Collapse of the PAC-12: Oregon State & Washington State left in the dust

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Man this is rough as an ASU fan. Eventually it's just going to be 2 big super conferences, and the playoff will just be the winner from each playing each other for the championship.
I still think we end up with 3 super conferences here simply as a way to avoid an anti-trust situation.
68-72 teams makes it a lot harder for the government to say "hold up" than just having the SEC and Big We Suck At Math running everything. Especially when there's a number of senators that have nothing better to do than litigate the hell out of their states schools being left out of the party.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Isn't Pac-12 the better and bigger conference? I don't really watch a lot of college sports, but I would rate the conferences based on what I gather as...

1. Big 10
2. SEC
3. Pac-12
4. Big 12
5. ACC

Maybe CU was just too bad and had to go to an easier conference?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Isn't Pac-12 the better and bigger conference? I don't really watch a lot of college sports, but I would rate the conferences based on what I gather as...

1. Big 10
2. SEC
3. Pac-12
4. Big 12
5. ACC

UCLA and USC are leaving the PAC to join the Big Ten next (2024) season.

PAC-12 has done an awful job of monetizing their media rights prior to the departure and doesn‘t look any better now.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Colorado always felt better with their big 8 rivals than when the Pac-12 poached them (so I don't have much sympathy for the Pac-12 on this loss, USC and UCLA is a different story). Granted, a decent portion of their big 8 rivals are gone (Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Missouri), leaving only (KSU, Kansas, Okla St, Iowa St.). This may also help their football team, as Deion has name recognition nationally, he's now playing teams in Texas and Florida where he is revered.

Reactions: DaveG

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

1. Big 10
2. SEC
3. Pac-12
4. Big 12
5. ACC

SEC is the cream of the crop when it comes to College football, or atleast has been for the past decade or so. Big 10 is strong. Big 10 added a Blue blood in football in USC and their crosstown rival, SEC added two blood bloods in Texas and OU. College conferences have constantly been realigning for ages, you could go as far back as the collapse of the SWC which led to the Big 12 and the first conference championship game in 1996. Since then we've seen a ton of movement (ACC raiding the Big East, SEC/Pac-12/Big-10 raiding Big-12, Big-10 poaching ACC, and now this recent movement).

It'd basically be like if each NHL team could form their own division with their own media rights deals, and possibly their own cap. Quickly you'd see a division of Leafs, Habs, Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, Blackhawks, Capitals, and Kings (or for geographic sense maybe Red Wings).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
SEC is the cream of the crop when it comes to College football, or atleast has been for the past decade or so. Big 10 is strong. Big 10 added a Blue blood in football in USC and their crosstown rival, SEC added two blood bloods in Texas and OU. College conferences have constantly been realigning for ages, you could go as far back as the collapse of the SWC which led to the Big 12 and the first conference championship game in 1996. Since then we've seen a ton of movement (ACC raiding the Big East, SEC/Pac-12/Big-10 raiding Big-12, Big-10 poaching ACC, and now this recent movement).

It'd basically be like if each NHL team could form their own division with their own media rights deals, and possibly their own cap. Quickly you'd see a division of Leafs, Habs, Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, Blackhawks, Capitals, and Kings (or for geographic sense maybe Red Wings).
Oh no doubt SEC is the best in terms of throwball, but considering all sports, would you say that Big 10 has them beat overall? They got good throwball, great basketball, solid baseball, and the only one with hockey.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Oh no doubt SEC is the best in terms of throwball, but considering all sports, would you say that Big 10 has them beat overall? They got good throwball, great basketball, solid baseball, and the only one with hockey.
I believe SEC is stronger in baseball. At the end of the day, all that really matters is Football and television regions for revenue/media rights. The ACC is probably going to fall apart at somepoint and they have probably the strongest Basketball and are pretty good at football.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
SEC has won 9 of the last 15 baseball championships and the BIG 10 has only sent 2 teams to the College World Series in that span. SEC also has been solid in Basketball with more Championships than BIG 10 has.
In all 3 sports the SEC has more championships and among more teams. Only 4 SEC teams does not have a championship in one of those 3 sports and 2 of them came from the Big XII in 2012.
The only thing the Little 10 has is hockey.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This really isn’t that much about wins and losses in sports. It never has been.

Thinking about realignment in geographical or winning percentage on the field terms is completely anachronistic. Why even mention on the field football records at this point? They aren’t informational to the actual topic. Cracks me up when fans turn this into a “well CU was 3-7 last year and Boise has won 10 games like 5 of the last 8 years so obviously Boise should get a seat!!!”

Nobody in Madison Wisconsin cares that the SEC trounces the B1G in all-around achievements when they are getting that comically big check for their athletic department every year.

The Buffs aren’t heading back to the Big 12 because they miss their old rivals, half of whom aren’t even there. They are heading back because that conference has guaranteed money from strong media partners in Fox and ESPN and a commissioner in Brett Yormack who knows brands and business. Plus they now get a big inventory of games in the Eastern and Central time zones and in Texas and Florida. The Big 12 doesn’t want CU because of their shitty football and basketball teams, they want the Denver market, more Mountain time zone inventory and to further destabilize the PAC. The goal isn’t Colorado. It’s Colorado+++.

Meanwhile Larry Scott and George Kliavkoff have run the PAC into the ground - as of media days 5 days ago they still didn’t have a media deal to announce, the PAC might as well put their games on QVC and Kliavkoff was up on the podium basically as the Iraqi information minister meme claiming everything is great, the longer they don’t have a media deal the more awesome things will be and that nobody else is leaving the conference and he’s not worried.

Last edited:

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA

Blame it all on PA, not the SEC…

In the early 90’s, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference - the 12 Division II PA State Schools - lobbied to the NCAA, and got, a conference championship game for football, so the conference had a clear cut team to send to the D-II playoffs. The SEC saw that and liked the idea, so they added Arkansas and South Carolina to get to 12 teams.

This whole carousel was started by 12 schools you’ve probably never heard of…

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

In the early 90’s, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference - the 12 Division II PA State Schools - lobbied to the NCAA, and got, a conference championship game for football, so the conference had a clear cut team to send to the D-II playoffs. The SEC saw that and liked the idea, so they added Arkansas and South Carolina to get to 12 teams.

That’s a cool fact!

Truth be told if you look at newspaper headlines from a 75…even 100 years ago there has always been drama about schools and their alignments. The drama and flux had existed since the beginning. Every generation just pines for things to be the way they were during their formative years as college sports fans.

A lot of folks right now would blame this modern era of movement all on Boston College. Their move to the ACC was seen as the loose brick that brought down the entire proud and powerful Big East. The SWAC dying is one thing - but it happening to the Big East was proof any conference with self-serving members (I’m not even saying that in a bad way) and poor leadership was vulnerable. This was the conference of the Northeast plus Miami, VaTech and others. They had markets, championships in football and basketball and a rich, rich history. And within a few years they were dead as a football conference and something completely different as a hoops only conference.

It’s all about timing and leadership.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The remaining Pac 12 has to be in a frenzy right now. If they were having issues with securing a new media deal, what are their chances of getting a lucrative one when the conference appears to be open season for poaching?

And WSU and OSU have to be sweating buckets. If a wholesale teardown happens, they're going to be the odd men out in terms of power five interest.

But to be clear, it's easy to overstate their new issues. Losing Colorado is miniscule compared to the LA schools.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

That makes sense, I always thought the Big 8/Texas teams combo creating the Big 12 created it (so I actually wasn't blaming the SEC). But, interesting that predates it. But, I believe the primary issue was the collapse of the College Football Association and NCAA vs the Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Colorado always felt better with their big 8 rivals than when the Pac-12 poached them (so I don't have much sympathy for the Pac-12 on this loss, USC and UCLA is a different story). Granted, a decent portion of their big 8 rivals are gone (Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Missouri), leaving only (KSU, Kansas, Okla St, Iowa St.). This may also help their football team, as Deion has name recognition nationally, he's now playing teams in Texas and Florida where he is revered.
Our university has a complicated relationship with California. There's been the lingering accusation that the university would prefer to collect out of state tuition from Californians than use those slots for in state students. I doubt the move to the Pac-12 would have gone through without Nebraska leaving for the Big10 creating the sense that conference was dying.

Particularly when Prick Neuweasel was in charge there was the fear of the fanbase of going to the PAC.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
That makes sense, I always thought the Big 8/Texas teams combo creating the Big 12 created it (so I actually wasn't blaming the SEC). But, interesting that predates it. But, I believe the primary issue was the collapse of the College Football Association and NCAA vs the Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma.
The lack of a real tournament also played into these imbalances.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Enough is enough, change the damn names of the conferences. Christ.

Funny thing is I went to one of those schools for one year before transferring to a real school. Most students at those 12 schools have also never heard of those schools.

The concept of Hell can't scare me; I once lived in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
There are few things less interesting about my life that I can tell you other than that I once stayed at the Best Western in Lock Haven.

Anyhow, this annoys me as a Washington fan living near CU now, but I get it. Pac-12 is a trash fire and we need to do something so that I'm not watching terrible football until past midnight on Saturdays.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

SEC commissioner Roy Kramer had the idea of divisions and a championship game. The SEC added South Carolina and Arkansas effectively killing the Southwestern Conference because it was the only non Texas school remaining. This lead to 4 Texas (Tx Tech, Tx A&M, Tx, Baylor) teams joining the Big 8 to form the Big 12.

Most people thought the SEC Championship Game was an insane idea because it forced a team to play an extra game because the NCAA Football “Championship” was basically a popularity contest amongst the Media. Imagine the Stanley Cup awarded to the most popular team after one playoff series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad