Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus Minus: Pens vs. Preds - Face to face with the demons and the demons win again

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I mean ok, but the last second goal tonight is 100% on Murray. Make the damned save Matt. That's a bad angle shot that should never go in. In my opinion two out of the past three blown leads are on Murray. The goal against Carolina was one where he gave up a real crappy rebound because he couldn't glove it clean. The goal tonight was a bad angle goal.

The blown lead vs Philly was on Sid. That wasn't Murray's fault. But the last two IMO were.

Now keep in mind I am NOT saying Murray is playing badly. He isn't. He's actually been pretty damned good. But he is letting in bad goals late in games right now and it's unfortunate and hopefully he can clamp down on that.

Yes. He's been absolute stud consistently for the first 56:59. Then something happens.

Its inexcusable.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The whole thing is weird, because it's a very very recent thing. Murray and the whole team have been tremendous at closing out games until that outdoor game. Like, one of the best in the league.

yep goldfish memories.

remind me, who was it that closed out game 6 in nashville for a stanley cup....wasnt fleury...

Reactions: Lustaf

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Is that 4 goals in 4 games now? The offense seriously needs to pick it up.

I’m starting to doubt Sid hits 100 at this point. I thought it was guaranteed a week ago.

Our schedule is tough right now. Sid does get two more games vs the Rangers who are icing a pretty bad lineup right now and also two more against the Red Wings. Chances are he'll play in all or almost all of them as we'll be battling to secure a spot and home ice probably until the very end of the season.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
yep goldfish memories.

remind me, who was it that closed out game 6 in nashville for a stanley cup....wasnt fleury...
It's fair to say we need to stop doing it because it is certainly a trend recently, but yea this isn't some long-standing problem. A month ago, closing games was one of our biggest strengths.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Never one to mention this, because it's part of hockey and I LOATHE excuses. But it'd be nice to have an opposing goalie NOT stand on his head.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I am still waiting for Gudbranson to be terrible. I have yet to see it. A very pleasant surprise.

If he plays the way he has been since the trade then I think everyone will gladly take it. I will be more than happy to eat a big plate of crow. He's been steady and that's all we can ask of him. I really haven't seen any major mistakes which is nice. Hopefully he can continue with this consistency.

Reactions: td_ice

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are working hard and that is refreshing. Good to see. Must have hit 4 or 5 posts and they brought the play to the Preds. Rust on the line with Sid gives him that RH shot which is a much easier pass. Rust and Bjugstad were really good tonight and Horny played his butt off as well. All in all, a very nice effort and Pens if Malkin can play at a star level, lots of reasons to like their chances.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are working hard and that is refreshing. Good to see. Must have hit 4 or 5 posts and they brought the play to the Preds. Rust on the line with Sid gives him that RH shot which is a much easier pass. Rust and Bjugstad were really good tonight and Horny played his butt off as well. All in all, a very nice effort and Pens if Malkin can play at a star level, lots of reasons to like their chances.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
@ColePens, the PP needs a full makeover in terms of the design. I truly think this goes beyond an execution/effort issue.

The breakout is stale.

They don't know how to set things up so a guy has the option to dump where a guy on the other side of the ice actually is coming with speed to chase.

They don't move in the offensive zone.

They don't create isolated 2 on 1's in high danger areas.

They don't support.

End of the day, the Pens PP is like checkers. Straight forward. Predictable. Trying to beat you through superior talent and a guy making a great 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 play.

What the Pens PP should be designed to remind me of is chess, where the Pens are using pieces to attack in combination.
beside that, I cant think of a thing they do wrong.:sarcasm:

Reactions: KIRK and ColePens

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Never one to mention this, because it's part of hockey and I LOATHE excuses. But it'd be nice to have an opposing goalie NOT stand on his head.

Probably easier to score if they did

#dadjoke
giphy.gif

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Cullen: 1 ES goal in his last 46 games
Simon: 1 ES goal in his last 24 games
Kessel: 0 ES goals in his last 25 games
Hornqvist: 0 ES goals in his last 28 games
Schultz: 1 ES goal in his last 18 games
Blueger: 1 ES goal in his last 14 games
Johnson, Pettersson and Gudbranson: 1 ES goal in 137 combined games this year

Anyone who is complaining about goaltending or anyone not mentioned above is ignoring the real reasons why this team is struggling.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

Definitely outplayed the Preds. Big win on the road, sans my b!+ching.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Also, pretty hard for me to blame a goalie that has been a wall when literally every line but the 1st is not scoring. It Murray was getting blown out sure. But the average SV% this year is like .913

We do need to score more, but Murray also needs to stop letting in bad goals in the last five minutes of games. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

Like I said though Matt has been excellent and he's getting us points. It's probably mental right now with the last five minutes. Needs to just get through that once in a game and the confidence will be back in those situations.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd like to advance a theory, see if people think it holds water. Murray is probably facing the most draining run of his hockey career - huge start streaks, big shot totals, at least 2 back to backs, lots of OT, etc.etc. Is this maybe causing him to get a little tired and lose a little focus late on?

Other than that...

Team. Needs. Goals. And... lot of good opportunities, but very few of them taken in a way where Rinne had to do more than be in the right place and not foul up. Yeah, we're being a bit unlucky running after goaltender after goaltender that's completely in the zone... but those guys still give up goals if you create really good opportunities, and take really good shots.

And that's not happening. Kessel can't elevate a puck to save his life right now. His big defensive play in OT earned most of his money in one moment but he just can't elevate a puck. The Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist line is great and does great things but lacks one guy with little extra bit of class, or even just a big booming shot. Cullen's neutered due to losing all his good wingers. So its just Sid & Friends. I know some of this is luck, but a lot of it isn't and I think Sully needs to change some stuff up.

Team. Need. To. Keep. Leads. Don't really know what's going on there.

This team right now is basically brilliant at everything except the most important things to do to get points.

But two today will do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad