Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: SHORTY AVALANCHES A WIN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Having trouble identifying their victory song this season.
Short snippet of it at the beginning of the clip.
Is it Beyonce that i'm hearing?
Anyone help me out?

Reactions: BHD

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Letang played the two on one fine.

Beyond getting out of the way entirely, there isn’t an objectively bad way to play a two on one with players that good. If you don’t get lucky, it’s a great scoring chance either way.

And I knew people wouldn’t crap on Tanev. There were a good amount of Tanev jerseys at his return to Winnipeg and the crowd still loved him. He’s just the prototypical fan favourite, and it’s impossible to describe him to people who aren’t familiar with him. Guys who can fly and be responsible and make a play now and then are always valuable.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Letang played the two on one fine.

Beyond getting out of the way entirely, there isn’t an objectively bad way to play a two on one with players that good. If you don’t get lucky, it’s a great scoring chance either way.

And I knew people wouldn’t crap on Tanev. There were a good amount of Tanev jerseys at his return to Winnipeg and the crowd still loved him. He’s just the prototypical fan favourite, and it’s impossible to describe him to people who aren’t familiar with him. Guys who can fly and be responsible and make a play now and then are always valuable.
He is a young Patric Hornqvist

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If Bjugstad's bland, 95% of the league is bland and it thus becomes a meaningless designation.

For a guy with his size and skillset, he is bland. He is highly skilled and he is absolutely gigantic. You would never know by how he plays. That's what I meant by that. He has the gifts to be a difference maker.

I think this team needs to move at least 2 players, because the young guys are showing they deserve to be playing right now and they can't even be up in the NHL with a healthy roster. The Penguins have almost no roster flexibility, they have 21 skaters who require waivers in the NHL and the Penguins don't usually waive NHLers. You need to move a few of those guys so you have roster spots/expanded roles for guys like Lafferty, Marino, Simon and ZAR.

When healthy, the Penguins appear to have something like this right now:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Kahun-Lafferty

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Johnson-Marino
Riikola-Gudbranson
Ruhwedel

You only need a little bit of cap space, so moving Gudbranson is probably more than enough for what you need. However, you still need to move 1 extra player to become roster compliant and you need to move a regular forward to get Lafferty in the lineup (if you want him in the lineup). That plus the fact that you're going to have to move Bjugstad eventually are the big arguments for moving Bjugstad IMO. Moving Ruhwedel in addition to Gudbranson is probably the smartest roster move, but I'd be a little concerned with taking that much away from their RD depth and Lafferty isn't in the starting lineup with those moves.

Edit: I'd also throw out the idea of moving Kahun and Gudbranson for no long-term cap back. I think you can move Gudbranson right now, but you probably only can move him in a money for money swap. However, I think Kahun may be an enticing enough addition to be able to move Gudbranson for rentals and draft picks, similar to the McCann/Bjugstad trade. Even with his struggles this year, he's still on an ELC and had a solid rookie year last year.

I think Lafferty is where we should head in terms of a 3C. I'd pair him with Tanev/Rust and Hornqvist. I think the line would be a possession monster.

I dunno if he's been mentioned in the thread, but a word for Blandisi.

We kind of picked him up off the trash pile, but he caught my eye as a rookie in NJ and he's brought speed and grit in his own right. Usually makes the smart play too. He can be my 4th line call-up any time.

I like what he brings actually. He's one of those dudes where you are watching a game in October where the weather is cold and shit outside, people are just kind of there, the arena is dead, Blandisi gets a tap on the shoulder pads and plows someone through the boards to wake the building up.

This lineup is kind of fun right now because players are going to get pushed out, but it's hard to say who right now.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
For a guy with his size and skillset, he is bland. He is highly skilled and he is absolutely gigantic. You would never know by how he plays. That's what I meant by that. He has the gifts to be a difference maker.

He occasionally uses his size and you can't help think "Damn, if he did that 90% of the time instead of 10% he'd be the 3rd line centre every team would be clamouring for"

He's got similar offensive skills to Jordan Staal, maybe even a little better but he's not got anywhere close to Jordan's cycle game.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Guentzel - Crosby - McCann
Rust - Malkin - Galchenyuk
Tanev - Lafferty - Hornqvist

That 4th line the coaching staff could get creative with. You can make it skilled or make it physical. I know Simon will be a fixture on the top line with Sid, but I really, really like McCann up there.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He occasionally uses his size and you can't help think "Damn, if he did that 90% of the time instead of 10% he'd be the 3rd line centre every team would be clamouring for"

He's got similar offensive skills to Jordan Staal, maybe even a little better but he's not got anywhere close to Jordan's cycle game.

I remember exactly one game where I thought to myself "Holy f*** this dude is turning a corner and playing like he is 6'6" and that was the first game he had to play 3C last year. He was a f***ing wrecking ball that game and manhandling guys, so we all know he can do it. He is a ton like Staal where he can use his length to his advantage, he's not overtly physical, and he has a maddening offensive game. The big difference is the level of their checking game. Jordan Staal could check the f*** out of absolutely anyone in this league.

Bjugstad also has a f***in bomb for a shot. I honestly have no idea how the guy isn't a 30 goal scorer. He is just a maddening player for me. I'm probably a bit too harsh on him at times, but f*** man...he has the tools.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I remember exactly one game where I thought to myself "Holy **** this dude is turning a corner and playing like he is 6'6" and that was the first game he had to play 3C last year. He was a ****ing wrecking ball that game and manhandling guys, so we all know he can do it. He is a ton like Staal where he can use his length to his advantage, he's not overtly physical, and he has a maddening offensive game. The big difference is the level of their checking game. Jordan Staal could check the **** out of absolutely anyone in this league.

Bjugstad also has a ****in bomb for a shot. I honestly have no idea how the guy isn't a 30 goal scorer. He is just a maddening player for me. I'm probably a bit too harsh on him at times, but **** man...he has the tools.

Yes, defensively he's not close to Staal but offensively he could be if he put his mind to it. His shot is heavy for sure but lacks a little accuracy and doesn't get it off quick enough, if he had either of those then he'd probably pot 20 a season.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Tanev is a Hagelin that is physical.
That is why Hagelin is the wrong comparison. He is more like Hornqvist, willing to go do the dirty work, go to the hard areas, score the garbage goals, and play the body. Aside from speed, what makes him comparable to Hagelin?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Two things that I have always noticed about Tanev, even when I would catch the games he played for Winnipeg - he forces a ton of turnovers and makes defensemen make stupid decisions and he draws a metric f***ton of penalties. If we can have a powerplay that clips at a good rate this year that is huge. Guys who can draw penalties with frequency are unsung contributors to a team.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Tanev is absolutely better than I thought, and its real hard to not be a fan.

I still think the idea of him playing with Geno/top6 is nonsense, but crazy contract or not, if this is who he is for us he will be a great identity player on the bottom 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->