Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Kings: The 1am poop edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
And yet these same players conceded far fewer shorties last season. Not only but Letang is actually a lot better this season than last season. Maybe there is another explanation?

This is my last response to you and then I'm going to move on with my day. I think the said players are dumb. Other teams know they are going to do dumb things. As a result they know know Malkin and Letang will make a high risk play at zone entry instead of dumping the puck. They pressure said players and sometimes a turnover occurs* resulting in a goal the other way. Sometimes we setup and our powerplay is unstoppable. I continue to enjoy watching the positives of said players' game and realize we can't win every game. Our team has worts but alot less than most teams and I feel fortunate.

* This happens way too much for anyone's liking.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I disagree but it is not like I have any stats to back up my opinion. I think Shultz is less "high risk" and is better getting pucks to the net. In the past I thought this is was the better option. Not sure I feel the same when considering 2018-2019's Letang. He has always been light years better at zone entries but currently hes been able to get the pucks to the net. The hope passes are his downfall and that's not going to change.

If we substitute Shultz for Letang look for Malkin doing the majority of the zone entries and more short handed goals going the other way. Doing too much syndrome would be rampant.

The power play is what is and shouldn't be changed.

One thing that matters with Schultz is putting the puck in Geno's wheelhouse.

I think even overall Letang was proven to be better, by better, meaning better numbers, but Schultz was way more safe, less risk.

You can change the PP all you want, a lot of the time, like now, it's done for them due to injuries alone. Doesn't mean they can't change it to fit those on a given PP.

Reactions: BHD

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
This is my last response to you and then I'm going to move on with my day. I think the said players are dumb. Other teams know they are going to do dumb things.

So the other teams finally had a revelation and realized that these two veteran players that even casual fans are well familiar with, are, in fact, dumb? Okay, I am going to go with "I don't think so".

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
So the reason we conceded fewer shorties last season was Schultz and yet if he replaces Letang we would concede more shorties? Something doesn't quite add up here.

Anyway, Letang usually is one of the best in the game in making up for his own errors by getting back quickly, this season he doesn't seem to be as good at it as usual which is weird because he has been stellar 5 on 5, on the PK and offensively on the PK. But my bold guess is that it has nothing to do with losing IQ points in the summer.

What doesn't add up is that you are cherry picking my thoughts in response and not including my whole thoughts which includes that the current setup is what we should go with.

You can agree to disagree with me but quote the whole thing. You're using the quote feature like someone I don't want to have conversation with. I'm not sure how you are allowed to do that with the stringent rules here.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
All I know, if anyone jumps in anywhere near the middle they will be confused as heck.

For that.... I'm truly sorry.

I'm a part of it.:popcorn:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
All I know, if anyone jumps in anywhere near the middle they will be confused as heck.

For that.... I'm truly sorry.

I'm a part of it.:popcorn:

I think we got the premise. One guy says Malkin and Letang are low IQ players. The rest of us laugh and move on.

Malkin does take risks but he is arguably the second best player of his generation. Malkin is 2nd in points per 82 games for his generation and 14th all time. Malkin is also 2nd in Points per 82 games for the playoffs also for current players. The only person that has averaged better is Crosby. So while Malkin does try to make something out of nothing sometimes he is far from a low hockey IQ. You don’t become the 2nd best of you generation with low hockey IQ no matter how skilled you are. You become a Yakupov.

Letang is the same way. Great player that tries to do too much sometimes but far from low hockey IQ. Sorry this is not even an argument. I just feel sorry for someone trying to make that case.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I am not worried about any of those things. Goaltending is fine and will be fine, also they will work on their defense, first pair is fine, third pair is fine, we just need that second pair to solidify...

I am more worried about our third, and fourth line...even with Kessel back to skating the last two games they are kind of pedestrian not creating much pressure, the fourth as it was last night should not be playing at all. I may be the only one not worried about our second line...I think Geno is playing fine, depending on who ends up as the third wheel there that will be the line positive every night

It really is a bummer that Brass is struggling to find his groove with this team. Him playing up to his capabilities could be that one piece to take this team up another notch.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
It really is a bummer that Brass is struggling to find his groove with this team. Him playing up to his capabilities could be that one piece to take this team up another notch.

Is there someone presumed to be on the block, whose cap hit isn't too much higher than Brassard's with us, that would mesh better with Phil?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I'd agree with this. SJS is a real measuring stick at this point
To a point yes, because this is our first match of two with them... I feel Eastern teams like Washington, Tampa, and Toronto are more of a measurement of where this team is at. Because those are all possible teams to face on the journey to the final. But what I meant was more we had a back to back on the road, and we get 2 of 3 it’s a good road trip. But SJ is s team to be measured by, I just don’t measure cross conference match ups as a pure measure because if the team goes the distance we only face one of them. The team has to face many Eastern teams on the journey.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
It's amusing to see people getting on a poster for calling Letang dumb when that was probably the single most common thing posted on here last year. :laugh:

Reactions: ronduguayshair

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's amusing to see people getting on a poster for calling Letang dumb when that was probably the single most common thing posted on here last year. :laugh:

He did have some reasons for being extra dumb though last season. He’s played his smartest hockey this season. Playing on that instinct but also not taking those big hits and making a lot of fast correct decisions

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

It's all about context.

Saying he is low iq is different than saying he made a stupid decision. One implies he doesn't know how to play at all one implies he f***ed up.

Plus. Gotta look at the source. Dude is a shit stirrer.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
To a point yes, because this is our first match of two with them... I feel Eastern teams like Washington, Tampa, and Toronto are more of a measurement of where this team is at. Because those are all possible teams to face on the journey to the final. But what I meant was more we had a back to back on the road, and we get 2 of 3 it’s a good road trip. But SJ is s team to be measured by, I just don’t measure cross conference match ups as a pure measure because if the team goes the distance we only face one of them. The team has to face many Eastern teams on the journey.

This is a very measured response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad