Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus Minus: Pens vs. Jackets Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
I thought Malkin had a bit of pep in his step tonight and looked dangerous, somewhat surprised he's getting so much guff . I don't really have any negatives to say, except that one awful shift by Trotman was awfully awful.

Reactions: Icarium

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Bjugstad deserved that goal. For a little bit prior to the goal he was looking really dangerous. I wish we saw more of that. I didn't know he had it in him, even for a short spurt.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Exactly. But Bleuger is doing it right now too.

I mean he only had 7 min. And has 4 hits a takeaway (which was a great move on the pk).

He has less than 6 min of ev strength with Cullen and Wilson. It’s hard to show much more than he did.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Hainsey was better.

Gudbranson can't turn well and i really don't like that.

But aside from a few boneheaded plays he's been okay. Can't ask for much more, He's done his job.

With JJ playing FANTASTIC, where does Maatta fit? We know he's way better than JJ overall but as of now i don't move JJ to RD.

Seems atm they're trying to get pairs gel'ing so they kept JJ-Schultz and MP-Guds vs making Dumo-Schultz(they made Dumo-Trots).

Since Olli fills MP's role on the left side, i'd expect him to be out unless he's playing outstanding hockey, which he sorta isn't.

The prospect of Olli-Guds is terrifying tho...
Guds is only gonna work here with Dumo, MP or Riiko atm, imo.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The Jackets are a good team.

You do realize the Pens aren’t a juggernaut right? Even in 2015-16 when we were we were often coming back in the 2nd or 3rd down a goal. Pens put the nail in the coffin from the first powerplay, capitalized on a huge play in the dying minutes of the 2nd, and hit the empty night. Our third line was dominant tonight.

Soz to dredge up stuff from 10 pages ago buuuuuutttt

Bolded is not true.

I counted post-deadline 2016. In 21 games we won 16 and lost 5. We won 4 of 5 trailing after the 1st period and lost from in front once. We only came back from trailing into the 3rd once after the deadline out of 4 times.

2nd Periods: Lead 7 times, tied 9 times, behind 5 times.
3rd Periods: Lead 13 times, tied 4 times, behind 4 times.

The real story was that we rarely trailed and we never gave up leads. We were absolutely a juggernaut in 2016, from at least the deadline all the way through the playoffs. 2016-17 was a different story and that's why I never advocate that we do anything we were doing in 2017.

2016 cup was a dominant team performance with awesome coaching. 2017 was goaltending and top end forward talent and a hell of a lot of luck.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Soz to dredge up stuff from 10 pages ago buuuuuutttt

2016-17 was a different story and that's why I never advocate that we do anything we were doing in 2017.

2017 was goaltending and top end forward talent and a hell of a lot of luck.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I can't let that one go. I don't live there now but Columbus is as good or better place to live than Pittsburgh and yes I have spent time in Pittsburgh.

No big deal. Panarin doesn't want to live in Pittsburgh, either, lol.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
MTL losing looking solid now. Penguins get a break. Don't really matter though as 9 seed is the worry and that is CBJ. Beat them Saturday and have a 6 point hold on them. That is huge.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
MTL losing looking solid now. Penguins get a break. Don't really matter though as 9 seed is the worry and that is CBJ. Beat them Saturday and have a 6 point hold on them. That is huge.

Well yeah but the more teams that lose the better. Let someone else be the 8th seed target for Columbus to chase.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
No big deal. Panarin doesn't want to live in Pittsburgh, either, lol.
Where are there a lot of Russians or whatever he wants? East coast maybe, NY? Florida? West coast is the opposite of russian, but its warm on the south pacific coast.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Well yeah but the more teams that lose the better. Let someone else be the 8th seed target for Columbus to chase.
I have selective memory, but sometimes I'm right... and I recall most every one here said CBJ would fall out and CAR would make it to post.

This was when CBJ was 2 seed before the deadline.

It's happening.

Reactions: Pancakes

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So glad the Pens were able to shut it down. I still have flashbacks of the Sabres and Flyers game with leads late in the third.

It's kind of funny how the usual suspects are nowhere to be found when Murray has a game like tonight. I was kind of looking forward to their novels breaking down Murray's game tonight. :sarcasm:

I don't want to jinx it because of the sample size, but Gudbranson's looking so much better than I'd expected. And it's rubbing off on Johnson as well. Maybe JR and Co. know something we don't? :laugh:

Biggest surprise of the night was Sid hitting the empty net!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If that did happen. I'd love to be a fly of the wall when Tortoretta meets Crosby and Geno for the first time as a pens coach.

If you were a fly on the wall.... would you understand english tho?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig