Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers - The M&M Show

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Quick one tonight... thank God it's break time. I need a refreshing couple of weeks w/o Penguin hockey stress.

Plus

+ Maatta: I cannot believe how good he played. He pinches at the right times. He takes calculated risks at the right time. He is just tremendous. On the overhead of his first goal you watch how he's always in a ready position and ready for the play. That is poise, my friends. He's not waiting for the puck to come to him, he's getting in position to make the play when it's all the way across the ice.

+ Malkin: Any time he is on the ice I have trouble taking notes because I'm just expecting some amazing play. He's at a different level than every single player out there. He's strong on his skates and extremely hungry. I cannot believe how great #71 is playing. Watch out every other country because he will dominate the Olympics. Also 53% on faceoffs.

+ Sid: Not his best game but his speed is back. Also 60% on faceoffs. He's showing he's back and ready for the Olympics. You can tell he was coasting for awhile because he showed his speed and tenacity in the last 2 games.

Minus

- Sutter: I'm sold... if his last name was Letestu, he'd be traded. His good games show you what you dream of in a young 3rd line center... but he only gives you that game once in a while. He cannot do it on a consistent basis and his good does not outweigh all the games where he is a lost puppy out there. He has no strength and at the end of the 2nd period he was 1 for 9 on faceoffs. He ended the game 3 for 13.

- Orpik: I don't even want to talk about it anymore. Just pathetic.

- Bylsma: At one point in the game we had a defensive zone faceoff and we went with Adams, Engo, and Z against Cally and the Rangers top players. We have last change. That's ****ing embarrassing. Those are the decisions that will haunt us down the road.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Maatta played one of his best games of the season, and Niskanen one of his worst.

Jokinen should be replaced in the SO.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wait so...I don't get it. Penguins win right? It was a shootout...Penguins in shootouts. Pens win?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
For as much **** as Letang gets, this would have been a game where his ability to move the puck would've greatly helped the Penguins get out of their own end.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
- Just about everyone, save from Malkin, Maatta, etc. were in coast mode all game long, eager for their vacation.

+Got 1 point.

-Didn't get 2.

Michael8771*

We never had the momentum to vault in front, not once tonight.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Suppose it had to end after 12 in a row (unlucky 13th) and Steigy's unholy ability to jinx.
Don't understand why with Neal being the hot hand we still use Jokinen who hasn't been effective at all in the SO.

Either way, Rangers deserve this win. They played us right and if one were a believer in learning from mistakes and making adjustments based on what happens on the ice, we should end up thanking them for showing us what to work on. Of course that is unlikely to be the case.

Meh.

Maatta, Malkin, Neal made this game for me in any case. Adios.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
It just doesn't make sense. Someone has to have already said to Sid, you realize you do the exact same thing nearly every shootout and breakaway now, and it NEVER works.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Anyways:

- Kunitz
- Orpik
- Gladams out in the last minute of a tied game

+ Olliiii Maatttaaa
+ Malkin, Neal, Crosby

++ Olympic hockey's about to begin
+++ When we come back from the break, Bennett and Vitale will be back.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
+ no injuries

+ pens got 1 point, that's one more then they deserved, thought they were outplayed most of the game, Shero needs to improve that bottom 6.

I'l be pissed if Sid has some moves on breakaway's that hes been saving for the Olympics.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah - Nisky had a bad one. I give passes in these situations because he's played great hockey as of late. He just had a terrible off game.

Michael8771*

The Rags came to play tonight and really cycled and forechecked effectively, they deserved to win.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
+ no injuries

+ pens got 1 point, that's one more then they deserved, thought they were outplayed most of the game, Shero needs to improve that bottom 6.

I'l be pissed if Sid has some moves on breakaway's that hes been saving for the Olympics.

He'll do them right after he blows past Orpik. It will be awesome.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
++ Maatta
+ Malkin
+ Sid
- Breakouts
-- Orpik the D-zone giveaway machine.
--- Sid forgetting how to deke

I think tonight was more the Rangers playing really well and the Pens not wanting it as bad.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
+ No one got hurt.

I don't even care about the loss. They actually played better than expected given that it's the last game before the break and they got the news about Letang this morning.

- I realized that this board will be pretty inactive for the next 3 weeks and pretty much went into withdrawal.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Anyways:

- Kunitz
- Orpik
- Gladams out in the last minute of a tied game

+ Olliiii Maatttaaa
+ Malkin, Neal, Crosby

++ Olympic hockey's about to begin
+++ When we come back from the break, Bennett and Vitale will be back.

That IS a huge plus.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Sid and Kunitz seemed to have checked out a few games ago. I don't really blame them though.

Malkin seemed hungry again.

Maatta was way good again. Easily the best defenceman on the ice.

I though Fleury played well. Probably one or two he'd like to have back, but the Rangers were on the attack all game.

Another awful game for 44. I actually watched him grab onto the net with one hand and just stab at the puck with his stick when a Ranger had it behind the net. :laugh::laugh:
And the unforced giveaways...again. How does DB not see this ****?

Meh..at least we got a point, which we probably didn't deserve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad