Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Positive Thoughts Lead to Points!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
To people who aren't sure if the Penguins have been good defensively or not this year:

They're 1st in xGA/60. This team is just really ****ing good analytically this year, in pretty much all areas of the game. With a strong powerplay, I think this team would be nearly unstoppable if they continue to play this way.

Even by raw stats we are doing a great job. Really impressed and I think this puts to rest the “Sully is in an idiot” mantra.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
In other news McCann is now +12, while Rust is +7 in just 5 games. Fingers crossed they stay fit. Oh, and Geno miraculously has 0 PIM so far. ;)
I might be misremembering, but I think Geno missed out on a penalty because the opposing team scored in the 6-on-5 situation?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Good game by Riikola. Nice to see him get the job done when he gets a chance to get in there. I liked the whole defense, actually, minus one ridiculous "clear" attempt by Johnson.

The D is a little less mobile/puck-moving to when we had Daley and Cole, and also lacking experience. We're asking a lot for Pettersson, Marino, and Riikola (if he plays) to become seasoned by playoff time, but I'm going to be hopeful.

My rant...
Personally I'd sit JJ and help Riikola grow. I see some Letang upside in the guy but we won't know until he plays. With JJ, you know what you get. Worst case we can sit him out and let JJ back in later in the season.

In your face Trotz, you boring ****...

Lol. I saw the post game interview with Trotz. His stance was pretty much "it won't happen again". Honestly we squeaked that one out. I don't know why we look so defensively flat footed against them. They seem to find soft spots in our D zone, and our guys afraid to confront them (aka bad gap control).

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
To people who aren't sure if the Penguins have been good defensively or not this year:

They're 1st in xGA/60. This team is just really ****ing good analytically this year, in pretty much all areas of the game. With a strong powerplay, I think this team would be nearly unstoppable if they continue to play this way.

I think they matched the players with the style they wanted. They're never going to be a Trotz-like team so why try? Get some young, speedy guys and force the play the other way. To quote Kurt Russel "you don't defend them...you ATTACK them". I don't see THAT much of a difference in defensive structure. I do think you have a few more guys who are a little more bought in on the defensive side though. But when you can roll 4 quality lines that can come at you in waves, your GA is going to go down by the shear fact that you're not giving the other team as much time in their offensive zone.

If you can get Murray to get hot at the right time, you could easily get a 2016 slaughter going again.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think they matched the players with the style they wanted. They're never going to be a Trotz-like team so why try? Get some young, speedy guys and force the play the other way. To quote Kurt Russel "you don't defend them...you ATTACK them". I don't see THAT much of a difference in defensive structure. I do think you have a few more guys who are a little more bought in on the defensive side though. But when you can roll 4 quality lines that can come at you in waves, your GA is going to go down by the shear fact that you're not giving the other team as much time in their offensive zone.

If you can get Murray to get hot at the right time, you could easily get a 2016 slaughter going again.

The weird thing is they did this in 2016 and 2017 and suddenly like freaked out because Tom Wilson and decided they needed to turn back the clock ten years and bring in big bodied D and forwards.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
In other words, to give the dog credit, he didn't **** on the table when the boss came over for dinner, but that doesn't mean he's consistently a good boy. :laugh:
But if we're gonna vilify his play when he does let in a soft goal or two, (which I will), I think it's very fair to point out he did come up big both at the end of the 2hd period, as well as that dynamic save that preceded our 2hd goal. I'm taking an even handed approach. That was a tremendous sequence for us. Here's hoping we build upon that come saturday.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

The eye test corroborates the analytics and THAT'S what makes me the most optimistic.

The measurables are good AND the "method" is as well.

The Pens are playing very good hockey. As I said multiple times... as long as they keep working the way they are, they will win more than they will lose. A guy like Marino will gain a TON of experience during the year and it'll pay in April. Same for a guy like Kahun.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Anyone else still pumped from last night's win? :laugh: Am i the only nerd out here? Show your faces.

I was just going to come on here and write the same thing. lol

For them to come back three goals down in the third period on the road against a team that has stifling defense was so damn impressive. Not to mention they were the league's hottest team. They got to feel good about how they never quit. Not that I want them to go down three goals obviously but they have to know that they are never out of it no matter how big the lead is for the other team.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Anyone else still pumped from last night's win? :laugh: Am i the only nerd out here? Show your faces.

Oh yeah. That was kind of the signature win I was looking for. I mentioned it after the B's game and IC did last night as well but all of these moral victories with no results were coming to a head. Frustration starts to take over.

Not gonna lie I was also very happy and relived to see the team's second most important player and oft target for criticism have a big game. Malkin needed that confidence even though he was playing well, generally. He didn't show up in the scoring column for it but that effort to create the game winner last night was crucial and JUST what I want to see.

Sid and Guentzel are a little rough right now but I've learned not to worry about that.

These young defensemen coming into their own in Marino, MP and Riikola is very nice to see, too. That will solve a lot of problems if they continue down their current path. What a steal in Marino... my goodness.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Very.

giphy.gif

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Rutherford’s tenure here when he’s gone is going to be bizarre. Especially if we have as much success as some of us are expecting if we stay healthy and keep playing this way into the playoffs.

Brilliance mixed with pure insanity.

JR as GM is a lot like if after Pavel Bure won his b2b Richard Trophies, he suddenly decided he wanted to be a fighter like Probert...

Finally after getting put into a mayo jar for a couple years after every fight, he realizes being fast and scoring goals worked way better than this whole tough guy act.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
actually feel like this was a must win. "Playing well/the right way" can only go on so long while losing. Eventually the losses will eat at you mentally.

This was a 3 game stint where they played the top teams in the league and they fared pretty well despite the losses in the first two, and they all should have hit OT.

Encouraging. But they still have work to do refining and getting accustom to each other. *lines* Playing well or the right way is only part of it. I would still love to see the team as a whole be on the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad