Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers - What happened to the Rangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Yes and no.

He just seems a little more pressed, whether he's pressured or not, to act quickly. In those first games, you saw his instinct. Be deliberative with the puck. Make the right play. Join the rush when it's safe and once possession is clearly decided. Seemed like no matter how intense the pressure, he was patient and didn't make mistakes.

Lately, you see in him a lot of the tendencies you see in other Pens defensemen . . . the rush to move the puck no matter what and to bust up ice even if possession isn't decided. It's what the coaches want him doing, because it's the game they teach. And, I think that's where Maatta is struggling to adapt.

Well to be fair, all of our defensemen are being pressured a lot right now. They have one guy on them right away driving them to the boards while a second forechecker is waiting to jump them when there is nowhere else to go.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Yes and no.

He just seems a little more pressed, whether he's pressured or not, to act quickly. In those first games, you saw his instinct. Be deliberative with the puck. Make the right play. Join the rush when it's safe and once possession is clearly decided. Seemed like no matter how intense the pressure, he was patient and didn't make mistakes.

Lately, you see in him a lot of the tendencies you see in other Pens defensemen . . . the rush to move the puck no matter what and to bust up ice even if possession isn't decided. It's what the coaches want him doing, because it's the game they teach. And, I think that's where Maatta is struggling to adapt.

I think he just looks mentally and physically tired. Which you'd expect at this point from a 19 year old. When we get Letang back, he should get frequent rotated games off. Thankfully the staff has another way to get Engo into the lineup when he's not on D. I like how they just can't help themselves and throw him out there for some D shifts just to keep it real.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
To me, it wasn't good or bad as much as he was just kind of there.

I thought that too for the most part, but he did good things too. More good than bad. He looked better than Adams and Glass, which is all I'm expecting from him anyway.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I hate how we protect leads. Luckily Sid decided to skate through a molesting to set up Kuni so it didn't matter, but against a good team (or w/o a 4 goal cushion) that would be a very different game.

Pens are basically winning by throwing out:

Best line in hockey
Decent 3rd line
Mediocre 4th line
Terrible 4th line

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I agree. I had no issues with his game and did some good things.

Both of our fourth lines looked better than our normal fourth line tonight.

Now this is something that needs to be noted. :laugh:

I didn't really have any issues aside from the penalty, there was some good which is more than you can say for the regulars. I want Pyatt to do well, damn it, we need the size. Succeed, you *******!

Gibbons had a great game, though. Size aside, Gibby brought it.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
This. He at least looked hungry whereas Adams and Glass are just "there".

Adams and glass are both ok as PKrs individually... its when the two are together that we have an issue.. you cannot have two black holes on offense playing on a line together and not expect coaching staffs to tell their guys to pinch and take chances when they are on the ice... Adams has zero offensive ability.. im beginning to think if he played with Lemieux he would reflexively deflect the puck Mario would try to bounce off of him wide because his instincts in that zone are really that bad... its like a negative skill

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well to be fair, all of our defensemen are being pressured a lot right now. They have one guy on them right away driving them to the boards while a second forechecker is waiting to jump them when there is nowhere else to go.

Maatta was a better defenseman playing on instinct. He now looks more like a Dan Bylsma coached defenseman. Doesn't mean it's anything more than a bump in the road, but it's a bump, and it's a bump that's lasted a few weeks. Just my two cents.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Just something I found fun:

League Leaders in PPG:

1. Sidney Crosby 1.44
2. Steven Stamkos 1.35
2. James Neal 1.35
4. Evgeni Malkin 1.28
5. Patrick Kane 1.23

We are so lucky.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Maatta was a better defenseman playing on instinct. He now looks more like a Dan Bylsma coached defenseman. Doesn't mean it's anything more than a bump in the road, but it's a bump, and it's a bump that's lasted a few weeks. Just my two cents.

I agree with the last part. He's definitely hit a wall.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I really liked the Jokinen, Sutter and Gibbons line, that could be an ok third line if we can get Beau back and trade for another top 6 winger. Ideally, Dupuis would be the third wheel on that third line, but he is hurt, Gibbons could be a decent option. Megna could be a better one, though.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Just something I found fun:

League Leaders in PPG:

1. Sidney Crosby 1.44
2. Steven Stamkos 1.35
2. James Neal 1.35
4. Evgeni Malkin 1.28
5. Patrick Kane 1.23

We are so lucky.

Man Neal with a higher PPG than Malkin... Thank god we locked him in at $5M.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think he just looks mentally and physically tired. Which you'd expect at this point from a 19 year old. When we get Letang back, he should get frequent rotated games off. Thankfully the staff has another way to get Engo into the lineup when he's not on D. I like how they just can't help themselves and throw him out there for some D shifts just to keep it real.

I remember early in the season suggesting moving Nisky and Engo, keeping Scuds-Letang and Orpik-Martin (because it's not as if they aren't being kept anyway) and running Maatta, Despres, and Bortz in tandems to keep them fresh while giving them invaluable experience. What we're seeing with Maatta looking tired is probably, in hindsight, something a lot of us were worried about.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I really liked the Jokinen, Sutter and Gibbons line, that could be an ok third line if we can get Beau back and trade for another top 6 winger. Ideally, Dupuis would be the third wheel on that third line, but he is hurt, Gibbons could be a decent option. Megna could be a better one, though.

Gibbons has a non-refundable one way ticket to WBS. Gladams gotsa play.

Michael8771*

Orpik was more of a concern that despres on the two goals scored... Despres had two bad plays all game, and recovered nicely on both IMO.
I think that's a very fair statement. Two bad plays he needed to recover from and did.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

That line would be ok for softer less tougher team and then could be switched out for someone else for Gibbons with a little more size.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Gibbons.. Scrabbles... what we need on that third line is speed to open things up for the other guys... That's why I wanted duper down there. I will love Menga in that spot... Gibbons is tiny, but effective, and Harry Z is a bit of a wild card, but any of those guys fit the mold of what we need there

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Now this is something that needs to be noted. :laugh:

I didn't really have any issues aside from the penalty, there was some good which is more than you can say for the regulars. I want Pyatt to do well, damn it, we need the size. Succeed, you *******!

Gibbons had a great game, though. Size aside, Gibby brought it.

If our fourth line consisted of Vitale and two of Sill/Pyatt/Engelland, I would be pleased.

And Gibby was fantastic today.

Man Neal with a higher PPG than Malkin... Thank god we locked him in at $5M.

He's having quite the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad