Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Sid fights the life back into the Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@ColePens . . . @IcedCapp and I were doing a back and forth in the GDT than maybe Geno and Gally together doesn't make sense. They both like to hold the puck, and it limits options. When it was Gally with the two fastest guys we've got, McCann and Tanev, it worked, because he could hold it and had options.

That probably should be a line for a bit (since I think Geno will be out for a bit). Gally-McCann-Tanev.

Maybe Sid won't pout and will accept Horny for a bit. All of a sudden, when Geno and Rust return, we've got . . .

Jake-Sid-Horny
???-Geno-Rust
Gally-McCann-Tanev

Maybe you use Bjugs as the spiff to move Johnson. You find a winger for Geno and Rust (nothing crazy, just someone with speed and enough hands where it can work like it did tonight with Gally with McCann and Tanev). You add a Daley type defenseman. All of a sudden, maybe there's something there.

That said, we played hockey's Little Sisters of the Poor tonight, on the back to back (who fell off after the first as YOU called it) and they had a guy named Elvis in net who was better at impersonating a Vegas lounge act than a NHL goalie. So, this may just have been like the Steelers beating up the Bengals. A feel good moment but something you shouldn't read anything into . . .

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It wasn't that we won, it was the energy that came after Sid's fight. They felt like they cared. They felt like it mattered. They felt like the team was together. That is what mattered the most to me. I noticed it right after the fight. The players had that level of urgency.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
anybody who chooses NOT to wear sweats is a damn fool

As @ColePens would say . . .

e3bc10fb7aae928df3fe354f5c957030.gif

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Great game by Pettersson, McCann, Tanev, Sid, Galchenyuk, Blueger and yes Jack Johnson.
View attachment 261125

I legitimately didn't notice the Gudjohnson pairing that much and that is the best compliment I could give.

Side note: Kahun = Kawho? Dufuq is this guy suppose to bring?

Many plusses abound though. Gonna be loooooooong year in Ohio.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It wasn't that we won, it was the energy that came after Sid's fight. They felt like they cared. They felt like it mattered. They felt like the team was together. That is what mattered the most to me. I noticed it right after the fight. The players had that level of urgency.

Concur 100% with this.

Conversely, what if they were playing a team that would've pushed back (with a goalie who wouldn't give up softies)?

VERY cautiously encouraged, but no more for now . . .

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Craziest part of the night is the Guds/JJ pairing was decent. That’s some mind blowing shit.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I legitimately didn't notice the Gudjohnson pairing that much and that is the best compliment I could give.

I'll be stunned if Torts lasts the month.

Reactions: Corvidae

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Don't be fooled. Guds/JJ struggled keeping pucks in. Flubbed passes. Ruined some o-zone time. They are still an issue. But the one Horny goal was a tremendous quick decision by JJ to whip it to the net as fast as possible. It was very good.

They both showed why they affect this team negatively.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
- Tanev is nothing like Hags. He’s like if Hags found his mitts and hockey sense.

He plays tenacious hockey, can absolutely fly, handles the puck well, and best of all he can dish off pretty dirty.

Really loving this guy. Maybe JR finally did something right in UFA.

- Guess Malkin decided to get his annual injury over with early.

- Watched the Jackets agt the Leafs yesterday... Leafs pissed all over them and now they were on a b2b, so not going to read too much into tonight.

Jackets are just a crap team that seemed to run out of gas and will by the third.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Columbus is even worse than I thought they were going to be.

@pixiesfanyo is the only person ive seen say they have the best D in the division and have a shot at staying in WC contention. Most of every Media outlet had them finishing 8th in Metro. It is an interesting take but given how we started in the opener you kind of hope he's right and there is reason for us to be optimistic.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Don't be fooled. Guds/JJ struggled keeping pucks in. Flubbed passes. Ruined some o-zone time. They are still an issue. But the one Horny goal was a tremendous quick decision by JJ to whip it to the net as fast as possible. It was very good.

Did either one of them kill Geno tonight like Alternate Captain Brain Dead? Nope. But you just can't help yourself, can you?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Peat and Khelandros

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@pixiesfanyo is the only person ive seen say they have the best D in the division and have a shot at staying in WC contention. Most of every Media outlet had them finishing 8th in Metro. It is an interesting take but given how we started in the opener you kind of hope he's right and there is reason for us to be optimistic.

They have two of the best defensemen in the Metro, but I think saying they have the perhaps best defense is beyond charitable.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

Well the lowest of low expectations probably doesn't hurt my POV. And JJ being sly sneaking that +3 in. :laugh:

Reactions: ColePens

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I don't know what CBJ's cap situation is, but after seeing Elvis, one would think DeSmith would have been a better option. [DeSmith just saved 36/39 for the WBS win].

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
- Tanev is nothing like Hags. He’s like if Hags found his mitts and hockey sense.

He plays tenacious hockey, can absolutely fly, handles the puck well, and best of all he can dish off pretty dirty.

Really loving this guy. Maybe JR finally did something right in UFA.

- Guess Malkin decided to get his annual injury over with early.

- Watched the Jackets agt the Leafs yesterday... Leafs pissed all over them and now they were on a b2b, so not going to read too much into tonight.

Jackets are just a crap team that seemed to run out of gas and will by the third.

No, Malkin's annual injury comes later. Tonight was Alternate Captain Brain Dead taking him out.

Reactions: domaug

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
+ Tanev - I may like players like Tanev a little too much. But dear gods do I like him. And I don't just love the fact he is up in the opposition's faces 24/7 (in a fair world, he gets an assist for McCann's first). I love that he's got smarts. There was a lot of times where a north/south play would have risked the puck and he made a smart east/west play using his skating to escape. Lot of times you'd have thought he was the C he was back so quick. Not sure he's got the ideal offensive smarts for his spot - okay, I am sure, he doesn't, I'm not sure whether he's got a workable amount - but dear gods he's fun. And good.

+ Sid - We were purring along nicely before that fight but it was a great statement and he had a bunch of great shifts. This team will not go gentle into that good night. I'm just gutted he didn't get the Gordie Howe hat-trick.

+ McCann - Might be a strong C option going forwards

+ Blueger + ZAR - Kept being a strong 4th line duo

+ Pettersson - Does look like there's another level of offensive upside there left to give.

+ Murray - MOOSE.

+ Everything but...

- Don't be injured Geno. Also, don't play like that on the PP Geno (but do play like that at ES). @ColePens pointed out Chucky's play for Letang's goal - too often we've invited pressure at the points by trying to pass it out of trouble there. Chucky just surging into the zone and forcing them away from the points is a bit of what we needed. Prefer it if Bjugstad isn't injured too.

- Not converting on any of the hat-trick possibilities.

- I thought we did a good job of crowding out the slot and taking away second chances, but we didn't do a wonderful job from clearing from there at times.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Reactions: NEPA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad