Proposal: Colorado and New Jersey (Devils' fan's perspective)

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
It is very easy to refuse. Makar is cheaper and exactly what the Avs need. They need him way more than they need Hischier + Hall who will account for 15M+ a year from now against the cap.

Very easy no.
What about Hughes and Hall?

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Well I mean for Hischer and Hall that’s an offer you can’t refuse. Hall one the league MVP two years ago a trophy Makar will never win.

I agree value wise but I'm obstinate in the sense that having a dynamic duo of MacKinnon and Makar on the ice together for up to 20+ minutes a night on the ice is pretty enticing and I'm not willing to trade Makar away. I don't mean to be disrespectful and I'm sure that I'm coming off as a fool but to me, Makar is untouchable with respect to trading him. It's really not a discussion worth having because you can get better value for Hischier and Hall elsewhere. Maybe the Stars would make that trade for Heskeinan +. Or the Canes might be another candidate. Not sure what their situation is with respect to C and W.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

Just curious but why are you, as a Leafs fan, pushing for a deal between the Avs and the Devils? I suspect there are more than a few Avs fans besides me that also consider Makar untouchable at this time.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m skeptical a GM on the hot seat who wants to win in this year’s playoffs is going to draw that hard of a line around a prospect who isn’t playing in the league yet. That’s not Sakic who doesn’t have a win now mandate. I don’t expect him to offer anything substantial for that reason.

If a team wants Hall they will offer more than other teams. That may mean an extra draft pick or a better prospect but someone who has to make a splash will do that. It doesn’t move the needle to an established young roster player but it probably does move an offer past a low first and a B prospect. If that is really everyone’s offer you move him to the team you think is the worst to maximize the pick and life goes on.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Thats certainly something to atleast think about.
That said I still would not do it at the end of the day. Hall is just not that desirable given his next contract and given that the Avs already have Rantanen and Landeskog who both should be here for the longterm.
And the moment I am trading Makar, I have to start looking for another Makar. And odds are no one is trading me a Makar.
Byram is too much of a wildcard to bank your complete future on D on.
At the end of the day I would probably be forced to desperately look around the league offering Hughes or Rantanen for a Makar level D to fix my defensive issues and odds are I won't even find one at the end of the day. Just not worth it given that I already have my #1 C/franchise forward in MacKinnon.
Rather keep the #1C/ potential #1D combo over the #1c/ potential #1 C combo.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Definitely. Makar was a much riskier pick than Patrick or Hischier. Patrick was thought to be the NHL-ready player of the draft and Hischier was probably thought of as more talented but not quite as developed (a bit riskier). Everyone else had more to prove. 3-5 ended up proving it, but not really fair to judge with the benefit of hindsight.

It's really way to premature to give a definitive judgement of the 2017 draft class. All of the Top 6 picks have already reached the NHL, so none of them is a bust. Makar looks extremely good, but the sample size of 28 games is way to small to proof anything.

NameGamesGoalsAssistsPoints
Hischier1714068108
Patrick145263561
Heiskanen114182947
Makar2861824
Pettersson90365389
Glass20347
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It's really way to premature to give a definitive judgement of the 2017 draft class. All of the Top 6 picks have already reached the NHL, so none of them is a bust. Makar looks extremely good, but the sample size of 28 games is way to small to proof anything.

NameGamesGoalsAssistsPoints
Hischier1714068108
Patrick145263561
Heiskanen114182947
Makar2861824
Pettersson90365389
Glass20347
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Definitively sure, we can’t make that call til the race is effectively over, but at 2 1/2 years in, we can see some pretty obvious trends. And Makar has been trending up for more than 28 games.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'd look into Taylor Hall if I were the Avs but I wouldn't sell the farm to get him. New Jersey is in a poor selling position and everyone knows it.

:avs

LW Taylor Hall

:devils

LW Colin Wilson
LW/C Martin Kaut
Conditional 1st round pick in 2020 (Top 10 protected, Avs can defer to 2021)

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'd look into Taylor Hall if I were the Avs but I wouldn't sell the farm to get him. New Jersey is in a poor selling position and everyone knows it.

LW Taylor Hall

LW Colin Wilson
LW/C Martin Kaut

based on what, exactly?

and I will pass on that deal, thanks.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
based on what, exactly?

and I will pass on that deal, thanks.

Based on the fact that the team is in a nosedive and Hall wants to play somewhere competitive. If NJ had a better start, or recovers still this season, that conversation changes and maybe he isn't traded at all. If he's traded, its not from a position of negotiating strength.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Based on the fact that the team is in a nosedive and Hall wants to play somewhere competitive. If NJ had a better start, or recovers still this season, that conversation changes and maybe he isn't traded at all. If he's traded, its not from a position of negotiating strength.

multiple teams will be bidding for his services at the trade deadline. He'd be the best deadline target in a long time. Thats a position of strength.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
multiple teams will be bidding for his services at the trade deadline. He'd be the best deadline target in a long time. Thats a position of strength.

And personally I don't think he makes it to the trade deadline in New Jersey. Feel free to quote me later in the season if I'm wrong. I think he's traded mid season, for less than you think. Still a decent package, but not a haul.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
And personally I don't think he makes it to the trade deadline in New Jersey. Feel free to quote me later in the season if I'm wrong. I think he's traded mid season, for less than you think. Still a decent package, but not a haul.

most Devils fans are fine with him being traded and most of us understand we won't get multiple prime assets, so.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013

LW Taylor Hall

LW Colin Wilson
LW/C Martin Kaut

LOL keep looking pal

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

LW Taylor Hall

LW Colin Wilson
LW/C Martin Kaut

I think this is the type of deal the Devils can expect. Which isn't a bad haul at all. Asking for any more is pretty greedy, we've seen how much these kind of players return , its always less than expected.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

LW Taylor Hall

LW Colin Wilson
LW/C Martin Kaut

So no one beats that? If not, then sure. My guess is some GM who wants to actually try to win this season can and will offer a bit more.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Probably someone will beat it. I wouldn't offer more is all I'm saying.

Martin Kaut was our 2018 1st round pick. Two 1st round picks is lots for a Taylor Hall with 1 foot out the door already.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Do you remember, when Colorado had/wanted to trade Duchene? Position of strength? Maybe Shero simply shouldn't take the first low ball offer from an opposing fan.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Do you remember, when Colorado had/wanted to trade Duchene? Position of strength? Maybe Shero simply shouldn't take the first low ball offer from an opposing fan.

Rumors about Duchene being on the table started when he had 3 years left on his deal.
He got traded when he had almost 2 full years left on his deal.
Not sure how this is comparable unless you want to trade us Palmieri after you have already quietly shopped him for over a year (which Shero hasn't)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad