Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Sid fights the life back into the Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Love that he's willing and what the fight did for the team but hated watching Crosby fight. I was so worried about a concussion or broken hand. Glad it worked out and motivated the team. That was exactly the sort of game this fan needed to renew his enjoyment of hockey.

Btw, Hornquist's screen game is incredible.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
He can be frustrating to watch flubbing chances but I really liked Simon the last 2 games. Thought he made some really nice puck plays and passes.

Hornqvist had 7 shots last night. That’s f***ing awesome.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Hockey chat related - shot wise, JJ/Gudbranson and Pettersson/Schultz didn't exactly have great nights in terms of the volume, but Dumo/Letang absolutely killed it. Does that feel right to people as a reflection of how the game looked?

Not at all! JJ-Gudbranson had a good game. Not only both +3 but only gave up 1 High danger chance the whole game. When you compare that to the Pettersson-Schultz pairing that gave up 7 high danger chances. I absolutely hate when people are not fair on these boards. The JJ-Gudbranson pairing did exactly what you would want from that pairing and that is to limit the other teams scoring chances while playing tough physical clear the net and muscle the puck away against the board style. They did that while still providing Scoring chances with Gudbranson 10-6 and JJ 8-5 scoring chances for and against.

I think the Pettersson-Schultz pairing will be fine but they gave up 7 of the 8 high danger scoring chances for that game. They need to play more defensive minded.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Another solid night of watching hockey...

esy-010877292.jpg
https://t1.thpservices.com/previewimage/gallil/47415f9ed210276b95e18051e36b1b51/esy-010877292.jpg
Yep, but socks have to be off.

I’m not an animal.

Reactions: MrBurghundy

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Concerning that Gally looks to want to be a playmaker and not a shooter. We really need to see that shot. He wasn't brought in here to be a playmaker.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Hope theres a plan for Marino to get into games cuz it's super pointless to have him up here if not.
If they don't trade a D and keep him up, I'd like them to get him in on the 3rd pair vs the quicker teams. Especially the ones in the Metro. I'd settle for JJ-Marino atm.

Please don't ruin this whole rookie season of his only practicing with NHL'ers. He needs to see game action.

I would send him down and let him play top pairing minutes and play in all situations, PP, and PK. Wait for the inevitable injury and then give him his chance. Honestly at RD who is he taking out of the lineup? Gudbranson has played very well not only his first two games this season but all preseason and all games last year with the Pens including playoffs. I see no way of putting Marino in the lineup unless injury or trade. No way do I want Marino Playing his off side as an NHL rookie.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think a lot of people have been way too certain that Horny is done after a bad half season coming off of multiple concussions. If he is recovered to where he was to start last year, he'll still be a very valuable player.

Arguing his fit on that line is fair though. I know most people like the idea of building chemistry and sticky with a set line. Personally, I love the idea of throwing some change up's with the lines. I wouldn't make him full-time on Sid's wing for similar reasons combined with him simply getting older, but I think 3 or 4 shifts there a game could be great. Especially shifts where they are starting in the O-Zone. It's just such a different look and changes how the D has to handle the line compared to Simon.

Preach it my man.

I get why people want a bit more certainty than Sully provides but the truth is line juggling is just an NHL norm and there's good reasons for it. For one thing, it's just necessary to deal with injuries and losses of form. For another, head coaches in Sully's position do need to be experimenting and seeing what may give them an edge come the play-offs, both in terms of working out the best combinations and working out injury cover. And to a certain extent I think it just helps keeps things fresh and players on their toes to never make things too settled, which is necessary over an 82 game grind. Particularly in circs like Sid and Horny. There's really no mileage in trying to make Sid like the pairing if he doesn't. Even if I thought Sid and Horny were unequivocally always the best use of the Pens' resources, I'd still be okay with changing it up pretty regular.

They're not though. I don't think we should judge the pair on last game where Sid wasn't properly tuned, and they were strong last season, but Sid's pretty good with a lot of people and probably exploits open games better with others, and there's reasonable grounds to think Horny can be a difference maker on the third line.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Preach it my man.

I get why people want a bit more certainty than Sully provides but the truth is line juggling is just an NHL norm and there's good reasons for it. For one thing, it's just necessary to deal with injuries and losses of form. For another, head coaches in Sully's position do need to be experimenting and seeing what may give them an edge come the play-offs, both in terms of working out the best combinations and working out injury cover. And to a certain extent I think it just helps keeps things fresh and players on their toes to never make things too settled, which is necessary over an 82 game grind. Particularly in circs like Sid and Horny. There's really no mileage in trying to make Sid like the pairing if he doesn't. Even if I thought Sid and Horny were unequivocally always the best use of the Pens' resources, I'd still be okay with changing it up pretty regular.

They're not though. I don't think we should judge the pair on last game where Sid wasn't properly tuned, and they were strong last season, but Sid's pretty good with a lot of people and probably exploits open games better with others, and there's reasonable grounds to think Horny can be a difference maker on the third line.
match-ups are so important too. If we're playing a team with slower D, Simon or Rust are probably more valuable. But if we're playing a D that struggles winning board battles or clearing the crease, give Horny some chances up there.

Reactions: Peat

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Of course.

Watch the first game and the Pens lay an egg

Not able to watch game 2? They bust down the doors and beat up a rival.

Dammit.

Well done Pens:)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not at all! JJ-Gudbranson had a good game. Not only both +3 but only gave up 1 High danger chance the whole game. When you compare that to the Pettersson-Schultz pairing that gave up 7 high danger chances. I absolutely hate when people are not fair on these boards. The JJ-Gudbranson pairing did exactly what you would want from that pairing and that is to limit the other teams scoring chances while playing tough physical clear the net and muscle the puck away against the board style. They did that while still providing Scoring chances with Gudbranson 10-6 and JJ 8-5 scoring chances for and against.

I think the Pettersson-Schultz pairing will be fine but they gave up 7 of the 8 high danger scoring chances for that game. They need to play more defensive minded.

Maybe, but you don't buy a race horse and stick it in front of a plough either; you don't want them trying to be something they're not. See how it looks with more games, but maybe they will be too offensive minded as a pairing to stick.

As for JJ and Gudzilla - no question they're on the wrong side of the group consensus here and they've got to work a little harder to win praise - but that said, even when they're playing well, you can still see their weaknesses and them slowing down the game. Sully's style works best when no pairing's letting the opponent up, and that's maybe an issue.

Concerning that Gally looks to want to be a playmaker and not a shooter. We really need to see that shot. He wasn't brought in here to be a playmaker.

Chucky's never been a volume shooter and I'm not sure that's going to be a problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad