Votes: 2 1.8%
  • $10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
8x8.25.....$66m

The real work is less the total amount and how it is distributed; front end and annual signing bonuses, lock out protection, final year salary etc.

Not to mention hammering no move specifics- something like a full No Move for the first 5-6 years followed by a partial list in the remaining years

Reactions: Gordoff

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
While considering contracts this summer and discussing it here ask yourself this:

Could another Bruins goaltender prospected do more to warrant a top lier contract more than what Jeremy Swayman has done in his tenure in Boston so far?

I don't think we see the like again in our lifetimes. But I also thought that after Tuukka so....

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Hey I will disagree with no one on locking swayman up. I’ve been a big swayman train guy and have been vocal for a few years that I would like to see him be the number one goalie.

If he gets overpaid then you won’t hear a peep from me, I’ll chuckle in the back ground that he did get overpaid but also be happy he’s back. He’s that good in my mind. Hes the guy I’d be willing to die on a hill for so to speak. I think swayman has it in every sense. I want him here into his 30s.
I was not saying that I would pay him 9-- 10 mil, just pointing out that he might be justified in asking for it.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Goalies don't make as much as people think they do compared to other star players.

A good team friendly number for Boston would start with a 6. An acceptable number with term would start with a 7. You give him 8+ and you better be right and he better be good.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
What you pay him, all depends on your philosophy around how you want to build your roster moving forward. We are thin as hell at forward and Ullmark isn't gonna bring near the return in trade value that Swayman will.

I like the kid alot, and I hope they keep him, but I have a problem locking up a goaltender up for 8/$64mil who'll play 50-65 games per season, max. If I'm Sweeney, I'm at least listening to offers.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I was not saying that I would pay him 9-- 10 mil, just pointing out that he might be justified in asking for it.

I think we’ve only had a little nibble of Jeremy swayman so I’ll be happy no matter what when that long term deal comes in. But hey he has to keep doing it.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What you pay him, all depends on your philosophy around how you want to build your roster moving forward. We are thin as hell at forward and Ullmark isn't gonna bring near the return in trade value that Swayman will.

I like the kid alot, and I hope they keep him, but I have a problem locking up a goaltender up for 8/$64mil who'll play 50-65 games per season, max. If I'm Sweeney, I'm at least listening to offers.
Well, the leader in starts was 64 (Saros). Only 20 goalies started 50 games this year. Sorokin was 56. Oettinger 54. That’s how it is now.

If you just are against investing that in any goalie I get it, but look at all the teams who have problems there. Your other option would be to resign Ullmark and he’s not going to get less than $6.5.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Anywhere close to that? I’ll bet he doesn’t get less than $8M per year.
Big difference between around 8, and 9 mil plus, which is what I was responding to.

I think 7.5 is the sweet spot for team and player. At the end of the day, he's still an RFA, so doesn't have as much leverage. Give him a NMC and have him take a bit less. Win win.

Reactions: bme44

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Big difference between around 8, and 9 mil plus, which is what I was responding to.

I think 7.5 is the sweet spot for team and player. At the end of the day, he's still an RFA, so doesn't have as much leverage. Give him a NMC and have him take a bit less. Win win.
His leverage is he doesn't sign it. Way more leverage on his side.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My guess is the Bruins make the qualifying offer to protect their rights to him.

Then either side perhaps files for arbitration like last year.

In mean time try to hammer something long term out before arbitration date.

Just spitballing.

Reactions: RoccoF14

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
With the cap taking it's first substantial step up in half a decade, player values will go up as well. He'll get $8 which will put him on the higher end of the goalie contracts but set the new normal for a quality starter.

Anything under $8 would be a huge win in my eyes.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
My guess is the Bruins make the qualifying offer to protect their rights to him.

Then either side perhaps files for arbitration like last year.

In mean time try to hammer something long term out before arbitration date.

Just spitballing.
Yeah I mean the Bruins aren't going to let him go unprotected. But hopefully that's all just admin stuff and they get a deal done well before that.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
His leverage is he doesn't sign it. Way more leverage on his side.
Literally no player has actually done this.

They have until 12/1 to sign. If he doesn't sign, he doesn't play that year at all.

I think you're vastly over estimating the power an RFA actually has, especially if they are offer sheeted.

It's not going to come to that, clearly wants to be here, and a fair deal will get it done.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Literally no player has actually done this.

They have until 12/1 to sign. If he doesn't sign, he doesn't play that year at all.

I think you're vastly over estimating the power an RFA actually has, especially if they are offer sheeted.

It's not going to come to that, clearly wants to be here, and a fair deal will get it done.
No, I mean they don't sign the $7.5M and then become UFA at seasons end. I'm not saying they don't play. But they say - ok, if you're not offering me $8M+ or whatever, we'll play out this year and go to market. That's the leverage RFAs have been using more and more (like Tkachuk), and in that case you really would need to trade him. They can really hold a team over a barrel to get what they want or force you to trade them.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
No, I mean they don't sign the $7.5M and then become UFA at seasons end. I'm not saying they don't play. But they say - ok, if you're not offering me $8M+ or whatever, we'll play out this year and go to market. That's the leverage RFAs have been using more and more (like Tkachuk), and in that case you really would need to trade him. They can really hold a team over a barrel to get what they want or force you to trade them.

That's not how it works. He's not under contract right now. If he doesn't sign his RFA he sits at home all season (or until he does sign)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad