Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers - What happened to the Rangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Where are they gonna be?

Gladams will be starting.

Guys like Sill and Gibbons will be elsewhere.

And, I'd be stunned if we see more than one of Maatta, Despres, and Bortz starting in the playoffs.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Save those first what, 2, 3, maybe 4 games with Niskanen, he just has not looked good paired with Nisky. Not blaming Nisky actually, and maybe that's a coincidence. BUT, two things I'm noticing . . . he's looking to jump into the rush a lot more than he did, and he's showing zero patience a lot of the time with outlet passes. I'm sure it's a bump in the road, but it's not like this 'regression' has been only one or two games. He needs to keep it simple and smart.

I'm wondering if the young D aren't feeling the need to chip in more offensively with all of these damn injuries, and it's messing them up.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Save those first what, 2, 3, maybe 4 games with Niskanen, he just has not looked good paired with Nisky. Not blaming Nisky actually, and maybe that's a coincidence. BUT, two things I'm noticing . . . he's looking to jump into the rush a lot more than he did, and he's showing zero patience a lot of the time with outlet passes. I'm sure it's a bump in the road, but it's not like this 'regression' has been only one or two games. He needs to keep it simple and smart.

He's getting pressured a lot harder than he was earlier in the season. It seems like the book is out on him now and its up to him to adjust.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
+ Juicy getting all good and stuff
+ Kunitz making an Olympic push
+ Sid being sid
+ Engellend, a minus 2 in garbage time, but still more effective at wing than you would think
+ Despres increasing trade value
+ Linematching... I mean line...matching... REALLY? Dan bylsma... gets a plus

- Maatta looks a lttle flustered... not worried, in fact if they cycle him out with a guy like Bort Id be happy... got to keep em fresh

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It was Pyatt's first game. I will give him some games to adjust, before I put him in the same category as Gladams.

I don't know. There was zero spark there. From a guy who 72 hours ago was convinced he had a one way ticket to Binghamton, I don't think it's unreasonable to have expected something, anything to suggest even a modicum of appreciation that he's still in the NHL.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
+ Sidney Crosby. That goal was just insane.
+ Simon Despres
+ Jussi J./Gibbons
+ Kunitz/Neal
+ Vitale/Sill/Engelland
+ Defense and Fleury overall

I didn't think Pyatt was too bad. He didn't make any noticeable errors and he used his size to protect the puck.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
- Beating the Rangers but not getting to see Torts steam during and after the game.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
+ Sidney Crosby. That goal was just insane.
+ Simon Despres
+ Jussi J./Gibbons
+ Kunitz/Neal
+ Vitale/Sill/Engelland
+ Defense and Fleury overall

I didn't think Pyatt was too bad. He didn't make any noticeable errors and he used his size to protect the puck.

This. He at least looked hungry whereas Adams and Glass are just "there".

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The only real problem i had with tonights game was starting Engelland on D for every PK.

Ok, let's say you do it once cuz he was PK'ing well in the games before but on the first PK, he failed to clear the puck once and got burned twice. Probably not a good idea to keep starting him on PK's after that.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I don't know. There was zero spark there. From a guy who 72 hours ago was convinced he had a one way ticket to Binghamton, I don't think it's unreasonable to have expected something, anything to suggest even a modicum of appreciation that he's still in the NHL.

I thought he played pretty good all things considered. Created some good chances at the net, worked well along the boards in the offensive zone and helped sustain some zone time. I'm not seeing people saying he had a bad game.

Wasn't great in his own zone, but I'll blame Bylsma's supposedly complicated system more for that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's getting pressured a lot harder than he was earlier in the season. It seems like the book is out on him now and its up to him to adjust.

Yes and no.

He just seems a little more pressed, whether he's pressured or not, to act quickly. In those first games, you saw his instinct. Be deliberative with the puck. Make the right play. Join the rush when it's safe and once possession is clearly decided. Seemed like no matter how intense the pressure, he was patient and didn't make mistakes.

Lately, you see in him a lot of the tendencies you see in other Pens defensemen . . . the rush to move the puck no matter what and to bust up ice even if possession isn't decided. It's what the coaches want him doing, because it's the game they teach. And, I think that's where Maatta is struggling to adapt.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I thought he played pretty good all things considered. Created some good chances at the net, worked well along the boards in the offensive zone and helped sustain some zone time. I'm not seeing people saying he had a bad game.

Wasn't great in his own zone, but I'll blame Bylsma's supposedly complicated system more for that.

I agree. I had no issues with his game and did some good things.

Both of our fourth lines looked better than our normal fourth line tonight.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

To me, it wasn't good or bad as much as he was just kind of there.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
+ Crosby; an absolute beast!
+ Kunitz; finishing in front of the net exactly how expected.
+ Vitale; 10-1 in the circle and flying everywhere on the ice. I really love this dude.
+ Gibbons; slick game and good chemistry with Jokinen.
+ Sill; no-nonsense guy did a lot of good work today.
+ Despres; could have been possibly his best game yet...

- Määttä; ...on obviously stolen confidence from #3, bad turnovers and shaky playing. He'll be back.
- AV letting King Henrik suffer extensively. I feel really bad for him.

Tasty win, Sid extending his points lead by a bunch and +1 for hitting the predict.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
gotta give credit to Kuni, by far his best playing ever, hope he can carry on this into the POs. Never been a big fan of his, but he's been so solid in all the facets of the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad