Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Vegas....what was that?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Many a coach may have rode Fleury or put Murray back in. Not been able to compensate for Sid missing a game, etc.

Rutherford did some major surgery. But his roster choices have also been determential in three of his five seasons here. Reaves, Ehrhoff, Johnson, Hunwick, etc.

I’m not sure Sullivan got outcoached last year as much as players were injured and killed our chance after 9 consecutive series.

A GM's job is a hell of alot harder than a coach's IMO.

Sullivan's best accomplishment is that 2nd Cup winning back to back without Letang. And I'd say that was just as much of a case of our star players playing out of their minds.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
A GM's job is a hell of alot harder than a coach's IMO.

Sullivan's best accomplishment is that 2nd Cup winning back to back without Letang. And I'd say that was just as much of a case of our star players playing out of their minds.

I guess? When a GM gets a core of Crosby, Malkin, Letang and MAF with Murray and Jake in the wings it makes his job a lot easier. Not to take away from the Hornqvist, Kessel and Schultz trades.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I guess? When a GM gets a core of Crosby, Malkin, Letang and MAF with Murray and Jake in the wings it makes his job a lot easier. Not to take away from the Hornqvist, Kessel and Schultz trades.
The Daley and Hags deals were huge too. And realizing our depth wasn't working and clearing room for Rust, Sheary, and Kuhn. I think JR deserves a ton of credit for that 16 Cup.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Daley and Hags deals were huge too. And realizing our depth wasn't working and clearing room for Rust, Sheary, and Kuhn. I think JR deserves a ton of credit for that 16 Cup.

Like I said JR deserves credit for the two cup wins. He also deserves a lot more shit for how our D is currently composed and the way he’s adjusted the roster in the other three years.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I mean, JR knows what the issues are. He's tried to upgrade the defense as he went after McD at the deadline and Montour before getting Pettersson.

JR inherited a great core but not exactly a ton of assets to play with. He was able to build quite a supporting cast given those constraints. Struggling player swaps. Not overpaying for Kessel. Signing guys to very reasonable deals.

I don't disagree that the JJ contract is horrendous but obviously they see him as valuable to a team trying to win a Cup. I'll give it a playoff run to see what he can do.

If Maatta was a reliable 2nd pairing defender and could help our transition game, JJ and Oleksiak are afterthoughts.

Reactions: ncm7772

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I don't think they cleared room for them more than there was no more options to bring guys in past what they already did. They were the fillers after he set each line up, or 3rd wheels at the time.

James Neal
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2014
Patric Hornqvist
Nick Spaling
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Philip Samuelsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
December 5, 2014
Rob Klinkhammer
2016 conditional 5th round pick (if Samuelsson plays 40 or more games with Coyotes in 2014-15
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
David Perron
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
January 2, 2015
Rob Klinkhammer
2015 1st round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Marcel Goc
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
January 27, 2015
Maxim Lapierre
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Daniel Winnik
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 25, 2015
Zach Sill
2015 4th round pick
2016 2nd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Simon Despres
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
March 2, 2015
Ben Lovejoy
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ian Cole
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
March 2, 2015
Robert Bortuzzo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Phil Kessel
Tim Erixon
Tyler Biggs
2016 conditional 2nd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 1, 2015
Kasperi Kapanen
Scott Harrington
Nick Spaling
2016 conditional 1st round pick
2016 3rd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Nick Bonino
Adam Clendening
2016 2nd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 28, 2015
Brandon Sutter
2016 condtional 3rd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rob Scuderi
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
December 14, 2015
Trevor Daley
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
David Perron
Adam Clendening
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
January 16, 2016
Carl Hagelin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Justin Schultz
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 27, 2016
2016 3rd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

JR, deserves for saving this core from a huge meltdown let alone winning two cups. Same goes for Sully with that fresh take from looking in from the outside. Personally, all they needed was a mirror and a eye full of reality.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think both guys have made mistakes but have done a really good job on the whole, and a lot of the things that have gone wrong can be attributed to shit happens and some of the things that worked out were pretty lucky :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad