Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: SHORTY AVALANCHES A WIN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
late to the party, but:

I'm stoked for tanev. Early in the second I said out loud i couldn't wait for him to finally score bc he was more than due for the reward. i don't love the contract, but he has been noticeably Good every game - reminds me of hags.

I wanted to crawl through the radio and throttle Dumo and Tanger on MacKinnon's goal.

The radio isn't the same, particularly while driving through a large, heavy storm, but all game this sounded like one they a) deserved to win that b) i was half-expecting them to lose, so the end result was *chef's kiss*

Especially since i'm still heated about that game in denver last year. The *whole team* got to take the plane home after that ****show. ridiculous.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Contract is still stupid. But the player is good. Real good.

I think the contract was necessary to get a guy JR felt like the team needed to maximize the next 3-4 years of Sid and Geno's prime. I get why he did it.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Im not sure I've understood the contract hate.

When its time to rebuild, we're still going to need to hit the contract floor. And a guy like Tanev will do wonders for the new crop of kids that will be learning the ropes of being a professional hockey player.

I don't want a middling team of overpriced FA signings when Geno and Letang and even Sid are done. I'd much rather suck for 3 or 4 seasons and hopefully get lucky enough to draft a new batch of superstars that will carry this team into future greatness.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

When its time to rebuild, we're still going to need to hit the contract floor. And a guy like Tanev will do wonders for the new crop of kids that will be learning the ropes of being a professional hockey player.

I don't want a middling team of overpriced FA signings when Geno and Letang and even Sid are done. I'd much rather suck for 3 or 4 seasons and hopefully get lucky enough to draft a new batch of superstars that will carry this team into future greatness.

The money was a little much, but the real objection was to the term. It's still a legit objection, but by the time it matters, the Pens will have bigger issues to deal with.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
He did it in 2016. He did it by not screwing with what was working and giving Geno the left overs. I'm figuring Rust and Gally. I'm figuring he'll keep Jake-Sid-Simon and ZAR-Blueger-Tanev. And, I figure he'll add McCann in Kahun's place to Lafferty and Hornqvist.

THAT SAID, if you want more of the 2016 model for Geno, then it would be McCann-Geno-Rust (not unlike Kunitz-Geno-Rust).

Will be interesting to see what Sully does . . .

One other thing people like @Pancakes don't appreciate: Geno has been on the short end when it comes to not playing with a puck moving defenseman. Now, all of our pairings have one. It makes a huge difference.

EDIT: The other thing he doesn't appreciate is that Geno and Tanev were the only players bringing effort until Geno got hurt, but I digress . . .

not dinging anyone bc that sample was regrettably small, but Geno was a man on a mission right up until disaster shift. i h a t e it for him, but here's hoping he comes back even hungrier, seeing the team may be on to something. These haven't been crazy PDO wins - each one has been earned, despite some gaudy goal differentials on the road, or like they got gifted in places the last two or even three seasons. I believe in him, especially since the potential mix of players to play with him between callups and IR (trade????) looks better rn, too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

What makes you think Letang, Geno, or Sid will be done in 5 seasons?

Geno would be the only one I’d predict.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Say in the next 5 years we start a rebuild - a guy like Tanev is a 2nd round pick all day, and maybe more by that time. He'll be a 31-33 year old who has (hopefully) been productive, and will have a cap hit that has seen the cap rise at least 3 times since he signed the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad