Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Blues - Rust gets hurt but is replaced by "the next one"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What exactly was Hags elite in this year? Speed?

I loved Hagelin. Notice the -ed there. Lately, he brought just about nothing tangible to the table and that was sad.

Pearson may not bring much either. But that is arguing whether Sheetz or 7-Eleven has better 'food.'

Fore/backcheck, great PK’er. He did a lot for Malkin’s line. Yeah he was struggling to produce but Here are some of Malkin’s stats before and after the trade plus a link to the advanced stats together and apart. The production was still good but he was relying on the PP more and getting lit up at even strength. Hags would have had some influence on that. He goes through droughts on offence but he does a lot well going the other way plus putting pressure on the opposition at both ends of the ice causing turnovers.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Malkin before trade
16 games - 21 points (15 ES), 7G 14A, +/- of -1

Malkin after trade
21 games - 18 points (10 ES), 4G 14A, +/- of -13

Reactions: Peat and Andy99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Murray rounding back into form is the biggest takeaway from these recent games. Murray on his game covers for a lot of the issues with this team's defense.

Also, I swear they keep taking goals and/or points away from Sid. Either that or TSN jump the gun way too often.

First update on TSN had Sid with 1 goal, 3 assists. I watch a bit of the World Juniors and flip back to see he's at 1 goal and 2 assists. A couple of weeks ago they had him as scoring 2 goals. Next time I look he's down to 1 goal and 1 assist.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Fore/backcheck, great PK’er. He did a lot for Malkin’s line. Yeah he was struggling to produce but Here are some of Malkin’s stats before and after the trade plus a link to the advanced stats together and apart. The production was still good but he was relying on the PP more and getting lit up at even strength. Hags would have had some influence on that. He goes through droughts on offence but he does a lot well going the other way plus putting pressure on the opposition at both ends of the ice causing turnovers.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Malkin before trade
16 games - 21 points (15 ES), 7G 14A, +/- of -1

Malkin after trade
21 games - 18 points (10 ES), 4G 14A, +/- of -13

Is there a game by game breakdown, because I am pretty sure that Malkin and his line was DEAD by the time Hags was traded off.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Rust was traded

:sarcasm:
giphy.gif

Reactions: Tom Hanks

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I think Murray rounding back into form is the biggest takeaway from these recent games. Murray on his game covers for a lot of the issues with this team's defense.

Also, I swear they keep taking goals and/or points away from Sid. Either that or TSN jump the gun way too often.

First update on TSN had Sid with 1 goal, 3 assists. I watch a bit of the World Juniors and flip back to see he's at 1 goal and 2 assists. A couple of weeks ago they had him as scoring 2 goals. Next time I look he's down to 1 goal and 1 assist.

UnSecondary Sidney

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
- Some rough turnovers kind of all game, but worst after the 4th goal and the Penguins just showed great interest in letting the Blues back into the game, regardless of surging Blues.

+++Tang, Sid, Riikola
++Murray
+Team

Only issue is has Smitty lost the net without technically losing it? Kind of wrong to have him lose the net because of a back-to-back game. That pisses me off actually.

Another thing pisses me off, Sully saying 'The powerplay is like a cat, you can't train it' Dafuq?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@KIRK Dzingel is just an amazing fit for what we need and he’s a guy that can slot in literally any line. He’s also a UFA so JR isn’t tied to him if he doesn’t work out which I doubt would happen.

If Ottawa wants 2nd + Oleksiak for him, amazing. I’d even do a first if it’s conditional on making the finals.

Edit: I bet we’d get him and the Crusty Sock Gang’s boy Sully would still play ZAR over him.

Reactions: KIRK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Nah.

He came back in the dead puck era with a wonky back at 33 and put up 76 points in 43 games after 3.5 years off the ice. That’s absurd.

A prime Lemieux with good health, that was a fitness freak, that got to use the sticks today... easily 160-180 guy. He was a one of a kind freak of nature with his size and skill.
So was Lindros. Scotty put an end to that size and skill.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Is there a game by game breakdown, because I am pretty sure that Malkin and his line was DEAD by the time Hags was traded off.

There might be. I doubt it would have been more than a few games though and not likely to stay that way. I get the trade and Pearson looks like he will do well here. They are different players though and we lost a guy that’s at the top end in the league at a couple things. In terms of diversity I think we got worse. We still need to make some trades to get the right mix with the wings so we’ll see how it plays out.

I have read Sully didn’t want to lose Hagelin either (through some articles I can’t remember who). Not sure to what extent though.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Hard to read too much into this one other than ++ power play and Murray, we were leading for so long by so much that it’s a bit of a write off.

We seem to be defending a bit higher in the zone which I like a lot.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Crosby would dunk on Howe if he played in the 60s-70s.

Crosby is the best player ever. There I said it.

I say it all the time. Sometimes here, mostly to my friends. Put all the greats into one era, take your pick, I say Sid would smoke them all.
Can't go by points because of different eras, goal pad size, goalie skill, league skill - all vary too much to compare anyone from different eras.

Reactions: PensandCaps

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
I just gotta get this in before the PGT is locked. Brassard is the most uninspiring, uncreative player on this team. I'm so disappointed in what he brings, there isn't one facet of the game he impresses me in. I've been more impressed with Sheahan for stretches when he was the 3C than Brassard. That's pretty sad considering the expectations I had for him.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Eight pages of post game discussion, three of them about Gretzky vs Lemieux and the other five are about loafers.

They're still called loafers? I figured that's a term used by old people to describe their deck shoes or those shoes with the penny on top.

I thought he meant loafers as talking about a bunch of whatever, puff, players loafing about, hahaha.

We are just trying to break the 200 post rule.

Whenever there is a Pens loss, there are about 5000 posts. When there is a win, we never break 200, everyone is too busy smiling like a butcher's dog drinking and eating and celebrating.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I thought he meant loafers as talking about a bunch of whatever, puff, players loafing about, hahaha.

We are just trying to break the 200 post rule.

Whenever there is a Pens loss, there are about 5000 posts. When there is a win, we never break 200, everyone is too busy smiling like a butcher's dog drinking and eating and celebrating.

In fairness, half of those posts in a loss are @KIRK complaining about Sullivan losing Malkin and @ColePens raging over ZAR's ice time. :D

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Lemieux/Gretzky 1A/1B
Orr
Howe
Sid
Jagr
Hasek

That's roughly mine. I think if he stays an ambassador of the game as he is, then he takes that #4 spot. In my GOAT list, I do include some off the ice importance. I know a lot of people vary with me on that. So definitely, in my meaningless opinion - I definitely think he could take #4.

Worth noting that Howe is a legend off the ice too. When he came to my small rural Manitoba town for an autograph signing, he talked to my mom for 15 minutes and wrote me a get well soon note when I missed it with a hangover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad