Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus Minus: Pens vs. Jackets Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I agree. I’m ultimately a fan of the game. I like Columbus’s core a lot. Jenner, Jones, DuBois, Anderson, and Werenski are all solid players.

They really are. Tbh, I don't get why the management didn't put more faith in them as a group of players to build around and decide to cut their losses and throw their support in behind them instead. I mean, I do get why, nobody likes a team that goes "Ehh... I know we look good, but you know, play it safe, we're not great", but long term patience and asset harbouring creates behemoths.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Simon is the only winger I can recall having any chemistry with Malkin this season, aside from Kessel.

They were building something together, then had a bad game and it was over.

Have we ever seen Simon Malkin Kessel? Can’t recall...

I don't think they ever tried that. I think they view simon as mainly a right wing I would give it a try at least he has some skill. The line cant be worse.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I was dead set against Torts being hired because I thought he was an idiotidio I must admit that I was wrong. He has really changed from NY and Vancouver days. He is still an emotional guy but he is not the out of control idiot that he was.

I dunno. Those comments about Duclair make me think otherwise.

Also, he’s never had a team just blow the doors off into the playoffs. Sullivan is basically everything good about Torts missing everything bad.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Columbus has been trying to manufacture a rivalry with Pittsburgh for a long time. I don’t hate Columbus, and that’s why I find them annoying. I simply don’t have time to hate you with Washington and Philadelphia existing.
Not sure who "Columbus" is but most fans know that you must be competitive to have a rivalry and that is not the case. I hear media types talking about it sometimes but those announcers from tonight have nothing to do with the Jackets.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
They really are. Tbh, I don't get why the management didn't put more faith in them as a group of players to build around and decide to cut their losses and throw their support in behind them instead. I mean, I do get why, nobody likes a team that goes "Ehh... I know we look good, but you know, play it safe, we're not great", but long term patience and asset harbouring creates behemoths.

Yeah, you would think they’d look at Winnipeg which they have shades of and play it cool.

Then again I imagine Jarmo was going to lose his job.

Reactions: Peat

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I wouldn’t hate switching ZAR and Simon, but I am highly against moving any of those other pieces on L1 and L3 (including Rust)

Honestly L1 right wing doesn't matter with the way jake and side are playing. It could be TB, Cullen, Wilson or a brick and Sid would bounce a goal off of it.

Reactions: froods

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don’t really have a bone to pick with Columbus. But it is one of those watch the world burn things. I feel bad for Columbus fans who finally get the star they needed and he wants to walk.
It's like Wilkes-Barre had an NHL team. Who the f*** in their right mind would want to live there?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Yeah, you would think they’d look at Winnipeg which they have shades of and play it cool.

Then again I imagine Jarmo was going to lose his job.

I dont think he would. Had he landed a first plus for panarin and a 2nd plus for bob. They would of have two first and you solid core. He should have moved Panarin last summer for a ransom. He probably could have landed a good young winger with cost control.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Not sure who "Columbus" is but most fans know that you must be competitive to have a rivalry and that is not the case. I hear media types talking about it sometimes but those announcers from tonight have nothing to do with the Jackets.

The team. “Columbus” in this context is the team :laugh:

Reactions: Shady Machine

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You don't think ZAR was looking good with him for a few games too? I thought they looked great. And now they are treating a down swing how they should have treated the bad game with Simon.

Nah, never saw ZAR and Malkin building any real chemistry. ZAR was doing some things I’d expect from a decent third line winger, but people got all excited because he was winning some board battles and not being totally incompetent with the puck.

It’s kind of the same with McCann where people think he’s all dope and some top six guy in the making. I’m still not seeing the vision or instincts there. I mean... I want to, but I see a guy with wheels that works hard and has some nice tools... but he struggles with the puck on his stick just like ZAR.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Nah, never saw ZAR and Malkin building any real chemistry. ZAR was doing some things I’d expect from a decent third line winger, but people got all excited because he was winning some board battles and not being totally incompetent with the puck.

It’s kind of the same with McCann where people think he’s all dope and some top six guy in the making. I’m still not seeing the vision or instincts there. I mean... I want to, but I see a guy with wheels that works hard and has some nice tools... but he struggles with the puck on his stick just like ZAR.

The difference is McCann plays to his strengths and gives everything. He knows what to do and does it. ZAR looks like he has no idea what he is good at or should do.

Reactions: KIRK

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Genius level IQ...

Seriously though, not sad about the win. They are playing great team D and I hope it continues once everyone is back.

The missed opportunities are maddening at times. They had multiple chances to really bury the Jackets and not have it be a nail biter till the end but they couldn’t make anything happen.

You're not upset they are just coasting thru each win on their way to the playoffs waiting to turn on that switch?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Have you ever been there? Columbus is actually a really cool and young city.

I agree. Very up and coming, as is Pittsburgh, with a lot of the right kind of talent moving there. Somewhere in Ohio was the runner up for Apple's billion dollar second HQ and I am guessing it was Columbus.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The difference is McCann plays to his strengths and gives everything. He knows what to do and does it. ZAR looks like he has no idea what he is good at or should do.

ZAR is really good tracking back in his own zone. I usually feel pretty relaxed when I see him in his own zone on the strong side. Always feel like he will make the proper reads.

In the AZ, ya... he’s just sort of there like I said the other day. He’s a break even guy like Pearson.

I thought he would be a better net front presence in the NHL, but he’s had some struggles there learning how to anchor and free his stick. So I can’t really point to anything he does well offensively.

Reactions: KIRK

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Right, so if JJ is playing like this, you play him over maatta. He's playing better than maatta has in a long time.
How much of that can be attributed the forwards coming back and actually cutting off the walls and blocking shooting lanes and not just standing around hoping the puck stops at their feet?

To me they're fairly even defensively, but JJ is obviously more physical in front of the net, while Olli has the better stick. I do think Maatta has the edge on him in the offensive zone. He can actually hit the net from time to time and is better at finding the open man.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I'm not sure a lack of mobility on the defense is the problem here and I don't think you can do much about the 2nd line with Malkin playing the way he is.
The lack of mobility will be a problem next season from October through January. The forwards aren't going to play like this for an entire regular season.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Huge win for just getting into the playoffs.

We do not have to catch the Islanders or Caps. We simply have to outrun the slowest fattest kid on the block.

10tprk.jpg

Reactions: Pancakes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad