Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Flyers - HOCKEY IS BACK!

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Kind of a funny story the school I help out with had a Flyers scout come in and talk to the players. He actually brought up Disco using the P.O.P and what the term means. One of the coaches leaned over to me and asked why my face was getting so red. I told him because I can't remember the last time the Pens scored on a P.O.P.

I like the idea of putting pucks on net but the lack of poise kills me. Wait until someones coming down the middle of the ice or until someone is in front of the net.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I do think we'll see a pretty substantial trade this year. Ray has all this cap space, and surely won't go into the playoffs with it all intact.

I agree. I've asked the 'will he' question, but, when I do, I think on balance he will.

He's got more cap space than 2008 (Hossa and Gill).

That year, he completely emptied the cupboard to go for it. This year, he'd still have a number of his prime trade chips (the five defensemen, Bennett, the 1st, the 2nd in this deep draft) left over.

He can get Sid an impact winger. I think that's an absolute must.

Odds are, IMO, he will need to address an upgrade in Geno's and Neal's LW and/or an upgrade to the defense (maybe slight, maybe more). Realistically, he's got enough to do both if need be . . .

He's definitely in position to go for it in a way he hasn't been since the 2008 trade deadline.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Awhile back I gave a number of examples of talented top six wings who were acquired over the last several yrs using a combination of second and third round picks. A second and a good prospect could bring back a really nice winger. Shero just has to find that deal.

Crosby just needs a guy who can carry the puck and draw attention away from him. He doesn't need a superstar. Kunitz and Dupuis will never do that.

We saw last night once again that when matchups are controlled by the other bench, and they have a premiere player checking Crosby, it is going to be tough for him to get going. I know it was the first game, but that was playoff checking Crosby was facing.

Shero can't assume anything by the regular season this time. He needs to get a puck carrier for Crosby so he has more space when the playoffs come around and teams laser target his ass shift after shift.

THIS.

It's an absolute must.

Still think the LW situation for Sid and Geno bears watching, but you know I'm game to see, in the same way that I am with Despres, what Tangradi playing and learning now will mean in March (as noted, I was pretty happy that Geno made a concentrated effort defensively, because it allowed Tangradi to get comfortable offensively . . . I don't like that long term, of course, but for now it's fine and gives Tangradi a better chance).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If Nonis was high and took Tangradi for Kumy, I'd drive him to the airport myself.

I'd pay more. I think you would too. ;)

People talk about overpayment, but isn't a guy who is relatively young, experienced, has produced in the league before, and will probably be a pretty cap friendly cap hit for the next 6-8 years be worth an overpayment? We'd be giving up assets that wouldn't help us as much now, but MAYBE in the future, for a guy who would help now, and in the future, while also filling a gaping hole and putting less pressure on the organization to draft and develop a winger, along with not making the organization play the free agent game to fill a hole.

My opinion is that if a guy is an answer to a problem such as the winger issue we have, you overpay for him and never look back.

I'm not sure if Kulemin is or isn't that guy.

For what you'd be asking him to do on a line with Geno and Neal (for what he'd cost to keep and how it wouldn't hurt in terms of when extension for Geno time comes), he is that guy IMO.

For others, they say he had 30 goals the year before, 7 goals last year, he's worth next to nothing.

If you're looking for stats, then Kulemin isn't that guy. If you're looking for a guy with the size, style, and skill set to be a true complementary third wheel to Geno and Neal, if you're looking for someone who is, in these regards, what people here hope in their wildest dreams Tangradi can become, and if you view the goals as gravy, then he's worth the overpayment and you never look back.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Agreed, I do think that he was adjusting offensively.

What I was talking about was the puck management and defensive play. It was as good throughout a game as I've seen since the cup year, before Bylsma beat that out of him. That's what I was referencing with Maurice's influence, that he put a real emphasis on Geno rediscovering his defensive game.

I can see that. Maurice did have him on the PK, too. He was a little shaky at first, but was doing pretty well there at the end of his time with MMg. He even potted a beaut of a shorty :) Have to say, I was a little surprised the Byslma has Sid PK'ing but not Malkin.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I can see that. Maurice did have him on the PK, too. He was a little shaky at first, but was doing pretty well there at the end of his time with MMg. He even potted a beaut of a shorty :) Have to say, I was a little surprised the Byslma has Sid PK'ing but not Malkin.

I'm not surprised at all. Bylsma only really sees Geno as a guy to rely upon when Sid isn't around. Plus, there are two theories, I think, on Geno:

1. You spot him as an offensive workhorse and use him as exclusively as possible in that role. That's Bylsma's approach.

2. Geno's best game comes where the offense flows from playing great two way hockey. That was the Dave King and Paul Maurice approach in the KHL, and I think it also is what Therrien had embraced by the end.

When Bylsma got Geno, the 'after taste' of Therrien's emphasis on defense still was there. It wasn't until after the Pens won the cup where, as with several other players, Bylsma beat Geno's defensive game out of him.

I mean, even last year, when he was doing all that incredible offensive stuff, the defensive game was fair. He lost Kunitz. He got Tangradi, who sort of struggled yesterday in terms of knowing when to go defense. And, his line looked better defensively than it did most of the time with Kunitz there.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
One of the little things that Tangradi did yesterday that really stuck with me was in 3rd period. Neal was carrying the puck down the right wing with ET in the middle. ET tied up the defender's stick so he couldn't block Neal's shot. That plus a bunch of hits and planting himself in front of Bryz every time they were in the O-zone is pretty much all you can ask of him after 3 days of playing with Geno and Neal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
One of the little things that Tangradi did yesterday that really stuck with me was in 3rd period. Neal was carrying the puck down the right wing with ET in the middle. ET tied up the defender's stick so he couldn't block Neal's shot. That plus a bunch of hits and planting himself in front of Bryz every time they were in the O-zone is pretty much all you can ask of him after 3 days of playing with Geno and Neal.

Hey, he did some nice things, especially as the game went on. It was baby steps. I'd like to see how quickly he progresses and when/if he'll be able to do anything defensively. I hope it works out. I have my doubts that it will.

But, I wholeheartedly believe that, like Despres, now is the time to find out what the Pens biggest need (after Sid's RW) will be when the playoffs come and how much of a priority addressing the need is.

As long as I see the trend line showing progress from Tangradi, I'm happy. I care less at this point about the minutia of a shift, a period, or a game.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I'm not surprised at all. Bylsma only really sees Geno as a guy to rely upon when Sid isn't around. Plus, there are two theories, I think, on Geno:

1. You spot him as an offensive workhorse and use him as exclusively as possible in that role. That's Bylsma's approach.

2. Geno's best game comes where the offense flows from playing great two way hockey. That was the Dave King and Paul Maurice approach in the KHL, and I think it also is what Therrien had embraced by the end.

When Bylsma got Geno, the 'after taste' of Therrien's emphasis on defense still was there. It wasn't until after the Pens won the cup where, as with several other players, Bylsma beat Geno's defensive game out of him.

I mean, even last year, when he was doing all that incredible offensive stuff, the defensive game was fair. He lost Kunitz. He got Tangradi, who sort of struggled yesterday in terms of knowing when to go defense. And, his line looked better defensively than it did most of the time with Kunitz there.

You know, I've been thinking about that ... how Geno is used within the system/on the team. I've never doubted that Malkin would re-sign with the Pens until just recently. I don't think he'll head back to the KHL just yet, I think that will be for the last few years of his career ... but for the first time I can see him going to another NHL team.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I didn't see anything Tangradi did as being praiseworthy yesterday. He was mostly invisible and, in my opinion, out of his league trying to keep up with Malkin/Neal. I hope this experiment ends very soon.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You know, I've been thinking about that ... how Geno is used within the system/on the team. I've never doubted that Malkin would re-sign with the Pens until just recently. I don't think he'll head back to the KHL just yet, I think that will be for the last few years of his career ... but for the first time I can see him going to another NHL team.

I don't know if I'd go that far. If there's a sliver of a chance, then I think it all depends upon how this season plays out.

It's not about the money for him, that's for sure. And, he absolutely loves Pittsburgh. But, his best Russian friends in the league, aside from Gonchar, are, I believe Kovalchuk, Kulemin, and Datsyuk, all three of whom play for teams that would break the bank to get Geno (pretty much anyone would, but these three definitely) and have coaches who would use Geno more like Therrien, King, and Maurice have than how Bylsma does.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I didn't see anything Tangradi did as being praiseworthy yesterday. He was mostly invisible and, in my opinion, out of his league trying to keep up with Malkin/Neal. I hope this experiment ends very soon.

I hope it's given a realistic amount of time to work before it ends. Maybe like 5 games or something.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I hope it's given a realistic amount of time to work before it ends. Maybe like 5 games or something.

Where do you think Vegas set the over/under on Bylsma's patience with Tangradi this time?

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Sullivan turned out to be a great addition to the PP. Strange how he never really clicked on the Malkin or Crosby lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad