Player Discussion Colin Blackwell

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He was pretty good for Nashville last year, apparently. Both his top line and underlying numbers. So, while 7 points in 10 games is obviously a bit of a surprise, it's not like him being effective is totally out of left field.

Someone here mentioned JAM as a late bloomer. PA Parenteau didn't "make it" until he was 28 or whatever. Moulson and Burrows were both in their mid-20's IIRC. I mean I'm not saying that's what we're seeing with Blackwell but it's not as if it's something that never happens.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
He was pretty good for Nashville last year, apparently. Both his top line and underlying numbers. So, while 7 points in 10 games is obviously a bit of a surprise, it's not like him being effective is totally out of left field.

Someone here mentioned JAM as a late bloomer. PA Parenteau didn't "make it" until he was 28 or whatever. Moulson and Burrows were both in their mid-20's IIRC. I mean I'm not saying that's what we're seeing with Blackwell but it's not as if it's something that never happens.
Yeah, his underlying numbers in Nashville indicated that there was definitely solid, NHL caliber play there. I wonder what Nashville fans thought of him.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Not sure if anyone mentioned him yet, but Derek Ryan broke out when he was what? 29? 30? I don’t think either player ever was or ever will be good enough to be a top 6 player, but I see something in Blackwell. I like his stocky build, speed, and overall feel for the game. If he becomes a consistent middle 6 forward, that would be awesome.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Not sure if anyone mentioned him yet, but Derek Ryan broke out when he was what? 29? 30? I don’t think either player ever was or ever will be good enough to be a top 6 player, but I see something in Blackwell. I like his stocky build, speed, and overall feel for the game. If he becomes a consistent middle 6 forward, that would be awesome.
I think he has solid hockey IQ as well. He just plays responsible in all areas of the game.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

not just the at but he’s legitimately progressed every year offensively

went from a lousy college player for 4 years to an ok ahl player, to a very good ahl player, to the NHL with 10p in 27. this can very well be his progression

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t see a fourth liner here. He’s too small and spends too much time getting cleaned out to play that role.

I see a middle six player that can actually score, and as @Machinehead said, it would be cool if he became our Bryan Rust or Roope Hintz.

I have no clue what to do with him long term though. Way too many wingers with even more good ones inbound (Kravtsov, Pajuniemi, etc.).

I feel like that entire Brassard line was a whose who of random players. Brassard less so because he was a high pick but he was considered a bust before the Rangers.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Sometimes players just fit. Sometimes that lasts for a long time, other times it doesn't. So far Blackwell has fit.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
So, if we have, in no particular order:

Panarin
Mika
Kreider
Buch
Strome
Laf
Kakko
Chytil
Kravtsov

I think Blackwell is showing solid enough to stake a claim to a 4th line spot.

Edited.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

There’s also Mike Knuble, though the size difference is a thing there. Of course, there’s always Martin St Louis too, though he started off from a higher floor to begin with. If Blackwell does a similar thing, relative to his floor, he’ll be a 40-50 point guy.

It’s impossible to know right now if this is situational success that will fade or really a guy taking the next step towards a solid career. Completely impossible. The odds are that it’s situational, but anyone making a prediction here is full of it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Panarin
Mika
Kreider
Buch
Strome
Laf
Kakko
Chytil
Kravtsov

Edited.
I would add Rooney. As solid a 4C as the team has had in I have no idea how many years.

Reactions: pld459666

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Panarin
Mika
Kreider
Buch
Strome
Laf
Kakko
Chytil
Kravtsov

Edited.

I’d exclude Kravtsov for now until his KHL season is over, he gets to come over and we see if he’s in the rotation or 100% in Hartford this season.

Otherwise it looks like Blackwell has the best claim for the final top-9 spot when all forwards are back and healthy.

Among the rest it’s a really close call so let them compete it out in practice. By being centers Rooney and Howden have upper hands on two spots. Lemieux, PDG, Gauthier are fighting for the last one.

I’m sure there will be folks wasting pages blaming Quinn for whoever he chooses (and using it as reasonable grounds for Gorton to fire him, lol)

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I’d exclude Kravtsov for now until his KHL season is over, he gets to come over and we see if he’s in the rotation or 100% in Hartford this season.

Otherwise it looks like Blackwell has the best claim for the final top-9 spot when all forwards are back and healthy.

Among the rest it’s a really close call so let them compete it out in practice. By being centers Rooney and Howden have upper hands on two spots. Lemieux, PDG, Gauthier are fighting for the last one.

I’m sure there will be folks wasting pages blaming Quinn for whoever he chooses (and using it as reasonable grounds for Gorton to fire him, lol)

Lol

I added Krafty as hes playing in a men's league now and will be given every chance to succeed here as a top 9 forward once his season ends.

When when Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil and Kravtsov mature mentally and physically that is some serious size and skill

Reactions: kovazub94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad