Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Flyers - HOCKEY IS BACK!

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Just wondering why I keep seeing Sutters name brought up in trades. Do some of you really think Shero is going to trade Staal to the Canes for Sutter, then trade him in the same year?

Because people are speculating on what the asking price might be for certain potential trade targets. That's the reason why you're seeing his name.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
tumblr_mgwsx2Qq4e1r6nmfho1_500.png

What was this and why haven't anyone said this happened yesterday? :laugh:

that is awesome. :laugh:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I do think we'll see a pretty substantial trade this year. Ray has all this cap space, and surely won't go into the playoffs with it all intact.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I do think we'll see a pretty substantial trade this year. Ray has all this cap space, and surely won't go into the playoffs with it all intact.

Haven't we got to sign a few people next year to bigger contract which'll reduce that?

I'd like us to get Iginla or Ryan/Getzlaf but that's unlikely to happen.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
So much for Jagr and Kovalev being finished. Great start and talking about older players how about Teemu. These guys are more in shape then some rookies!!!

They are finished in terms of being able to withstand a whole NHL season. Jagr may do well this year with such a short schedule, but I think we saw last year, Jags slowed down a bit when the schedule waned on

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Haven't we got to sign a few people next year to bigger contract which'll reduce that?

I'd like us to get Iginla or Ryan/Getzlaf but that's unlikely to happen.

This team doesn't need an Iginla, Getzlaf (why would we need a center?), or Ryan. I definitely think this team could absorb a 5 million dollar salary long term though.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh

People thought for sure we'd see a trade last year, but the bottom line is there has to be an actual deal on the table that makes sense, regardless of all other circumstances.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
They are finished in terms of being able to withstand a whole NHL season. Jagr may do well this year with such a short schedule, but I think we saw last year, Jags slowed down a bit when the schedule waned on

True but Teemu didn't. I guess we will see but I agree the short schedule will help these guys big time this year

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
OK, we are on the same page after reading the posts again.

The funny thing is though, Feaster won't come down off his price and that's fine. Let Iggy retire a Flame. The price tag is too inflated. Would much rather see the Pens break bank for Perry.

Awhile back I gave a number of examples of talented top six wings who were acquired over the last several yrs using a combination of second and third round picks. A second and a good prospect could bring back a really nice winger. Shero just has to find that deal.

Crosby just needs a guy who can carry the puck and draw attention away from him. He doesn't need a superstar. Kunitz and Dupuis will never do that.

We saw last night once again that when matchups are controlled by the other bench, and they have a premiere player checking Crosby, it is going to be tough for him to get going. I know it was the first game, but that was playoff checking Crosby was facing.

Shero can't assume anything by the regular season this time. He needs to get a puck carrier for Crosby so he has more space when the playoffs come around and teams laser target his ass shift after shift.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Awhile back I gave a number of examples of talented top six wings who were acquired over the last several yrs using a combination of second and third round picks. A second and a good prospect could bring back a really nice winger. Shero just has to find that deal.

Crosby just needs a guy who can carry the puck and draw attention away from him. He doesn't need a superstar. Kunitz and Dupuis will never do that.

We saw last night once again that when matchups are controlled by the other bench, and they have a premiere player checking Crosby, it is going to be tough for him to get going. I know it was the first game, but that was playoff checking Crosby was facing.

Shero can't assume anything by the regular season this time. He needs to get a puck carrier for Crosby so he has more space when the playoffs come around and teams laser target his ass shift after shift.

Bingo. Having one blunt instrument on Sid's line is fine, but you need another forward to be able to carry the mail from time-to-time under tight checking, otherwise it's blatantly obvious who every play is going to be running through and the opposition can swarm with impunity.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Really because they two most frequent names are Kulimen & Hemsky. Despite the fact that no teams seems any bit interested in trading any of these players.

Comparing Kulemin to Hemsky is laughable and indicative of the fact that if anyone here has a bias when it comes to surnames, then it's you.

Hemsky is a soft, European winger who rarely plays defense and can produce offensively when his head is in the game.

Kulemin is everything we WISH Tangradi could be. Tangradi likes to hit . . . I wish he hit like Kulemin (who's a 6'1, 230 lb brick wall). Kulemin wins board battles, sees the play develop on a level like scoring line personnel, and plays defense in a way that doesn't require a guy like Geno cover all the time like he did for Tangradi.

Even Jiggy, who's as bit a proponent of giving Tangradi a chance will tell you that Kulemin is worth the overpayment it would cost.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
sorry to be late to the party ...

I think what we're seeing is Malkin adjusting his game. Different ice size, different tempo. There's more passing in the KHL, and also he was filling more of a playmaker role for MMg. Add in that he's already shaken off the rust while a lot of the team is in the process of ...

As for +/- ... I'm just glad we won and that we did it in their barn.

Agreed, I do think that he was adjusting offensively.

What I was talking about was the puck management and defensive play. It was as good throughout a game as I've seen since the cup year, before Bylsma beat that out of him. That's what I was referencing with Maurice's influence, that he put a real emphasis on Geno rediscovering his defensive game.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
People talk about overpayment, but isn't a guy who is relatively young, experienced, has produced in the league before, and will probably be a pretty cap friendly cap hit for the next 6-8 years be worth an overpayment? We'd be giving up assets that wouldn't help us as much now, but MAYBE in the future, for a guy who would help now, and in the future, while also filling a gaping hole and putting less pressure on the organization to draft and develop a winger, along with not making the organization play the free agent game to fill a hole.

My opinion is that if a guy is an answer to a problem such as the winger issue we have, you overpay for him and never look back.

I'm not sure if Kulemin is or isn't that guy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Comparing Kulemin to Hemsky is laughable and indicative of the fact that if anyone here has a bias when it comes to surnames, then it's you.

Hemsky is a soft, European winger who rarely plays defense and can produce offensively when his head is in the game.

Kulemin is everything we WISH Tangradi could be. Tangradi likes to hit . . . I wish he hit like Kulemin (who's a 6'1, 230 lb brick wall). Kulemin wins board battles, sees the play develop on a level like scoring line personnel, and plays defense in a way that doesn't require a guy like Geno cover all the time like he did for Tangradi.

Even Jiggy, who's as bit a proponent of giving Tangradi a chance will tell you that Kulemin is worth the overpayment it would cost.

If Nonis was high and took Tangradi for Kumy, I'd drive him to the airport myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad