Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Kings: The 1am poop edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Back to back games. Back to back short handed goals given up.

Up to 10. Record is 21. Are we on pace still?

We need to ban Geno from making east/west passes on the blueline. Just get it on net! How many turnovers directly from that have lead to goals? I'd be shocked if that isn't on every team's scouting report. Pressure the blueline while the Pens pass east/west and profit.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I dont think you have to do that. I just think that they have to play lower.

When you have the best board player of all time, it shouldn't be a problem. But other guys are going to have to be willing to skate hard and work along the walls.

Right. They are dependant on the point to a fault. Guys moved around a little better but they still didn't get in those soft areas, and they still stood and watched a good bit. It drives me nuts when Sid and Geno do the usual, and Kessel has no outlets down low unless Sid drops behind the net.

Moving creates space, cutting through the box disrupts. In the end it always ends up being perimeter play while up a man.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Right. They are dependant on the point to a fault. Guys moved around a little better but they still didn't get in those soft areas, and they still stood and watched a good bit. It drives me nuts when Sid and Geno do the usual, and Kessel has no outlets down low unless Sid drops behind the net.

Moving creates space, cutting through the box disrupts. In the end it always ends up being perimeter play while up a man.

The one thing on the PP that the Pens don't seem to do too often, but the other potent PPs around the league do very well, is have a guy in the bumper position in the slot for shots. With the Caps, it's Oshie. With the Bruins, it's Bergeron. The Pens have one guy screening, but the other four guys kind of play around the umbrella, with Sid only occasionally sneaking into the slot.

We don't seem to favor a guy in the slot area for some reason.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Meh. Pens are 1-1 on the trip. That's all I care about right now. If they get lit up again on Tuesday, then it's fair to a bit concerned.

:tvhappy::help::surrender

They will be facing a big defense and speedy skilled offense. They need to tighten WAY the f*** up. The only hope is that Jones is off on his angles a bit.

Heaven forbid it be a special teams game.

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
Was at the game. Not sure if they showed it on TV, but there were three blatant interference calls the refs ignored. Quick looked like the 2012 version. Pens played uninspired until the third. Geno looks even worse in person.

Snoop Dogg and Sidney Crosby needs to be a reality TV show.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Good thing I fell asleep for this one. It was known I'd never survive watching half the chelsea game and 2 playoff football games before the pens game even started. Looks like I missed a stinker of a game by the penguins. Eh, I still like to watch win or lose, just can't watch blow out loses.

Reactions: Son Goku

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I wonder how much time zones affect the players. I traveled 2 hours west and for a little bit I was out of whack. Technically the penguins are playing at 1030 in their bodies while LA is playing more stable.

I wonder how big a difference it makes to pro athletes.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm watching PENGUINS v CAPITALS from 27-APRIL 2017. Game one second round. I found it downloaded in super HD and 60 fps! hell yeah... I'm going to watch it.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I wonder how much time zones affect the players. I traveled 2 hours west and for a little bit I was out of whack. Technically the penguins are playing at 1030 in their bodies while LA is playing more stable.

I wonder how big a difference it makes to pro athletes.

It can't possibly be a big deal for these guys. They had a couple days to acclimate, anyway.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
+ i missed most of the game, but saw Guentzel's first goal and only a small portion of the 2nd period when they were tied at 1

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Malkin is GARBAGE. GARBAGE, GARBAGE, GARBAGE!

He's a massive issue atm and all these bells and whistles(3C, beefed up D, LW'er) won't matter a lick if Geno doesn't have a Rust/Murray like turnaround.

I know the guy is capable but his engine is either dinged up or it looks like it's running on fumes both in physical and mind.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I am pleasantly surprised by the lack of 20 pages of "the sky is falling" posts. Quick who is one of the best in the world when he has a good day outplayed our backup. Too bad but not something to get all that pissed about. Sid and Jake are on fire but even so it's hard to beat great goaltending on a back to back.

Why is everyone blaming Geno, it was Petterson and Letang with the key turnovers. Kessel's defensive effort on the shortie was really bad too. I mean, Geno needs to do better, of course but I don't see why he is singled out for any of the goals against. The whole PP1 is so reluctant to get back to defend. DeSmith saved the 2 on 1, then Kopitar still had all the time in the world for a second shot. Happened against Florida too but they somehow managed not to score.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Pettersson and Letang combined to be a -5 in +/- and -3 on Giveaways/takeaways, not good. They tried to get too aggressive and be too cute and it cost them and by extension the team. Fortunately this isn't a trend, but if we're to go anywhere both need to be much better with their reads, pinches and puck management.

Brassards issues at this point are a broken record, very disappointed in his overall effort and play.

Jake and Sid look great together and both deserved a better fate last night.

Reactions: Rudy Russo and BHD

fragmag

Mar 4, 2011
Pittsburgh
I know we say this every year, and this year definitely hasn't been as bad as past years, but I can't wait for this team to be fully healthy. Having ZAR, Horny, and Shultz out there would be a great boost.

Reactions: ncm7772 and BHD

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I know we’re missing some players but we haven’t been playing well on this trip so far...I know we won last night but it was mostly due to the Ducks stopping defending the last two periods...

I just see a troubling trend...our goaltending is falling off from its stellar pace the last 10 games...bound to have some regression to the mean but we can’t be giving up 4+ goals a night...we’re also reverting to sloppy on the PP and defending around the net,..

I hope we get this nipped in the bud soon...SJS is actually a contending team...can’t keep playing loosy goosy and win...

Is it that the Ducks "stopped defending" or that the Pens simply responded well after a brutal 1sr period?

Reactions: Tom Hanks

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Back to back games. Back to back short handed goals given up.

Up to 10. Record is 21. Are we on pace still?

We need to ban Geno from making east/west passes on the blueline. Just get it on net! How many turnovers directly from that have lead to goals? I'd be shocked if that isn't on every team's scouting report. Pressure the blueline while the Pens pass east/west and profit.

10 shorties only half way through the season is simply unacceptable, and it seems like it's due to the same mistakes being made over and over. why sully refuses to make the necessary adjustments is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad