Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Flyers - How to embarrass your way to 2 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
On Murray, I don't know why people are still questioning if he's back. He's up to a .914 save% on the year, which is on the same level as Fleury (.911), Dubnyk (.913), Hellebuyck (.912), Howard (.913), Gibson (.914), Rinne (.914) and Price (.915) this year. Considering how goal scoring has gone up, a .915 save% is very good from your starter. Murray isn't a .935 starter like he has been in his last 16 games, but I bet he's much closer to that than what he was to start this year.

Murray just seems to get more crap than he deserves from Penguins fans overall. I just find it weird that the comments about him are so much louder than the comments about Fleury, despite Murray never having even close to the lows that Fleury had. Murray's "lows" would be considered fine by Fleury, but people still question him.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have the deepest forward group in years. But Sully is not doing a very good job in setting the table as to line combos. Have proposed Bjugstad at center with Kessel and Pearson. Sid Jake Rust and McCann Geno Horny the first two. Cullen back to Minny and play Blueger at center. Reese and Wilson provide the grit and WB connection that can be a effective 4th line. Simon sits.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
If Geno connects on that swing we likely do not see him play for quite a while. You cannot weaponize your hockey stick...no. Punch the guy back or whack his leg, but the idea that swinging for someone's head in that situation is justifiable is flat out wrong.

Reactions: Doogle and BHD

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Murray just seems to get more crap than he deserves from Penguins fans overall. I just find it weird that the comments about him are so much louder than the comments about Fleury, despite Murray never having even close to the lows that Fleury had. Murray's "lows" would be considered fine by Fleury, but people still question him.

It will never end with the Fleury maniacs. They're an odd, obsessive group of neurotic drama queens.

Yeah posters trying to make sense of the Geno thing are ****ing out to lunch.

1) It's a stick to the eye/face/head area. If we want it out of the league altogether, as we've wanted for YEARS, then we have to act the same way when our player does it. Can't be a hypocrite.

2) The team is on a huge skid where nothing is going right. Talk about the worst time to do it. Yikes.

So yeah.. anyone saying "IT'S HOCKEY. THIS ISN'T TENNIS." can straight **** right off.

Post of the thread.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pens have the deepest forward group in years. But Sully is not doing a very good job in setting the table as to line combos. Have proposed Bjugstad at center with Kessel and Pearson. Sid Jake Rust and McCann Geno Horny the first two. Cullen back to Minny and play Blueger at center. Reese and Wilson provide the grit and WB connection that can be a effective 4th line. Simon sits.

Lets not give away the 27 point pace 4C for no good reason.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
On Murray, I don't know why people are still questioning if he's back. He's up to a .914 save% on the year, which is on the same level as Fleury (.911), Dubnyk (.913), Hellebuyck (.912), Howard (.913), Gibson (.914), Rinne (.914) and Price (.915) this year. Considering how goal scoring has gone up, a .915 save% is very good from your starter. Murray isn't a .935 starter like he has been in his last 16 games, but I bet he's much closer to that than what he was to start this year.

And that's with this awesome defense in front of him. Sheesh.

Reactions: Smasher

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
The “punch” to the back of the head didn’t seem that vicious to me. That crap happens every game.

Taking a 5 penalty there is not committed to winning. And that’s this season’s Malkin.

Reactions: Doogle

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I am 100% ok with what Geno did.

The refs aren't protecting the goalies and the players, I don't give a **** anymore.

I think all of us who played have had dirty punches to the back of the head, but you can’t wildly swing your stick that high in retaliation.

Biggest reason being you could hit a teammate in the head, face, etc.

Also, if he connected it could have done career ending damage. That dude is a scumbag, but you have to rise above it as best you can.

I’d have no problem if he threw a reverse elbow and knocked a few chicklets loose, or turned around and crosschecked him.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
A leash that he's earned through service to this team.

If you tell me at the start of the match that Malkin's gonna take a 5 minute penalty with 5 minutes to go, do I still want to play him, the answer is still probably yes because he makes the team that much better.

I did. The moment I saw that shot chart with the Flyers on the perimeter, I guessed it had to look like that.

Last night was like watching the 16-17 playoffs again. Rope-a-dope. Looks bad, feels dangerous, but a lot safer than that because you're generating quality opportunities and they're making a lot of trash ones.

The excuses and free passes for Malkin need to stop. He’s been playing under the bar in every aspect of his game this year. Not good enough. He’s no longer as good as he and some think he is.

It’s time to buy in and start playing smart, team oriented hockey. We can’t overcome his disinterest. No more ridiculously long shifts. No more stick infraction penalties. No more hope passes. No more dogging it on the power play.

I hope he proves me wrong. The fact he was shooting it last night with purpose is a good sign.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Penguins outchances Flyers, Flyers dominated shot clock. The only time Flyers looked remotely dangerous was PP.

That being said Penguins need much more puck possession, like in the third.

Last edited:

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
If Malkin had punched someone like that you would be here telling us how terrible it was, I bet.

Yeah. Why would Malkin be punching a guy in the back of the head down 3-0? It would be dumb and terrible.

Look over here at the punch not over there with the blantant high stick almost blowing the game.

I would love to be Malkin. He gets excused out of everything. It’s amazing.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Yeah. Why would Malkin be punching a guy in the back of the head down 3-0? It would be dumb and terrible.

So punching people if it had been 3-0 Flyers would have been okay then?

Yes, it's pretty amazing how you believe in something that's about as true as the flat earth "theory".

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

From what I remember people ragged on Fleury all time because of his couple of playoff struggles. It was mostly people showing up after the Steeler season so who cares about them. I think the fact that the same dumb people complaining about Murray were the same ones complaining about Fleury.

The I hate when we plays the puck people are now he can’t catch the puck people.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

I think people are getting tired of MM's durability moreso than his actual play

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
So punching people if it had been 3-0 Flyers would have been okay then?

Yes, it's pretty amazing how you believe in something that's about as true as the flat earth "theory".

You’ve replied to a few of my posts and you just keep talking in circles until you think you’ve won a stupid argument. I’m not even sure what point you’re trying to make??? No longer worth my time.

Malkin shouldnt be punching anyone in the head or swinging his stick around. I would like to assume everyone can agree to that.

I remember when his “passion” was scoring to get even. Let Garrett Wilson get even. That’s why he’s on this team.

Reactions: EightyOne

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
My post game thoughts are:

A. Geno should get sat several games...there should be no excuse for swinging a stick like that, but he will likely get a game at most cause the nhl bigwigs encourage stars getting battered and they encourage stars sticking up for themselves in stupid ways because of some idiotic logic.... they made these dangerous scenarios real by encouraging and allowing cheap nonsense then try to excuse them away.

B. The worse thing for a stubborn, tunnel vision type hockey coach (and there are no other types) is for them to make some highly dubious moves, get drastically outplayed, then win anyhow.... its how inferior lineups get locked in stone

Reactions: EightyOne

turd

Feb 1, 2013
The excuses and free passes for Malkin need to stop. He’s been playing under the bar in every aspect of his game this year. Not good enough. He’s no longer as good as he and some think he is.

It’s time to buy in and start playing smart, team oriented hockey. We can’t overcome his disinterest. No more ridiculously long shifts. No more stick infraction penalties. No more hope passes. No more dogging it on the power play.

I hope he proves me wrong. The fact he was shooting it last night with purpose is a good sign.
The dude is playing at a 90 point pace this season. I think he’s going to be alright.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Why do you find it weird? Fleury has always been a fan favorite and Murray being a stud took their boy toy away from them.

It's personality related but also style related. The same shit is happening with DeSmith, to a lesser degree. People see the neat-o saves kick saves and diving across the crease and think the goalie is standing on his head. Murray plays sound positional hockey, the puck just hits him and people think he didn't have to be very good.

Reactions: BHD

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
The dude is playing at a 90 point pace this season. I think he’s going to be alright.

Sure but are you cool with a pace of 16 even strength goals? I’m not.

Do you think he makes his linemates better five on five? I haven’t seen much of that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Look over here at the punch not over there with the blantant high stick almost blowing the game.

Roughly half the posts in this thread are criticising him in some way. He doesn't get excused out of everything - just over the top criticism as seems to be coming from you.

Reactions: Icarium

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I would love to be Malkin too. Playing the game you love for 9.5MM a year and being one of the best players in the world at it seems pretty neat.

Reactions: Peat

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Sure but are you cool with a pace of 16 even strength goals? I’m not.

Do you think he makes his linemates better five on five? I haven’t seen much of that.
What difference does it make if he scores 16 goals and has 90 points total compared to someone like Ovechkin who scores 60 goals and has 90 points? 90 points is 90 points.

He’s obviously not played as well as he can this season, but I think his season is being a bit overblown by the fans (shocking I know). I think this line with him and Bjugstad and Kessel looks like it could have some success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad