Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers - The M&M Show

Michael8771*

Well, the Olympics are upon us. I love most of the events, Hockey, the downhill and bobsled in particular. Wall to wall olympics for me! We'll pick up the pens talk in a couple weeks I guess. Goodnight, and good luck.:)

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
+ No one got hurt.

I don't even care about the loss. They actually played better than expected given that it's the last game before the break and they got the news about Letang this morning.

- I realized that this board will be pretty inactive for the next 3 weeks and pretty much went into withdrawal.

Agree with both of these. Also, since I didn't really care much about this particular game...

- to the little kid behind me who kicked the **** out of the back of my seat the whole game
- to the weird middle aged couple in front of me who got drunk and then made out in between the end of the 3rd and the start of intermission
- to Consol Energy Center for replacing the Tim Horton's with Dunkin Donuts and their vastly inferior hot chocolate
- to a fan base for whining incessantly about reffing. And I don't mean Pens fans.
+ to me for not reading the majority of this thread and bailing out before the complaints really start rolling
+ Maatta is pretty good
+ Olympics

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Gotta say fellas...That was one of the most horrid officiating jobs I have seen in awhile. In fact, this week we have seen some terrible officiating. It is getting really bad again. Seems like the only way to stop the top two lines is to...well, cheat. And the refs are playing right into other teams game plans. Not one to b**ch about officiating much but it has been noticeable and frustrating.

One of my all time favorite Penguins...Orpik. Sad to see how much he has declined. Almost as sad to see that the men leading this organization fail to see or acknowledge it. He was BAD BAD again.

Niskanen has been back to his underwhelming ways again.

Sucks to see us lose and it sucks that it could easily have been prevented, but here is to the break, getting healthy and to Letang's recovery.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Rangers played really well and deserved this win. We weren´t awful, 1 point reflects that. Good hockey game overall, fun to watch.

Kunitz was a nonfactor once again.. Bad 2 weeks for him. I won´t even comment on Orpik, it´s a disgrace.

Maatta was phenomenal, Malkin & Neal really good, Sid was OK but just needs to score one in a game like this. He had the lots of chances.

Why is Neal not on a SO is beyond me.. His chances of scoring a SO goal are waaays better than Jokinen´s but Bylsma keeps putting Jokinen there with the hope of him scoring a goal one time. Yeah, if he puts him there a million times, there´s a chance that his nonscoring SO-streak will end someday. Just admit your mistake, Danny, and put Neal there next time, OK? Enough is enough.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Anyone have any idea on what the points leads in the past have been for the All-Star and Olympic Break?

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
Well for one, Kane and Toews have not hit their big payday yet. Which comes in about 16 months or so. Bob McKenzie a couple of months ago said that the expectation of each player is a contract around $12 million per year for each of them.

Crosby + Malkin = $18.2 million.

Toews + Kane = $24 million.

Let's see the bottom six then.

I don't think there's any way Toews or Kane make a $12 mil cap hit

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
Seriously, Sid with a +?? You guys need to watch some footage of the 2010 and 2013 season. Sid is the greatest player in the game since Lemieux, but let's not kid ourselves, his play and effort has been pretty pathetic as of late. He is playing in olympic mode since the start of the season and has maybe 10-15 great games this year. He is rarely battling in the corners anymore, lost some speed, seem uninterested most of the time, that's what i witnessed again last night. These olympics will be a very important one for Crosby, it will show us if he's been cruising all year long for the Olympics or that sadly his greatest years are behind him.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Nobody knew what to expect last night, not our best performance but it was probably to be expected.

I loved seeing Malkin tripping the Rags player at the end of OT :laugh:

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I'm sorry but I just don't understand how some posters still think Gibbons is acceptable on the first line. He's just way too weak on the puck to be playing with two guys who generally speaking generate a fair amount off the cycle.

Who else is better? At least Bylsma is currently playing his best option there. I don't get the *****ing about him. He has played WELL above expectations.....he even needs to get more ice time IMO.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Gotta say fellas...That was one of the most horrid officiating jobs I have seen in awhile. In fact, this week we have seen some terrible officiating. It is getting really bad again. Seems like the only way to stop the top two lines is to...well, cheat. And the refs are playing right into other teams game plans. Not one to b**ch about officiating much but it has been noticeable and frustrating.

And it will carryover into the playoffs like it has the last two seasons and totally change the dynamics of the game. Then, predictably, people will say "you can't blame the refs", "let the players play decide the game", and every other cliche that favors the 1995 New Jersey Devils. How the games are reffed will have more of a factor on the playoff games than any trade we could make at the deadline and I have no qualms about pointing out how horrible that is for the game.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Seriously, Sid with a +?? You guys need to watch some footage of the 2010 and 2013 season. Sid is the greatest player in the game since Lemieux, but let's not kid ourselves, his play and effort has been pretty pathetic as of late. He is playing in olympic mode since the start of the season and has maybe 10-15 great games this year. He is rarely battling in the corners anymore, lost some speed, seem uninterested most of the time, that's what i witnessed again last night. These olympics will be a very important one for Crosby, it will show us if he's been cruising all year long for the Olympics or that sadly his greatest years are behind him.

Okay dude. We need to watch hockey, we get it. Only your are smart enough to properly adjudicate Crosby's play.

Thanks.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Well, the Olympics are upon us. I love most of the events, Hockey, the downhill and bobsled in particular. Wall to wall olympics for me! We'll pick up the pens talk in a couple weeks I guess. Goodnight, and good luck.:)

When does the Bobsled start?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Hoe does Jack Adams not see that having 1 pair with both puck movers and 1 pair with two guys who can't make a cross-ice pass is a terrible idea?

Scuds - Nisky
Olli - Bort

It's not that hard.

Oh and:
Des - Martin

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
There has to be something missing in the salary cap era. None of those teams have 4 top 6 as good as Sid - Kuni + Geno - Neal. Its impossible to afford a complete lineup without like...4-5 rookie contracts overperforming. We have a great top 6, an above average 3rd line (when healthy) and a below average 4th line. It's just the way it is, especially with Dupuis injured.

This is a myth and has been debunked many times.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't think there's any way Toews or Kane make a $12 mil cap hit

Several in the media have speculated $11 to $12 million for each and reported that they are expecting big deals in that range.

Subban likely going to get $10 million this offseason.

Remember that the cap is going up over 9 percent next year and likely again the year after.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
+ now little break for some guys.
+Sid/Geno/Maaaatttaaa,loving this kid.

Someone can go tell sid that you are allowed to try something else in shootouts/breakaways.

He did try something different. He usually comes straight away and get goalies to open the 5-hole. Last night he came right to left a bit and tried to go high glove.

I say stick to what works for any given player because the rate of success is higher compared to going rouge. Letang use to do his forearm to back hand and he was pretty much automatic.

This doesn't however mean they'll work every single time.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Several in the media have speculated $11 to $12 million for each and reported that they are expecting big deals in that range.

Remember that the cap is going up over 9 percent next year and likely again the year after.

Sadly, I think this is going to bring about serious overpayments of some really average talent. More than in the past.

The Big Dawg*

Hoe does Jack Adams not see that having 1 pair with both puck movers and 1 pair with two guys who can't make a cross-ice pass is a terrible idea?

Scuds - Nisky
Olli - Bort

It's not that hard.

Oh and:
Des - Martin

Because Bylsma is a ****ing tool and needs to be shot out of a cannon into the stratosphere.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Sadly, I think this is going to bring about serious overpayments of some really average talent. More than in the past.

Well think of it this way. Malkin signed a $9.5 million per year contract. Next year that contract would have to be about $10.4 million to be a cap equivalent if the cap goes up over 9 percent. Kane and Toews are the year after. Is $12 million per that big a stretch?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I think the Hawks/Toews/Kane have floated the idea of $12M/year out there, so that when they sign for $9-10M or so, everyone involved will look good. And then they can try to get Saad, Shaw, etc. to follow in their footsteps and take less.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think the Hawks/Toews/Kane have floated the idea of $12M/year out there, so that when they sign for $9-10M or so, everyone involved will look good. And then they can try to get Saad, Shaw, etc. to follow in their footsteps and take less.

$9 million would be the equivalent cap hit of about $7.5 million today. Do you really believe that they sign for 8 years basically for $7.5 million per for their entire contracts? By the end of those deals they will be lucky if it is equivalent to $4 million per today.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
$9 million would be the equivalent cap hit of about $7.5 million today. Do you really believe that they sign for 8 years basically for $7.5 million per for their entire contracts? By the end of those deals they will be lucky if it is equivalent to $4 million per today.

Malkin did it. And as good as Toews and Kane are, they aren't Malkin.

It's also not guaranteed that the cap will rise every year let alone significantly.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think that Toews and Kane sort of have a similar half-agreement between them akin to Crosby and Malkin. I doubt either one will try to cash in for around the max... even if they likely could. Malkin will probably also help keep their salaries down a little bit. As other recently signed superstar contracts league-wide are often used as a measuring stick for agents and GMs when signing similar tier players.

If I had to guess, both will sign 10 million dollar contracts. 12 seems a little too rich.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Part of me would like to see the Penguins clutch and grab their way to the Stanley Cup just to see all the hypocrisy that would arise on the main boards. Right now that kind of hockey is seen as "tough hockey" or "good defensive hockey." If the Penguins won playing that kind of style, you'd probably hear about how "cheap and dirty" that style of hockey is with demands the NHL puts a zero-tolerance policy on obstruction penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad