Player Discussion Colin White - C/RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Instead of claiming I'm twisting things and calling anything brought up an excuse, maybe offer up a reason why it would not have an impact or should not be considered?

I’d love to - but stop ending every post with some “intellectual insult”.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yeah it was in the rookie touney wasn't it? Either way he didn't have much of a training camp being injued in Mid Sep and playing his first game back in Nov.
It was in a preseason game on a shot block

His situation and the Norris situation are different....Norris was more behind the 8 ball than White

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It was in a preseason game on a shot block

His situation and the Norris situation are different....Norris was more behind the 8 ball than White

Its time for Norris, Bath, or Even Brown to compete for playing time vs White instead of CW being auto pegged for the 1St line and Brown auto demoted to Belleville.

Sink or swim for White.

Reactions: DJB

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Its time for Norris, Bath, or Even Brown to compete for playing time vs White instead of CW being auto pegged for the 1St line and Brown auto demoted to Belleville.

Sink or swim for White.

You know i don't see eye to eye with you on White....but in this instance Norris's injury had a big impact on his training to turn pro whereas White would have done all the training, dev camps etcand a broken arm is a 6 week slow down

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You know i don't see eye to eye with you on White....but in this instance Norris's injury had a big impact on his training to turn pro whereas White would have done all the training, dev camps etcand a broken arm is a 6 week slow down

I just want a fair, open competition for 20-24 year olds who have earned their chance to compete for minutes. If White is the best Center option I want him getting 1C minutes etc. I don’t want anyone slotted for contract reasons at this point.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I just want a fair, open competition for 20-24 year olds who have earned their chance to compete for minutes. If White is the best Center option I want him getting 1C minutes etc. I don’t want anyone slotted for contract reasons at this point.

Slotted because of contract value. Can't see that

Numbers games, one ways, waiver options that's a fact of life in pro sporrs

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Slotted because of contract value. Can't see that

Numbers games, one ways, waiver options that's a fact of life in pro sporrs

He could have been sent to the minors last year - the Sens chose not to. IMO there was probably 2-3 F in Belleville playing better than him or at least worthy of a shot. If he was on a $1.5 deal I bet he would of been sent down...

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Contradicting yourself in two different threads. Not shocking. Curious why you feel this way about 20-24 year old forward while completely supporting the trade for a 26 year old fringe NHL defenceman who will be taking the spot from a 20-24 year old dman.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Norris was at dev camp in June on the ice participating in drills and taking shots. He said at dev camp he had been on the ice for the last 6 or 7 weeks by that point. He missed 3 months of his final college year, and that stunts development for sure, he also wouldn't have been able to put the same work into getting stronger you might have seen had he not been injured but the first month of offseason for a pro player is typically recover from the season, as the offseason presses they move on to strength and and speed, then conditioning. by Jun when players pick up their offseason training and switch over to more strength training he had 5 months out of a 6 month recovery done.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Contradicting yourself in two different threads. Not shocking. Curious why you feel this way about 20-24 year old forward while completely supporting the trade for a 26 year old fringe NHL defenceman who will be taking the spot from a 20-24 year old dman.

Mostly because we don’t pay him $26 million. I like CW, just not the contract. Nice chat.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Norris was at dev camp in June on the ice participating in drills and taking shots. He said at dev camp he had been on the ice for the last 6 or 7 weeks by that point. He missed 3 months of his final college year, and that stunts development for sure, he also wouldn't have been able to put the same work into getting stronger you might have seen had he not been injured but the first month of offseason for a pro player is typically recover from the season, as the offseason presses they move on to strength and and speed, then conditioning. by Jun when players pick up their offseason training and switch over to more strength training he had 5 months out of a 6 month recovery done.

Yes but he was also held back in that camp in a no contact jersey. Rehab is a lot different than strength training. No injury, my guess is he would have arrived in camp much stronger than he did. My guess this year is he arrives really strong. When i first read up on him after we acquired him, what i liked was his combine results. It tells you a lot about his attitude

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I agree, Colin White doesn’t have the time to train with all the vacations, fishing trips etc. People need to back off and give him some space. He only turns 24 this season. Plus I heard his golf game is getting pretty good. If we hide him between Brady and Bath he might be able to get back to 40 pts.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I agree, Colin White doesn’t have the time to train with all the vacations, fishing trips etc. People need to back off and give him some space. He only turns 24 this season. Plus I heard his golf game is getting pretty good. If we hide him between Brady and Bath he might be able to get back to 40 pts.
Maybe you should unfollow him on Instagram.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Norris looks to be more athletic than White. Being on the sidelines for six months is pretty tough. White needs to work on his skating, it’s pretty average right now and he gets knocked off the puck easily.

White’s toolset is pretty average all round actually, nothing really stands out. That’s not a big problem but he needs to compete harder than what he showed to be effective. A guy like Cirelli competes hard and uses his IQ to get the edge above the opposition. I haven’t seen that from White yet.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I am concerned about White and hope he rebounds next season into a better player than last season. However, given that White has a one-way NHL contract, he will be on the final roster. Norris, Batherson, L. Brown, Chlapik, etc. will be competing for the open roster spots, not with White. They might play higher in the lineup than White if they out-perform him, but one of them will possibly have to go back to Belleville due to the contract situation and waiver issues.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I am concerned about White and hope he rebounds next season into a better player than last season. However, given that White has a one-way NHL contract, he will be on the final roster. Norris, Batherson, L. Brown, Chlapik, etc. will be competing for the open roster spots, not with White. They might play higher in the lineup than White if they out-perform him, but one of them will possibly have to go back to Belleville due to the contract situation and waiver issues.

Ya... that’s what I’m afraid of. The contract becomes a problem for the development of other players (and signing other players)

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I feel like for whatever reason White and DJ Smith didn't get off on the right foot together.

Oddly enough I've heard over and over about how White is a coaches dream, perfect soldier kind of player on more than one occasion.

But theres no doubt that he came into this season riding high after inking that big contract of his. And it's possible that he had a new found sense of entitlement in some ways, and might not have had the offseason that the team expected of him. And we know now that would not sit well with DJ Smith and the culture hes trying to build here.

I think he was just taking off in a great way under DJ right before Covid hit, and that he comes out flying next season and puts all of the naysayers to sleep for good.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
On behalf of all members of this board, I offer my congratulations to Sweatred.

You have 190 posts in this thread (well, last time I checked, 2 minutes ago)

This must be an all-time ultimate record of the most posts by a single poster in a single thread, in any category and in any sport on this website. This is true dedication to bring out the best in this player.

:clap:

I appreciate that along with the fact that you made a post in under 1000 words so I was able to read the entire post for once.

There aren’t many posters in this forum who see the holes in White’s game so I would expect as much.

If you were smart you’d notice how DJ plays White and recognize that he is aware of those faults too. If you were smart you wouldn’t use my eval on white as a insult toward me... you’d recognize that I am confident and probably closer to accurate with it than the 4000 posts in his contract thread who loved the deal. Instead you spend time (I think you have the second highest number of posts here, or at least words, (maybe less because of the deleted ones) coming up with comments like this.

Let’s hope White comes back stronger and willing to play hard. I’d love to see him carry some of our rookies and secure out Center ice or RW needs. It would be great if he could put up a $4 type season or possibly even start cancelling out some of the negative value he is building up here early on.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Whites got the same issue Turris had. Taking a while to fill out. I still have some faith because he was too good in college and at the WJC to think the talent isn’t there somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad