Proposal: Colorado and New Jersey (Devils' fan's perspective)

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah I agree with all of this, I think Timmins looks awesome and I would love to have him in the lineup going forward, but Zadorov's value in the Playoffs is huge and we already have good young blueliners in Makar, Girard and Byram. I think that means Timmins is the guy who goes.

My prediction is Bowers, Timmins, Jost and a 1st. Which is a pretty damn good haul.

I also think there's a holdup in the deal somewhere... Otherwise it would be done by now. Maybe NJ demanding Byram... Avs saying Timmins.

Hold up is probably that this is way too much to give up for less than a year of Hall, that he has no intention of participating in any sort of sign and trade scenario which makes it impossible for Shero to get the return he wants right now and probably rules out the Avs in the first place given that they should not be in the business of paying a huge price for pure rentals, that the Avs can't really afford the 10M+x6-8 year extension Hall wants even if he would be willing to sign given that many of our young studs are due for a new contract fairly soon and that Sakic probably loves Timmins and especially Jost way more than you do...

Also Zads is a dead Av walking unfortunately due to the expansion draft comin up soon and Byram being on his way (similar IMO how Barrie was with Makar in the system). If Sakic makes a play for Hall, odds are high Zads will be involved unfortunately...

Danvalanche

Feb 13, 2019
I don’t see sakic giving up much for hall. The balls in every other teams hands other than NJ. Hall is going to leave and every team knows it so why rush. Colorado doesn’t need Hall immediately or at all really (once the injuries stop) Guy hasn't really meshed well anywhere he goes and is gonna ask for a huge raise. Not ideal when you got a couple big signings in the near future already as well.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yeah I agree with all of this, I think Timmins looks awesome and I would love to have him in the lineup going forward, but Zadorov's value in the Playoffs is huge and we already have good young blueliners in Makar, Girard and Byram. I think that means Timmins is the guy who goes.

My prediction is Bowers, Timmins, Jost and a 1st. Which is a pretty damn good haul.

I also think there's a holdup in the deal somewhere... Otherwise it would be done by now. Maybe NJ demanding Byram... Avs saying Timmins.

I agree that Zadorov is more proven, but he's only got the 1 RFA year left and might price himself out of Colorado on a longer term deal. Trading Timmins because we have Zadorov this season is a risky move for the long term.

I also don't know why the Avs need Hall badly enough to give up that many assets for a guy who is a UFA at the end of the season. Even with the injuries, we're the 2nd highest scoring team in the Western Conference, and don't have the same desperate need for secondary scoring that we had in the recent past.

I also don't understand why anything would be done by now. It's only mid-November. If Hall is moved, I'd expect it to be closer to the TDL, when teams have a better idea of where they stand and NJ can maximize their return.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
AVS are set for stars right now. Once their own are signed they might make a big move but i dont expect any huge moves for a while with them. Sakic is only spending on role players. Id imagine alot more of the league adopts this style as everyone else contending is up by the cap limit.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
I don’t see sakic giving up much for hall. The balls in every other teams hands other than NJ. Hall is going to leave and every team knows it so why rush. Colorado doesn’t need Hall immediately or at all really (once the injuries stop) Guy hasn't really meshed well anywhere he goes and is gonna ask for a huge raise. Not ideal when you got a couple big signings in the near future already as well.

Plenty of reasons to make a trade sooner rather later. Less competition since not as many teams have probably checked in, rival doesn't have a chance to bid and Hall gets acclimated to X team which only helps come April.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
AVS are set for stars right now. Once their own are signed they might make a big move but i dont expect any huge moves for a while with them. Sakic is only spending on role players. Id imagine alot more of the league adopts this style as everyone else contending is up by the cap limit.

Sakic must have offered Panarin huge money by mistake then.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
The only way that New Jersey were to get Makar or Byram is if they drafted them. Whoever thinks otherwise needs to put down the pipe.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The only way that New Jersey were to get Makar or Byram is if they drafted them. Whoever thinks otherwise needs to put down the pipe.
As a Devils fan I agree. Top pairing , stud D who are still cost controlled don’t get traded for an upcoming UFA .Even if it is a sign and trade/ extended Hall.
Only way is for a huge overpayment of something ridiculous that would never happen like a Pastrnak Draisaitl etc coming back .

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I remember one scout had Makar going 1st overall and our board was under the impression that he wrote his article on bath salts!

Jim Bennings had Makar at #1 IIRC. He ended up with Pettersson...not bad.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
There was some concern and rightfully so to take a player from Junior A 1st overall.
He was awesome no doubt but hard to gauge if playing vs weaker competition made him look better than he really was.
Answer to that is hell no .
It would take a lot of guts to go off the board at number 1 and not take one of Nico / Patrick . If that pick didn’t turn out , you’d be out of a job .
Of course in hindsight there is no doubt the draft order would change. Makar Heiskanen and Pettersson at 1

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There was some concern and rightfully so to take a player from Junior A 1st overall.
He was awesome no doubt but hard to gauge if playing vs weaker competition made him look better than he really was.
Answer to that is hell no .
It would take a lot of guts to go off the board at number 1 and not take one of Nico / Patrick . If that pick didn’t turn out , you’d be out of a job .
Of course in hindsight there is no doubt the draft order would change. Makar Heiskanen and Pettersson at 1

Definitely. Makar was a much riskier pick than Patrick or Hischier. Patrick was thought to be the NHL-ready player of the draft and Hischier was probably thought of as more talented but not quite as developed (a bit riskier). Everyone else had more to prove. 3-5 ended up proving it, but not really fair to judge with the benefit of hindsight.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
When was the last time a player in AJHL was drafted 1st overall, no one could predict he'd be this good. He was playing below major junior and Colorado took a smart gamble, we know we're not getting him. Get off your high horse.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Did you see Makar's goal last night against the Jets? Now consider the Avs playing MacKinnon and Makar 20 minutes each game. Now you understand why it doesn't make sense for the Avs to trade away Makar.
Well I mean for Hischer and Hall that’s an offer you can’t refuse. Hall one the league MVP two years ago a trophy Makar will never win.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Well I mean for Hischer and Hall that’s an offer you can’t refuse. Hall one the league MVP two years ago a trophy Makar will never win.

It is very easy to refuse. Makar is cheaper and exactly what the Avs need. They need him way more than they need Hischier + Hall who will account for 15M+ a year from now against the cap.

Very easy no.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->