Collapse of the PAC-12: Oregon State & Washington State left in the dust

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Getting CBS to pay half the fee for a third of the ratings just isn’t happening.

If you’ve watched the breadth and depth of the Coach Prime Hype Train, you can see why I might ask the philosophical question of whether the Big West really fell in stature or just regressed to the mean when Tark was forced out.

Reactions: DaveG

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Colorado and Nebraska were old Big 8/12 rivals. They paused because they split but it is very much still a rivalry.

I'm a Colorado football fan. The Colorado-Nebraska rivalry was created. They weren't "natural" rivals... Nebraska was a national power, and really didn't "care" about Colorado.

Nebraska and Oklahoma were the powers of the Big Eight, and everyone else was just kinda there... It wasn't like a Kansas-Mizzou situation...

Colorado just started printing schedules for fans in the late 80s that had the Nebraska game in red. If we want to be good, that's the game we have to win. And Colorado got good in the 90s. Nebraska was the biggest game of the year... Nebraska did not feel the same way... their biggest game of they year was their obstacle in the path to a championship.

Colorado actually became a title contender was the only reason the game meant something. It was THE GAME to Colorado. to Nebraska, it was just another obstacle; no different than if K-State or Iowa State was good that year.

A real rivalry is when no one gives a damn about records or standings, you just hate the other team so much that "If we go 1-11, the one win better be..." kind of thing. Like Army-Navy. THAT is the best rivalry in sports, solely because they care far less about anything other than beating each other.

There have been ZERO STAKES in the championship landscape to Army-Navy in like 60 years, and neither of them care a single iota. Their season is DEFINED by who wins that game. If you offered them "11-1 but you lose to Army/Navy vs 1-11 but you beat Army/Navy" they'd HAVE TO THINK HARD about it.

If Nebraska had to pick between 11-1, loss to Colorado vs 1-11 win over Colorado, they're 100% picking 11-1 every single person, every single time. (Army/Navy, it would be an interesting poll).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm a Colorado football fan. The Colorado-Nebraska rivalry was created. They weren't "natural" rivals... Nebraska was a national power, and really didn't "care" about Colorado.

Nebraska and Oklahoma were the powers of the Big Eight, and everyone else was just kinda there... It wasn't like a Kansas-Mizzou situation...

Colorado just started printing schedules for fans in the late 80s that had the Nebraska game in red. If we want to be good, that's the game we have to win. And Colorado got good in the 90s. Nebraska was the biggest game of the year... Nebraska did not feel the same way... their biggest game of they year was their obstacle in the path to a championship.

Colorado actually became a title contender was the only reason the game meant something. It was THE GAME to Colorado. to Nebraska, it was just another obstacle; no different than if K-State or Iowa State was good that year.

A real rivalry is when no one gives a damn about records or standings, you just hate the other team so much that "If we go 1-11, the one win better be..." kind of thing. Like Army-Navy. THAT is the best rivalry in sports, solely because they care far less about anything other than beating each other.

There have been ZERO STAKES in the championship landscape to Army-Navy in like 60 years, and neither of them care a single iota. Their season is DEFINED by who wins that game. If you offered them "11-1 but you lose to Army/Navy vs 1-11 but you beat Army/Navy" they'd HAVE TO THINK HARD about it.

If Nebraska had to pick between 11-1, loss to Colorado vs 1-11 win over Colorado, they're 100% picking 11-1 every single person, every single time. (Army/Navy, it would be an interesting poll).
Every rivalry has to have a start somewhere to mean something, and everyone’s going to target a team better than yours. If you share a border in this sport, decent chance they’re a rival because you’re likely recruiting the same players.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Every rivalry has to have a start somewhere to mean something, and everyone’s going to target a team better than yours. If you share a border in this sport, decent chance they’re a rival because you’re likely recruiting the same players.

Yeah, no. Nebraska shares a border with six states. The longest is South Dakota, who isn't FBS and has the lowest population.

Missouri is the shortest border, but Missouri football was BETTER than Colorado football for a really long time.

Kansas was the second longest border, but there's Kansas and Kansas State. The Iowa border is longer long than Nebraska's border with Colorado, but Iowa State is conference and Iowa isn't.

Colorado (Again, I grew up rooting for CU) is a "rival" of Nebraska because Nebraska was a national power and CU wanted to step to that level and beat them.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Big Ten just announced their conference schedule for the next 5 years:

What I think they should be doing is going back to 8 conference games, with each team having 5 protected opponents, and 3 rotating on an 8-year schedule, so that a player who plays for a Big Ten school for the full 4-year schedule will see every team in the conference at least once during this span.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Big Ten just announced their conference schedule for the next 5 years:

What I think they should be doing is going back to 8 conference games, with each team having 5 protected opponents, and 3 rotating on an 8-year schedule, so that a player who plays for a Big Ten school for the full 4-year schedule will see every team in the conference at least once during this span.

No, with 18 members now the B1G should have at minimum 9 with the possibility of 10 conference games.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
No, with 18 members now the B1G should have at minimum 9 with the possibility of 10 conference games.
The math works perfectly for 8 conference games though. As stated in the post you quoted, over a 4-year span each school would play each of the others at least once, which is good enough for players that play at a Big Ten school for all four years they are eligible to do so.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
The math works perfectly for 8 conference games though. As stated in the post you quoted, over a 4-year span each school would play each of the others at least once, which is good enough for players that play at a Big Ten school for all four years they are eligible to do so.

The same math applies to 9 conference games with your 5 protected and making it 4 rotating over 3/6-years instead of 3 over 4/8. So players that play the minimum 3 years would play each of the others at least once and each matchup would happen more frequently.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
The same math applies to 9 conference games with your 5 protected and making it 4 rotating over 3/6-years instead of 3 over 4/8. So players that play the minimum 3 years would play each of the others at least once and each matchup would happen more frequently.
But I want more OOC games between P5 schools, including the protection of certain rivalries that would otherwise be lost to realignment, and that can be accomplished to a greater extent with the Big Ten, Big 12 and SEC reducing their conference games.

In at least one case, Kentucky hasn't played a non-Louisville P5 school since 2005, a non-Indiana Big Ten school since 1935, a Pac-12 school since 1976, a Big 12 school since 1983, or a non-Louisville ACC school since 1990 during the regular season.

I want to see Kentucky play more regular season football games against fellow basketball bluebloods like Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, and North Carolina. The fact that basketball bluebloods are meeting on the football field should make for interesting storylines and commentary during the TV broadcasts,

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yeah, no. Nebraska shares a border with six states. The longest is South Dakota, who isn't FBS and has the lowest population.

Missouri is the shortest border, but Missouri football was BETTER than Colorado football for a really long time.

Kansas was the second longest border, but there's Kansas and Kansas State. The Iowa border is longer long than Nebraska's border with Colorado, but Iowa State is conference and Iowa isn't.

Colorado (Again, I grew up rooting for CU) is a "rival" of Nebraska because Nebraska was a national power and CU wanted to step to that level and beat them.
Nebraska Alumni seem to move across one of those borders in droves.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

With the brands of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington all being in one conference now, having the exposure of them playing one another the exposure of playing 10 conference games is greater than playing 8 like the SEC.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
I just want there to be some semblance of news regarding the future of WSU.
There’s no real news about this, other than Oregon State and Washington State offering mediation… prompting Washington to file a motion to demand the end of the lawsuit the Pac-2 filed against the other members. Nobody’s really saying what the endgame is, but I suspect it’s obvious by now based on the rumors.

It’s a bargain asking to be admitted to any of the B1G, ACC, or b12, then the Pac-2 will share the credits depending on who accepts them. It almost certainly won’t be the B1G. Both the b12 and ACC have seen a rumor or two about this. This got made interesting (felt like extra bargaining) when the b12’s Brett Yormark started negotiating with Gonzaga. Rumors here are of several skeptical members of the b12 about the Zags. The b12 also made a point of leaking that they thought Gonzaga would join without initial media payouts the way Southern Methodist has done with the ACC… excuse me while I laugh at that one.

There are hints of a decision by the end of the month. Eh, I’ll believe it when a conference website starts adding logos and not a minute sooner.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
As should be the case. This is the last payday chance for Oregon State and Washington State, and the departing schools don't care what they leave behind. The soon-to-be-departeds can suck a lemon for a year.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
This is the last payday chance for Oregon State and Washington State, and the departing schools don't care what they leave behind.
Please. I just ate.

I understand your sentiment, but the situation is so nuclear that it cannot possibly end with OSU & WSU getting everything they want. Part of that situation is the damages phase of House v NCAA, which got awarded class action status.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Please. I just ate.

I understand your sentiment, but the situation is so nuclear that it cannot possibly end with OSU & WSU getting everything they want. Part of that situation is the damages phase of House v NCAA, which got awarded class action status.

I'm not sure if the Pac12 network cable overpayment claw back case has been settled either?

I suspect what will ultimately happen is a portion of revenue the 10 teams would have received for 2023-24 will be placed in Escrow pending the resolution of legal issues.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
I'm not sure if the Pac12 network cable overpayment claw back case has been settled either?

I suspect what will ultimately happen is a portion of revenue the 10 teams would have received for 2023-24 will be placed in Escrow pending the resolution of legal issues.
We are continually told that the correction of the over-collection of Comcast is being corrected throughout this year. I’d want more confirmation of that, though.

Reactions: mouser

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Judge issues TRO in OSU and WSU favor. But stayed until at least Monday pending appeals.

Meanwhile the two schools are talking with Mountain West about two year alliance with potential for merger in future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad