Player Discussion Colin Blackwell

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's obviously been a small sample and we'll see what happens but RIGHT NOW it's not 6 guys going for 3 spots. Blackwell is in and it's 5 guys going for 3 spots.

Yes, Lemieux and Rooney have been good 4th liners and PDG and Howden have been ok 4th liners. Blackwell has been a 2nd liner.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I think Blackwell is going to struggle against more physical defensive groups.

He's an ideal utility player for this team in that- when everyone's healthy, I'd have him as a 4th liner, but certainly he has the hands and IQ to play top 9 role when needed.

Similar to Dominic Moore in that respect.

But when everyone is healthy there will be some decisions for Quinn as to who sits. PDG, Howden, Blackwell, Lemieux, Rooney are five guys fighting over likely 3 slots.

The Bruins are. He was fine.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Expansion draft is interesting too of course. Seven forward protection spots: Panarin/Kreider/Zibanejad, Chytil, Buch, then two out of Blackwell/Howden/Gauthier/Lemieux/Strome. Guess there will be more info on Blackwell and Gauthier by the end of the season.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So far this kids been great but why do I feel like there's another ridiculous long term, Smith type contract on the horizon?
Because you cannot possibly exist without making every single topic about how you hate Quinn and Gorton?

The floor is yours. Please enlighten all as to what kind of Neil Smith type deal that you see Gorton & JD lavishing on the kid. Let’s not keep us waiting......

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Hes in the top 6 rn cuz 3 top 6 players are currently out. Really like Blackwell hope we protect him in the expansion draft

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
2nd liner is a bit much, no? Have our expectations fallen so low?

Agree on great looking bottom six player. Best case he's a cheap Fast replacement.

I'll be watching his passing closely.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
feel like we say this about every player ever that we don’t have full faith in

I feel like its a statement that you can apply to most of our roster.

It's a weird one to apply to Blackwell though. 3 of his 4 goals this year have come off of deflections, you don't really get those goals in open space away from traffic (2 of his 3 last year basically came in the crease too. Technically it was 3 of 3, but one of them was an odd man rush so that doesn't really count.)

If the worry is about his body holding up, I can buy that. He may fall apart, but he'll do so trying to work through the chaos.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I don’t see a fourth liner here. He’s too small and spends too much time getting cleaned out to play that role.

I see a middle six player that can actually score, and as @Machinehead said, it would be cool if he became our Bryan Rust or Roope Hintz.

I have no clue what to do with him long term though. Way too many wingers with even more good ones inbound (Kravtsov, Pajuniemi, etc.).

Reactions: Machinehead

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
this guy is a minor leaguer forced into a situation and taken advantage of it. nothing new here. it shows that prospects aren't ready and the lack of depth. he is a 27 year old and wasn't an NHL regular for a reason. its not like hes a 23 year old and wasn't given a fair chance like GOAT who I like. . he is this year's Paul Carey Matt Puempel type of signing. shows lack of depth in the organization.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
this guy is a minor leaguer forced into a situation and taken advantage of it. nothing new here. it shows that prospects aren't ready and the lack of depth. he is a 27 year old and wasn't an NHL regular for a reason. its not like hes a 23 year old and wasn't given a fair chance like GOAT who I like. . he is this year's Paul Carey Matt Puempel type of signing. shows lack of depth in the organization.
Blackwell has about the same amount of points in 1/3 the games as Puempel did in his year here. Sure, he was signed to be this year’s Puempel, but he’s destroyed that expectation.

Sure, he may just recede back into obscurity, but hell, maybe he won’t.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He’s performing way better than a minor leaguer. That’s not an accurate label for him based on what is happening. Also this organization has very good wing depth... it’s the deepest position by a good bit.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011

do you watch the games? Serious question.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I get the skepticism with Blackwell because he is older and hasn't had a full time NHL job mostly but, every developmental path takes a different turn. His has just happened to be a wild one. Who's to say he can't continue to be an effective NHLer?

If a player continues to play well with every opportunity he gets and every stint he gets, maybe he just deserves to have a prolonged look that teams for whatever reason aren't giving him.

Reactions: haveandare

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad