing with the Senators. I think Barrie gets traded before one of our younger defenders. Moreso cause I dont see them wanting to pay Barrie 8+ million in 2 years.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Sakic needs to remain smart here, if I was him I would offer Colorado's 1st but would say no to sending Ottawa'a pick back
Teams that will come calling will be contenders anyways, no chance a bottom feeder will be sending a top 10 pick for him

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Back after the Sens lost in the eastern conference finals, did anybody see this **** storm that was about to hit them this past couple of years??

Dont think anyone thought it would be close to this bad. The biggest problem for them has been Melnyk, that isnt anything new... But you could never know they would have so many off ice distractions.

I do think a lot of people thought they overperformed by a good margin though. We NYR fans felt like we really gave it away to Ottawa when they beat us. With that said, EK was unreal and they worked for it and never gave up so its not like they didnt deserve it.

We also knew they had some horrible contracts, a player like Ceci is very mediocre etc and Guy Bouchers system rarely has success over many seasons because it demands so much structure which i think players get tired of...

Reactions: CupsOverCash

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Back after the Sens lost in the eastern conference finals, did anybody see this **** storm that was about to hit them this past couple of years??
Not at all. I actually had a few conversations with friends about how they were a hair lucky they made it that far but adding 1 or 2 more pieces that werent block buster deals could have really made them a contender in the east. Then the did habs impression and everything is a joke now.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Given 1) how badly Sakic fleeced him in the Duchene trade and 2) We know Dorion doesn't learn from his mistakes like we saw with SJ, it doesn't surprise me AT ALL that Sakic would be kicking tires.

With that said the Avs are in a massive state of flux atm and will likely wait a year and see where the dust settles before making a move like this. With that said, depending on how the year goes I wouldn't be surprised if they revisited this at the TDL.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Sakic needs to remain smart here, if I was him I would offer Colorado's 1st but would say no to sending Ottawa'a pick back
Teams that will come calling will be contenders anyways, no chance a bottom feeder will be sending a top 10 pick for him

I wouldnt even offer the Colorado 1st. We are no guarantee to make the playoffs . In fact i think we are closer to being a Bottom 10 team than a playoff team. All depends on how the youngsters do. I wouldnt trade our 1st rd pick unless it was LOTTERY protected. As we just saw how Carolina won the 2nd pick with only a 3% chance.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I wouldnt even offer the Colorado 1st. We are no guarantee to make the playoffs . In fact i think we are closer to being a Bottom 10 team than a playoff team. All depends on how the youngsters do. I wouldnt trade our 1st rd pick unless it was LOTTERY protected. As we just saw how Carolina won the 2nd pick with only a 3% chance.
I would absolutely trade our 1st for an extended Stone. I doubt the Sens would make that trade, though.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not at all. I actually had a few conversations with friends about how they were a hair lucky they made it that far but adding 1 or 2 more pieces that werent block buster deals could have really made them a contender in the east. Then the did habs impression and everything is a joke now.

I wonder if any Sens fans were like well that run to the east finals was fun, now buckle up fans the next year or two is going to suck!

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm doing all I can if I am Ottawa to keep Mark Stone. The guy should be someone the Sens build around in the post-Karlsson world.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Why would Colorado move a very likely top 5 pick?

If I’m Colorado, they can’t have it back, no matter what they offer.
I dunno. A signed Mark Stone, elite defensively along with great offense too? That'd be hard to pass up. Now if that pick were to turn into Hughes, eh. But the chances of getting Hughes is at best 20%.

It would be a hard choice for sure but truthfully I'd probably take the gamble and go for Hughes.

Reactions: darnok

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Given 1) how badly Sakic fleeced him in the Duchene trade and 2) We know Dorion doesn't learn from his mistakes like we saw with SJ, it doesn't surprise me AT ALL that Sakic would be kicking tires.

Don't worry, like the Mike Hoffman flipping clause they put in the San Jose trade, they'll put a Matt Duchene fleecing trade in the Stone to Colorado trade where if Ottawa is a laughing stock because of the Stone trade in 2 years they get a conditional 1st for their troubles :sarcasm:

Gotta make a mistake before you can learn from it by adding a farce conditional pick to a trade around it

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I dunno. A signed Mark Stone, elite defensively along with great offense too? That'd be hard to pass up. Now if that pick were to turn into Hughes, eh. But the chances of getting Hughes is at best 20%.

It would be a hard choice for sure but truthfully I'd probably take the gamble and go for Hughes.

I think you are dead wrong on that one. Thats a very easy pass.

Stone will demand 8M+ if he even agrees to a SnT. Rantanen will probably get close to the same depending on how he does this season and how guys like Marner, Nylander, etc will do in comparison to him salarywise.

Avs still have no idea what they have or do not have with a crapton of their secondary forwards (Jost, Kerfoot, Kaut, Compher, etc.)..

We also are in the murder division and are a coin flip at best to make the playoffs and even after adding Mark Stone, we are probably only the 3rd or 4th best team in the division regardless.

The Avs really need to shore up their center position for good before they make big moves for wingers. And given the amount of salary Stone will command, we could find ourselves in the terrible situation of spending way too much money on the least important position in hockey while we lack a quality #2 C and a #1 D...

Our 2019 picks are pure gold in that regard. Avs fans of all people should know of the value of having two bonafide superstars down the middle. There is no way in hell we should throw away our best chance at recreating that model for freaking Mark Stone. There are around 3-5 potential #1 Cs in this draft. We better walk away with atleast one of these guys at next years draft (unless Ottawa surprises everyone but even then it looks like there will be nice quality prospect available in the top15-20 anyways). Avs have already 2 top line wingers. There is a cap in this league. Investing so much money and assets into the wing position is a horrible idea. Especially when the rest of your roster is still very much up in the air.

Also that pick fits the core age way better than Stone. Hell no to Mark Stone. If the Avs land a Hughes, Cozens or Dach in the draft and are confident that cap space won't be an issue down the line, they can revisit this on July 1st next year if they reallyy want to. Other than that they should stay the hell away.

Last edited:

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Having a top talent on an ELC, with several RFA years after that, is invaluable in a salary cap league.

Reactions: klozge

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Smart move would be the lesser of both picks

Reactions: greasysnapper

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Turkey-Vultures-300x204.jpg

exporta

Jul 30, 2005

I don't think anyone could predict a shot storm of this magnitude. For Ottawa, the SS was a combination of a number of factors manifesting at the same time.

In terms of standings, I was not surprised to see a hard working guy boucher team scrap their ways to game 7 of a conference final and out of the playoffs the following season.

I believe his record in Tampa Bay was similar to an extent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad