Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers - The M&M Show

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
It's the worst officiated sport by far. They literally make **** up as they go along, and the only League that manages calls during games depending on the score, time left in the game, etc., etc,.

However, it's been that way forever. The players know it, management knows it, everyone knows it, so I don't understand the notion behind complaining about it publicly as an organization.

I was honestly disappointed to hear that they've been griping about calls all week, legit as those gripes may be. For once, I want this ****ing team to just learn to fight through the frustration that comes with the slack the refs give as the season goes along into spring.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's the worst officiated sport by far. They literally make **** up as they go along, and the only League that manages calls during games depending on the score, time left in the game, etc., etc,.

However, it's been that way forever. The players know it, management knows it, everyone knows it, so I don't understand the notion behind complaining about it publicly as an organization.

I was honestly disappointed to hear that they've been griping about calls all week, legit as those gripes may be. For once, I want this ****ing team to just learn to fight through the frustration that comes with the slack the refs give as the season goes along into spring.

I did not see them griping. Did I miss it?

"They were the better team for probably 58 minutes of the night," Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "We were probably fortunate to get one point."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...to-Rangers-in-shootout-1/stories/201402070161

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Crosby has been working the refs the last few games because he's been obstructed and hooked a lot and they've gone uncalled.

Oh, on the ice.

Yeah, I noticed and he was not out of line. He literally was being hooked, tripped, tackled, punched, spit on and farted on the entire game for the last couple of weeks. Way above and beyond the usual every player needs to fight through in this new crappy NHL. Even beyond the norm Crosby gets.

Enough is enough.

If the refs are going to be dicks, call them on it.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Oh, on the ice.

Yeah, I noticed and he was not out of line. He literally was being hooked, tripped, tackled, punched, spit on and farted on the entire game for the last couple of weeks. Way above and beyond the usual every player needs to fight through in this new crappy NHL. Even beyond the norm Crosby gets.

Enough is enough.

If the refs are going to be dicks, call them on it.

I mentioned this before, part of me would love to see the Penguins do some of their own clutching and grabbing. I bet all the people that think early 2000's hockey is "tough hockey" or "good defensive hockey" would suddenly be calling for zero-tolerance on obstruction. :sarcasm:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I mentioned this before, part of me would love to see the Penguins do some of their own clutching and grabbing. I bet all the people that think early 2000's hockey is "tough hockey" or "good defensive hockey" would suddenly be calling for zero-tolerance on obstruction. :sarcasm:

Yeah I wish as well.

But this is Gentleman Mario's team now. The guy who found God after the Islander game. No being meanies, and no clutching and grabbing. If the guy kicks you in the balls, bend over and say please Sir, I would like another.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah I wish as well.

But this is Gentleman Mario's team now. The guy who found God after the Islander game. No being meanies, and no clutching and grabbing. If the guy kicks you in the balls, bend over and say please Sir, I would like another.

Yeah, the Penguins tried to make a righteous crusade to change the NHL. It failed. They just need to worry about themselves now.

That said, the NHL needs to realize that attracting casual fans is very important to growing a game. Casual fans don't give a damn about coaching or systems, nor do they want to see star players get hooked, held, or hauled down by talentless, no-name scrubs. They want to see the stars shine and the puck go in the net as many times as possible.

Professional sports isn't a religion, it's a business and it's meant to entertain. The NFL and NBA realized this a while back, time for the NHL to catch up.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Neal isn't going to be suspended.

I was wondering where you guys got that from, and the only thing I could find was a tweet from Yohe saying he was eligible for a suspension. So, I guess it's only right that he would follow up on it ...

Is it just me, or does Yohe sound disappoint?

Either Bourque or Lange said something along the lines of "we've learned that James Neal will have a phone hearing with the director of hockey ops" on the post-game show.

Being that hockey ops is Colin Campbell, I could see him changing his mind for the purposes of not working during his vacation.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Either Bourque or Lange said something along the lines of "we've learned that James Neal will have a phone hearing with the director of hockey ops" on the post-game show.

Being that hockey ops is Colin Campbell, I could see him changing his mind for the purposes of not working during his vacation.

Or possibly some of the diving penalties he's been called for weren't really diving penalties once Hockey Ops looked at the video? :dunno:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
There should be plenty of money for all the team owners with that new TV deal, which is really massive.

But regardless of what happens in a few years, we signed our big stars to long term deals right before the cap went up quite a bit. You couldn't have timed it better, and we'll have about 20 mil in space in 2015-2016, with only a few key spots to fill:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
/ Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.200m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Simon Despres ($2.000m) / Paul Martin ($5.500m)
Scott Harrington ($0.589m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Eric Hartzell ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $80,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,658,333; BONUSES: $307,500
CAP SPACE (16-man roster): $19,441,667

I'm not sure, but I think your years are off.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

They already have a guy who does that.

His name is Brooks Orpik

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The clutching and grabbing has returned to the league, I think, and I think Sid does have legitimate gripes most of the time. And we do our fair share too.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'd rather them do away with all the punching (Seriously... it's getting ridiculous) and then focus on the clutching and grabbing. I am amazed how bad they let it go. They used to let little scrums go w/ pushing/shoving. I get that. NOW.. they let jabs to the face go. How many times do we have to see someone knocked out because they aren't ready for it?

It's ****ing ridiculous.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
what other pro sport allows any amount of punching like that? If an NFL player even attempts a punch, he's getting suspended.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I have no problem with face jabs because most of them are in the what I would call harmless/face wash variety, and that stuff can be curbed right from the get go. It doesn't have to see a complete crack down like clutching and grabbing is turning into. You call one jab at the beginning of the game, that's over. The boys get the message. I have a feeling teams right now are back to putting clutching and grabbing in their gameplans, which is when it becomes a problem, and you get on a slippery slope. First you let go obstruction in the neutral zone. Then you just let guys grab a bit in front of the net. Then you let hooks and tugs go as guys are getting beat defensively. The NHL needs to nip it in the bud.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have no problem with face jabs because most of them are in the what I would call harmless/face wash variety, and that stuff can be curbed right from the get go. It doesn't have to see a complete crack down like clutching and grabbing is turning into. You call one jab at the beginning of the game, that's over. The boys get the message. I have a feeling teams right now are back to putting clutching and grabbing in their gameplans, which is when it becomes a problem, and you get on a slippery slope. First you let go obstruction in the neutral zone. Then you just let guys grab a bit in front of the net. Then you let hooks and tugs go as guys are getting beat defensively. The NHL needs to nip it in the bud.

absolutely. Its getting worse and worse.

imouttahereEdWinger

Jan 22, 2014
Guy hooked him, he just went down too easy. Wasn't that bad, but it was embellishment.

They wouldn't have to embellish if referees would reliably call the obvious and various obstructions.

I wish players from all teams would start flopping all over the damn place to highlight the farce and get the fans up in arms to force the NHL to enforce its own rules it went out of its own damn way to emphasize just 7, 8, 9 years ago.

I wonder if the league is fine with the obstruction on account of forcing parity. Isn't that why we have the dumb points system that we do: To let crappy teams hang around in the standings through artificial means?

Crappy teams can compete with skilled teams because nullifying the skill through officially illegal activity is disallowed through dishonest enforcement. Then we throw a party about parity and a job well done.

Sure, the Penguins should be committing all kinds of obstruction.

Referees in their infinite uselessness like to keep power plays relatively even so they either will start calling it both ways or not calling our obstruction. If it's 6 PPs for each team instead of 2 for each team, it's better for us because our special teams are superior to every team. Even if the refs decide to call nothing both ways, we gain advantage based on them allowing us to interfere like crazy. Little would be lost because our stars are held up anyway already.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
They already have a guy who does that.

His name is Brooks Orpik

They do. Its just the other teams are puck heavy and can fight through it. The Pens aren't... at least not through out their line up.

Its as clear as day that this isn't a playoff line up. They still have trouble when they can't break out up the wall, aren't puck heavy enough to cycle and the system never takes over for goals when the stars aren't doing things.

Those bottom 6 really need to be more well rounded. Sure getting to pucks first is great but then when garbage puck management happens it defeats the purpose.

Also thank the good lord for Tanner Glass. The only Penguin willing to still hit along the end boards. It used to be a staple of those two finals teams. I swear this team had their collective nuts clipped after that Isles game.

How many times do we have to watch Crosby take garbage?

How many times do we have to see Letang beat up?

You look back at the Pens 3 cup winning teams and they're pretty nasty with a huge chip on their shoulder. Sure the skill is elite but its rounded out with tons of grit and grind. Is there any surprise as to why most of us are so down on this team even though they have 40 wins already? Whats the last "nice", freelance team to win the cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad