Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Flyers - How to embarrass your way to 2 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hey man, don't discount the refs.

They were awesome tonight.
0906-betts.jpg

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And the goals that didn’t go in?
yeah, just like all the Flyers' tonight. When our goals don't go in, we didn't really outplay the other guys, they just let us have easy to save shots. But when it goes the other way, we suck and got lucky not to get crushed.

Reactions: Peat

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Two games for Geno, one if we're lucky. Very disappointed in him and he's right there with Mario as my all time favorite.

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And the goals that didn’t go in?

How you can’t enjoy a win against our rival to end their playoff hopes and goaltending story is beyond me if you are really a Pens fan.

Don’t give a shit how we won. You don’t know the pain of this franchise if you can’t appreciate us beating the Flyers after what they’ve done to us.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
How you can’t enjoy a win against our rival to end their playoff hopes and goaltending story is beyond me if you are really a Pens fan.

Don’t give a **** how we won. You don’t know the pain of this franchise if you can’t appreciate us beating the Flyers after what they’ve done to us.
Who the hell said I’m not enjoying the win?

Beating the Flyers or Caps is a good night anytime.

I’m simply saying that while we can enjoy crushing the souls of the Flyers, we can also realize that allowing 50+ shots a night will not win you many games, period. This team is majorly flawed and can not seem to climb out of this funk and start playing the way that we know they are capable of playing.

Reactions: Doogle and Son Goku

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Who the hell said I’m not enjoying the win?

Beating the Flyers or Caps is a good night anytime.

I’m simply saying that while we can enjoy crushing the souls of the Flyers, we can also realize that allowing 50+ shots a night will not win you many games, period. This team is majorly flawed and can not seem to climb out of this funk and start playing the way that we know they are capable of playing.

If this is you enjoying something...

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Having fun on the main board. lol, been a long time. As always, everyone has their agenda, nobody really wants to cop to both being wrong.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
+Murray - outstanding. Literally the reason the Flyers didn't score a dozen tonight.

+Sid. His line was pretty damn dominant. Too bad he sucks with the empty net.

+Tanger. On surpassing Coffey as the all-time goal leader among defensemen.

--------WHATEVER THE HELL THAT IS THEY TRY TO PLAY AWAY FROM THE PUCK BECAUSE IT SURE AIN'T DEFENSIVE STRUCTURE. Seriously, what the hell? Watching this team when the opposition has the puck is like a textbook for coaches on what NOT to have your players do.

Three forwards go in deep for whatever reason and get caught in 3 on 2 situations the other way, no one attempts to even slow down the opposition through the neutral zone, and no one seems to understand which man to take when they enter the Pens' zone.

-Geno gets a minus for me tonight for what was an incredibly dangerous and stupid swing of his stick, and because he literally gave the Flyers a chance to tie it with his stupidity when the game was pretty much out of reach otherwise.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
-Geno gets a minus for me tonight for what was an incredibly dangerous and stupid swing of his stick, and because he literally gave the Flyers a chance to tie it with his stupidity when the game was pretty much out of reach otherwise.

Is it though?

Raffl punched him in the back of the head, the refs should have called that the moment it happened, Geno let his emotions get the best of him after that. If the league suspends him for it, they better f***ing suspend Raffl as well because Raffl punched him in the back of the head.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You’re selfishly putting a player over the team and that’s ridiculous.

Malkin’s been a dog this year on a super long leash.

A leash that he's earned through service to this team.

If you tell me at the start of the match that Malkin's gonna take a 5 minute penalty with 5 minutes to go, do I still want to play him, the answer is still probably yes because he makes the team that much better.

Interesting. To go with the shot chart earlier in the thread, Pens had 24 scoring chances for and 14 against. Pens 6 high danger, Flyers 7. Not what I expected.

Pittsburgh Penguins @ Philadelphia Flyers, 2019-02-11

I did. The moment I saw that shot chart with the Flyers on the perimeter, I guessed it had to look like that.

Last night was like watching the 16-17 playoffs again. Rope-a-dope. Looks bad, feels dangerous, but a lot safer than that because you're generating quality opportunities and they're making a lot of trash ones.

Reactions: td_ice

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
So the Flyers play dirty all night (cause the Pens are the softest team ever assembled), and a Pens star finally has enough and flips out? Color me shocked. Absolutely shocked.

And another point for the guys pining for speed. It would be great. The problem is, unless they sign Apollo Ono, or Sully has them out in the alley chasing chickens, it's not going to happen. The rest of the league is fast now too and knows how to play against speed.

Reactions: Victor Z

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If a guy punched me in the head I’d hit him with a stick for sure. Guess I’m just a savage.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
After giving up like five odd-man rushes and glorious chances to the Flyers early on, we started collapsing like the 2010 Habs. It worked somehow but I really wouldn't count on it to work often because we are absolutely terrible at clearing the puck from our zone. Even in the third and first periods when we were doing quite fine outside our zone, we were hemmed in way too often because we couldn't clear the puck. The boxing out effort was great, kudos to the boys for that, but we were really fortunate that there was no deflection ending in the net because that's what usually happen if you let the opponent shoot through traffic all game long. Simmonds being a shell of the old Simmonds helped too.

Geno deserves a suspension no doubt. But the NHL is a bush league where you can punch people in the head and not even get a hearing (I am not calling out the Flyers specifically, every team does it), where the result of the infraction (injury or not) matters a lot for some reason and where being a star means you get more leniency, so who knows what they will do. The next game is against Edmonton, we can beat them without Geno (or lose with him because we suck against bottom feeders).

On the bright side, if he is suspended that means Teddy is back! ;)

Oh, wait ZAR is about to return. Sorry, Teddy.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Control of your stick is important but Malkin made a stupid retaliatory response that cost this team. Both results as to what that stick hit and team winning will work out Can't see a suspension with no real impact on Raffi. They take injuries into account on those kids of things. Hopefully Malkin sees the looks from the room and coach and gets it. Pens got a great performance from Murray and won a game they had no right winning. Nice break but still, team is just looking suspect and need to get focused and Sully has to quit his BS line experiments.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
So a punch in the back of the head is fine. Apparently.
It is a VERY dangerous place to be hit, for sure. There's a reason it's illegal to punch someone in the back of the head in boxing. A sport that is purely based around punching people, yet it's still against the rules! NHLers have literally had their careers ended by being punched in the back of the head yet the NHL is going to NHL.

That doesn't excuse Malkin's stick swing but I understand his frustration. Lets not pretend that Malkin hasn't been a very sneaky dirty player though. There's countless times when I thought he would be suspended yet he never has. Again, NHL gonna NHL, just keep letting things snowball.

Reactions: Shady Machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad