Proposal: Colorado and New Jersey (Devils' fan's perspective)

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
As a devils fan I think a good realistic return would be Zadorov Kaut and a first .
I’d try for adding to Hall (Bastian ?Pick ? ) for Zadorov and Newhook .

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Yeah, value wise definitely. I agree with you. It's just that I don't see the Avs wanting to trade Makar because of what he brings to their D. Believe me, as an Avs fan that suffered long and hard because of the utter lack of D, Sakic won't be looking to trade Makar unless it's a can't refuse a trade situation because they're willing to give us this bucketload in return. Think someone like Hughes. Is that something you're really willing to give up?
Well I’m a leafs fan but I don’t think the Devils consider that lol.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I mean he is not wrong.
Avs simply need Makar far more than they do Hischier + Hall..
Add salary concerns (would give the Avs 5 fowards they have to sign to huge contracts in the next few years) and it probably would be a quick no from Sakic.
Nah they could make it work salary wise and Makar could be replaced by Byram value wise it’s tilted heavily in the Avs favour.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Nah they could make it work salary wise and Makar could be replaced by Byram value wise it’s tilted heavily in the Avs favour.

I watched the Avs in preseason with both Byram and Makar and respectfully disagree with your assessment at least into the near future. Byram should not be rushed.

Reactions: MacBradley

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Would be interesting to add Simmonds to the deal (with retention) as well, though a roster forward would need to be sent back (eg. Jost) to make numbers work.

Hall + Simmonds (50% retained) for Jost + Zadorov + 2020 1st + conditional 2021 1st (if Hall resigns).

Landeskog — Mackinnon —- Rantanen
Hall —————- Kadri ———- Burakovsky
Donskoi ———- Compher—— Simmonds
Nieto ————— Bellemare — Calvert
Wilson / Nichuskin / Kamenev

Girard — Johnson
Cole —— Makar
Graves — Barberio

The defense would probably need an addition to make up for Zadorov leaving, at least in the short term until Byram and/or Timmins are ready; so perhaps one of the depth forwards or another pick could be used to get a rental D.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Would be interesting to add Simmonds to the deal (with retention) as well, though a roster forward would need to be sent back (eg. Jost) to make numbers work.

Hall + Simmonds (50% retained) for Jost + Zadorov + 2020 1st + conditional 2021 1st (if Hall resigns).

Landeskog — Mackinnon —- Rantanen
Hall —————- Kadri ———- Burakovsky
Donskoi ———- Compher—— Simmonds
Nieto ————— Bellemare — Calvert
Wilson / Nichuskin / Kamenev

Girard — Johnson
Cole —— Makar
Graves — Barberio

The defense would probably need an addition to make up for Zadorov leaving, at least in the short term until Byram and/or Timmins are ready; so perhaps one of the depth forwards or another pick could be used to get a rental D.
The Av's literally don't need any retention to do a deadline deal and won't be adding extra value to a trade to get retention. Also Simmonds seems to have really dropped off in play and I wouldn't be interested in paying for him either.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The Av's literally don't need any retention to do a deadline deal and won't be adding extra value to a trade to get retention. Also Simmonds seems to have really dropped off in play and I wouldn't be interested in paying for him either.

I was one of Simmonds biggest critics coming into the year, but he has actually been playing quite well.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
We are not adding Simmonds to a hall deal

If we are sellers, we have vats hall and simmer and probably will get the best deals by trading them separately

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
i think this would be a fair deal

to colorado : hall and .... mueller or carrick , 4th round

to jersey : byram , zadorov , 2nd round pick ( turns into a first if hall resigns )

or

straight up makar for hall

what u guys think
Hall is good but he is not worth that haul.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Good point about retention, you’re right about that. For a moment I forgot about cap accrual, and obviously with that in mind cap space won’t be an issue whatsoever for the Avs in any deadline day deal. Basically unlimited cap space due to running with $7.4 million space most of the year (or at least until now).

If there’s anything we lack in the bottom 6 it’s some size and toughness (not that it’s the be-all-end-all per se), particularly if the 3rd line ends up being Jost-Compher-Burakovsky, and although Simmonds might be past his best, in a depth role he would be a very strong physical addition in the playoffs.

Regarding a trade involving Hall, I don’t think the cost of Simmonds would be that great. More like the difference between Zadorov + Kaut + 1st + conditional 2nd, and Zadorov + Jost + 1st + conditional 1st.

Basically I see Simmonds as something of a sweetener who could bump Kaut + conditional 2nd into Jost + conditional 1st (all else being equal) or something thereabouts.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Fwiw i don't think the avs trade Zadorov.

I think the avs are more likely to include Timmins.

Sakic knows playoff hockey and I think he knows how valuable it is to have a guy like Zads out there.

The nice thing is that Zadorov is still a RFA at the end of the year, so he can't just walk. It really comes down to how much he wants to stay in Denver and play on the 3rd pairing and PK and whether he wants to go somewhere else to get a better long term chance at the top 4. I'd like to keep Z around for another 2-3 years, at a cap hit similar to what he has now ($3.2m).

And, I don't think Timmins is going anywhere. He's shown flashes during the preseason that he's exactly the kind of guy we want in our top 4. I think he's penciled in next to Byram on our second top pairing for the next 10+ years, assuming he can stay healthy. EJ certainly isn't getting any younger.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Where in the hell would Wayne Simmonds even fit into Colorado’s lineup if they add Hall?

New Jersey is much better off trading him separately. While Simmonds hasn’t been awful, Colorado has no use for him.

Reactions: Smitty426

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Did you see Makar's goal last night against the Jets? Now consider the Avs playing MacKinnon and Makar 20 minutes each game. Now you understand why it doesn't make sense for the Avs to trade away Makar.
Makar's not being traded to the Devs or otherwise. Lets move on please.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Seriously New Jersey, you had your chance at Makar and blew it.

I remember one scout had Makar going 1st overall and our board was under the impression that he wrote his article on bath salts!

Taking a dman 1st overall is always risky but Makar is looking like the real deal... and I love Nico Hischier, who I think will turn out to be one of the best 2 way centers in the league.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I remember one scout had Makar going 1st overall and our board was under the impression that he wrote his article on bath salts!

Taking a dman 1st overall is always risky but Makar is looking like the real deal... and I love Nico Hischier, who I think will turn out to be one of the best 2 way centers in the league.

I never saw a draft list that didn't have Patrick or Hischier 1st. Neither forward was considered to be an elite talent, so obviously Makar, Heiskanen, and Petterson weren't either.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I never saw a draft list that didn't have Patrick or Hischier 1st. Neither forward was considered to be an elite talent, so obviously Makar, Heiskanen, and Petterson weren't either.

There was one scout or "draft expert" that had us taking Makar at #1. Unfortunately, I don’t remember his name but I do remember the heat he got from our board for even thinking Makar would go 1st.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
The nice thing is that Zadorov is still a RFA at the end of the year, so he can't just walk. It really comes down to how much he wants to stay in Denver and play on the 3rd pairing and PK and whether he wants to go somewhere else to get a better long term chance at the top 4. I'd like to keep Z around for another 2-3 years, at a cap hit similar to what he has now ($3.2m).

And, I don't think Timmins is going anywhere. He's shown flashes during the preseason that he's exactly the kind of guy we want in our top 4. I think he's penciled in next to Byram on our second top pairing for the next 10+ years, assuming he can stay healthy. EJ certainly isn't getting any younger.

Yeah I agree with all of this, I think Timmins looks awesome and I would love to have him in the lineup going forward, but Zadorov's value in the Playoffs is huge and we already have good young blueliners in Makar, Girard and Byram. I think that means Timmins is the guy who goes.

My prediction is Bowers, Timmins, Jost and a 1st. Which is a pretty damn good haul.

I also think there's a holdup in the deal somewhere... Otherwise it would be done by now. Maybe NJ demanding Byram... Avs saying Timmins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->