Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Vegas....what was that?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
With 3 home games in a row post ASG that will say a lot how we springboard into the second half. One of those games is against Tampa but it is sandwiched between games against New Jersey and Ottawa.
That is 1-2 at best.
23 goals against on the 5 game road trip.
4+GAA but now BOTH goalies are doing it.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
It's fun griping about lines and who plays with who and on which side, but when you spend the last couple of years getting "tough" and "gritty" on defense when you're entire philosophy revolves around 5 man offense and quick transition, this is what you get.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
MAF'ed
Out Effort'ed
One Line'ed
JJ'ed
ETA: CDS'ed

This org from the top down has to give it's head a shake and see the bigger picture.
Whats this teams identity?
Is this team good enough to contend this season as is?
I don't care about getting into the PO's in a WC spot.
Ask yourselves, can this team beat the big dogs?

Everyone needs to come back to PPG ready to get to work on the the things i mentioned above.
From JR making changes, to the brass using kids already in the org, to how you're gonna play if you can't out skate fast teams.

I can use the break, too.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I wanted the pens to win alone just to knock that stupid smile off Fleury’s face.

It seems like after 1 good game that Brassard went back to his old self.

I think they still need another forward or two. When you’re rolling out Garret Wilson, Sheahan and a 41 year old Matt Cullen on a 4th line you aren’t going to go far in the playoffs.

Matt Cullen? He's great on line 4. He's been amazing.

Even Sheahan on line 4 is good.

Wilson though...

So I don't get the Cullen complaint. Aside from his age, and just based off his play, he's a very good player.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Given how we do against the Devils I would not be surprised.

Hoping for a better result of course.

So depressing.

It is like the game tonight, okay, they are gonna be bad.

But oh, lets get everyones hope up in the 2nd.

Then haha just kidding f*** off fans, take your massive loss. ugh

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Well, that was agony and then ecstasy, and then god remembered he hates me and it went back to just agony again. And then someone yanked the power cord on the game for the third

I honestly have no idea what is going to happen with this team this year or going forward. But if it turns into a sellers trade market this year I see very little point in pulling in more assets. Not with breakdowns and lapses like we had tonight. It’s hard to believe a week ago they were looking like a juggernaut

+I have a single snackpack pudding left

-that Verne Troyer fanboy lurking around. Go away

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's fun griping about lines and who plays with who and on which side, but when you spend the last couple of years getting "tough" and "gritty" on defense when you're entire philosophy revolves around 5 man offense and quick transition, this is what you get.

To be fair, Schultz being out changes a lot on that front.

Reactions: PensandCaps

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
That was the most predictable result of the year, it was a scheduled loss.

2-3 on a tough 5 game road trip isn't awful, its nice to be done with these long west coast road trips for the year.

Hopefully Schultz and ZAR are close to full health by time the Pens get back, it would be nice to see how the Pens look when they have a fully healthy lineup.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Team identity? Who the f*** knows what it’s supposed to be.

Speed has disappeared. They want guys with grit and toughness but they really don’t have anybody.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
With 3 home games in a row post ASG that will say a lot how we springboard into the second half. One of those games is against Tampa but it is sandwiched between games against New Jersey and Ottawa.

We will probably wind up winning a track meet against TBL and somehow losing to the Sens and the Devils.

Cue devils fans talking about how Shero was the real architect of those two cups

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Half the Pens roster?

tenor.gif

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
After watching this team all season, one safe conclusion I can draw is we're not nearly as fast as quite a few teams in this league. Good positioning and gap can mitigate that some, but we're probably middle of the pack at best.

We're not, for sure. I think our identity is still to be aggressive though and that is as it should be. We're a much worse team when we try to stay back and defend. We can't do it at all. Our best defense (as it always has been in the Sullivan era) has been to attack.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, that was agony and then ecstasy, and then god remembered he hates me and it went back to just agony again.

I honestly have no idea what is going to happen with this team this year or going forward. But if it turns into a sellers trade market this year I see very little point in pulling in more assets. Not with breakdowns and lapses like we had tonight. It’s hard to believe a week ago they were looking like a juggernaut

+I have a single snackpack pudding left

-that Verne Troyer fanboy lurking around. Go away

Gotta push. There's no other option at this point.

I think the Pens should part with a 1st every year for as long as Crosby and Malkin stay 1st line calibre scoring centers, the Pens have at least 1 star calibre winger, Letang is a #1 calibre defenseman, and the goaltending situation is passable. With that core, a 1st could land a piece that could put them over the top any given year.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
CDS should stop leaving the crease like that, that's two times in recent memory it costs us. Stay in the damn net, you're much more useful to us there.

And what the hell was with our defense? Just an awful, pitiful, pathetic performance by most everyone.

Not only that but, despite looking like he was hauling a trailer behind him, Johnson was going to get that puck. Probably banks it back to a trailer or takes it to the board behind the net and sends it far side around the dasher. Instead...

Don’t get me wrong. CDS is fine but that was an awful day at the office for him. And several others.

Jesus, the nuttiness of it all. We lose Geno’s goal, Marchesault scores off that botched play, and then Fleury saves off Kessel down low. A sequence of three bad to awful breaks that just rotated the game 180 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad