Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Positive Thoughts Lead to Points!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd like to see Tanev - Bjugstad - Galchenyuk as the 3rd line. I think it could do some damage. Still not the biggest Bjugstad fan, but it would help this situation out so much if he could turn into a scoring threat on the 3rd line.

Both he and Galchenyuk are packed with goal scoring potential, and I really think we could squeeze more out of Tanev too.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
With all due respect, this is the crystallization of one of the worst posts or most wrong posts I’ve ever seen :).
Not saying I want to ship geno, but if there was a great return I'd seriously consider it.
Tang on the other hand - I'm done with him.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Even if I believed in caring too much about post-Sid, I think we've missed the window on massive payments for Tanger and Geno; the injuries, the trade restrictions, the age, the contract size - they're all factors against. Tbh, we might have missed the window for fair trade payment - most stars don't get it after all.

That said, I strongly believe we should squeeze every last drop of fun and competition out of the Sid era and see where we are afterwards.

You are probably right about the payoff and having to squeeze them for their late-prime-decline years now.

Geno I don't want out, like I just posted, I think in the same thread... I'd consider if someone over paid great assets, but Tang I would be happy to get rid of. I don't care about all the analytical crap and color pictographs people post how penguins are better with tang.... I'm just done with him personally and outside of his constant injury / freak injury prone arse he makes very dumb and questionable brain maneuvers we could do without.

We have such an opportunity in Marino and Reek that should not be squandered.
Tangs rook year he showed glowing promise and was immediately put in the spot. I feel the same way about reek and marino... these guys should be getting their chance now.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I want to say that keeping Murray in net was a pretty gutsy call from Sully, but him bouncing back mid-game is freaking huge I think. And I have to think the trust to stay in and give the team a chance had to play in to that.

true. but it's not like Jarry inspired confidence from his last outing.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Sid's clearly taking a bit of a step back at the moment. That will change as the season goes on. Sid - Guentz is probably the one thing we can rely on always being good at the important end of the season. JJ is doing his job being the guy that distracts the person shooting the puck in long enough for his partner to do all the hard work. We're starting to get some of those smart turnovers around the bluelines because the young D are being so decisive.

I still think we're probably handing back a goal a game by not attacking the points. That's always been the thing for me that was so different in 2016 as compared to the last couple years. That's why we go through big streaks of getting no odd-man rushes. We can get at least one extra 2 on 1 per game and put the fear of god in opponent D that way, but I think the coaches are still too scared of our guys making the wrong decisions. If Sully ends up unleashing that later in the season though, I will take back every bad thing I've said about him.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Is Sid taking a step back or is he having issues with a head injury?

Over the last 3 or 4 seasons Sid takes a hit to the noggin and has trouble for 5 or so games after. Its like clockwork at this point.

Edit: And just to add I don't have dates and I don't have proof. (It's just me and my feeble mind remembering the last 5 or so years where Crosby seemed like he might have suffered a head injury in a game, and he isn't as good for 4 or 5 games after.)

If someone wants to be a detective, there are definitely references to these occasions on the GDT's of this board.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’m so happy to rub this win in the face of @Soggy Biscuit, @Honour Over Glory and @Bingo71.

Ya’ll need to root for the team and not your silly agendas against trading Kessel, Sullivan and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Also @Riptide and @Peat. Love you guys. Agree with you a ton, but Rust is Zuul. And @KIRK and I’s Malkin and Rust agenda has been perfect since 2016.

How anyone is disappointed in what this team
has done as a “team” is beyond me. Parts and systems need improvement. But, they are buying in which is HUGE.
nZKuzpi.jpg

Shove that up your ass.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Over the last 3 or 4 seasons Sid takes a hit to the noggin and has trouble for 5 or so games after. Its like clockwork at this point.

Edit: And just to add I don't have dates and I don't have proof. (It's just me and my feeble mind remembering the last 5 or so years where Crosby seemed like he might have suffered a head injury in a game, and he isn't as good for 4 or 5 games after.)

If someone wants to be a detective, there are definitely references to these occasions on the GDT's of this board.
He has a soft head.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
lol@ the conflicts on this board. Who said entertainers are dead.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You are probably right about the payoff and having to squeeze them for their late-prime-decline years now.

Geno I don't want out, like I just posted, I think in the same thread... I'd consider if someone over paid great assets, but Tang I would be happy to get rid of. I don't care about all the analytical crap and color pictographs people post how penguins are better with tang.... I'm just done with him personally and outside of his constant injury / freak injury prone arse he makes very dumb and questionable brain maneuvers we could do without.

We have such an opportunity in Marino and Reek that should not be squandered.
Tangs rook year he showed glowing promise and was immediately put in the spot. I feel the same way about reek and marino... these guys should be getting their chance now.

Marino's currently playing only 40 seconds less a night than Letang did in his first pro year; they were both the 5th most used dman. To me, that's the level of opportunity a rookie dman should be getting unless they're a freak, because you don't want to put too much on them too early.

Letang took a big step up after that but even come the 2009/10 season - Tanger's 3rd pro season - he's still only getting the third most time at ES come the playoffs (his ice times are inflated due to huge amounts of PP time). Its not until 10/11 he's the undisputed man. So, imo, if you think Marino deserves more responsibility so he has a chance to keep following that path by the end of the season, you promote Marino to the 2nd pairing - and you don't have to lose Letang to do that.

And man, I just don't want to move Letang. Watching him shut McDavid down was incredibly satisfying.

I don't know about the previous seasons, but the hit to the head was vs Dallas which was now 5 games ago, so he should be shaking it any moment now if this is the reason.

I do think he's taking a step back though independent of the hit to the head, he was playing in playoff mode without Geno there and he can't do that all season, but maybe it being both does explain the abrupt 60 to 0 nature of it better than just a step back.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Marino's currently playing only 40 seconds less a night than Letang did in his first pro year; they were both the 5th most used dman. To me, that's the level of opportunity a rookie dman should be getting unless they're a freak, because you don't want to put too much on them too early.

Letang took a big step up after that but even come the 2009/10 season - Tanger's 3rd pro season - he's still only getting the third most time at ES come the playoffs (his ice times are inflated due to huge amounts of PP time). Its not until 10/11 he's the undisputed man. So, imo, if you think Marino deserves more responsibility so he has a chance to keep following that path by the end of the season, you promote Marino to the 2nd pairing - and you don't have to lose Letang to do that.

And man, I just don't want to move Letang. Watching him shut McDavid down was incredibly satisfying.

I just don't want to see Marino and Reek sit or get sent down for extended sessions. Handled properly is the most important thing, not so much loading them with tough minutes.
And my goodness for the sake of everything holy... KEEP THEM HEALTHY!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I just don't want to see Marino and Reek sit or get sent down for extended sessions. Handled properly is the most important thing, not so much loading them with tough minutes.
And my goodness for the sake of everything holy... KEEP THEM HEALTHY!

Marino's safe already. It'd take something big for him to come out of the line up.

Riikola obviously isn't safe from that but I don't think moving Letang would change that. Riikola's problem is that they prefer JJ's PKing and physicality to his skating and offensive skills largely, I think, because the defence has a lot more of the latter than the former. Move Letang, who brings PKing and physicality as well, and they'd look for another guy who brings that so there's still no opportunity for Riikola. I think that for Riikola to get a prolonged shot then - other than injuries - you'd need to move a guy who basically brings offensive skills to the blueline and no particular physicality or PKing. Schultz in other words.

Also, I don't think its consistent to want them to be active Pens players and healthy - surely one or the other, right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad