Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Blues - Rust gets hurt but is replaced by "the next one"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Just be happy with the win, man.

I don't think anyone here all of a sudden considers this team a Cup contender.

It was a great result. But I see a lot of bad stuff out there. While we were scoring PP goals in the 2nd, the Blues dominated play, Murray was huge, and Blues started passing to no one when given glorious opportunities... (see Ryan O'Reilly)

There are positives, but man I don't get get Sheahan, Brass, Pearson. Speaking Pearson, terrible trade. You gave up a guy who had an elite ability for a guy who is meh in nearly everything.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Lemieux/Gretzky 1A/1B
Orr
Howe
Sid
Jagr
Hasek

That's roughly mine. I think if he stays an ambassador of the game as he is, then he takes that #4 spot. In my GOAT list, I do include some off the ice importance. I know a lot of people vary with me on that. So definitely, in my meaningless opinion - I definitely think he could take #4.
I struggle with Orr. I just don’t know how to slot or compare him at all. I agree with 66 and 99 being 1/2. I would argue that outside of MJ, no other players dominated a sport like those two did.

Maybe it’s the era, but Sid never dominated the way those two did. Could he have if he was in that era? I think so, but he wasn’t. Just like 66 could have hung with 99 if it wasn’t for all the physical setbacks. Unfortunately, you have to include that.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jags 6th overall?

I go 1. Lemieux 2. Gretzky 3. Orr 4. Howe 5. Crosby 6. Roy 7. Bourque

I struggle with Roy/Brodeur/Hasek. I almost want to combine them all into one spot and make them share a spot. They all played differently but were the best ever, IMO. Hasek's run of Vezina gives him the slight edge.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I struggle with Roy/Brodeur/Hasek. I almost want to combine them all into one spot and make them share a spot. They all played differently but were the best ever, IMO. Hasek's run of Vezina gives him the slight edge.

I have Roy and Hasek way above Brodeur. He never impressed me.

The HOH is doing a project right now and they have Sid 11th which is impressive given the knowledge on that board.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I don’t even know if I’d have Jagr top ten. Top ten forwards sure.
Jagr is like Marino in football. He was so good, but really didn’t win much of anything. Sure, he got two cups in his first two years, but never when he was the man. I think that matters.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Who made something first is different from violating other's intellectual property. It's should be held sacred because it also protects small companies from the big ones.

That's like someone rationalizing shoplifting steaks from Walmart because they don't like the company. :laugh:

I've derailed enough with my nonsense. :laugh::help:
it's not at all like shoplifting. It's like Hunts making Ketchup even though Heinz already did it. Or the 2nd potato chip company to add BBQ because they realized that people liked it.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Totally agree on this. Brodeur had the best career, Hasek had the dominant run, but put a gun to my head and make me choose, I take Roy.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The thing is, Crosby 1v1 Mario or Wayne....I will say Crosby could win. He has nearly as much offensive talent as them, but his strong defensive skill is way better than either of them.

Sid is so damn strong on the boards and his balance and leg strength is just stupid.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
it's not at all like shoplifting. It's like Hunts making Ketchup even though Heinz already did it. Or the 2nd potato chip company to add BBQ because they realized that people liked it.

Woah. I know the bottle says Ketchup on it, but whatever Hunts makes is NOT similar to the real deal Heinz. Bad example.

hahahahahaha.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
The thing is, Crosby 1v1 Mario or Wayne....I will say Crosby could win. He has nearly as much offensive talent as them, but his strong defensive skill is way better than either of them.

Sid is so damn strong on the boards and his balance and leg strength is just stupid.
Yeah, I don’t think these comparisons can be based on skill. Today’s players would be so dominant. To me it is how dominant they were in their own era and how far did they transcend the game and record books. Winning is also a huge piece.

Reactions: EightyOne

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Lemieux would destroy Crosby one on one.

Wayne’s abilities weren’t one on one. He had the whole ice figured out.

Lemieux is the best one on one player in the history of the game. He can beat you any way he wants. For shits and giggles.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Lemieux was the most incredibly gifted hockey player to ever live with the wingspan of a Quetzalcoatlus.

Crosby is amazing, but he’d have no prayer in hell 1-1 agt a motivated Lemieux. No one did, because he was a freak of nature.

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Mearsy really say “Penguins doing it without Bryan Rust?” That’s a good sign things are happening for this squad.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It was a great result. But I see a lot of bad stuff out there. While we were scoring PP goals in the 2nd, the Blues dominated play, Murray was huge, and Blues started passing to no one when given glorious opportunities... (see Ryan O'Reilly)

There are positives, but man I don't get get Sheahan, Brass, Pearson. Speaking Pearson, terrible trade. You gave up a guy who had an elite ability for a guy who is meh in nearly everything.
Pearson has been better than Hags has been for like a year. He's had two good games in a row too.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I know that right now everything looks and feels good, but ....

zombie-road-sign.jpg

Reactions: Peat

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Lemieux was the most incredibly gifted hockey player to ever live with the wingspan of a Quetzalcoatlus.

Crosby is amazing, but he’d have no prayer in hell 1-1 agt a motivated Lemieux. No one did, because he was a freak of nature.

Imagine modern skates, sticks and a healthy training regimen that wasn't based on lounging on a couch smoking some cigs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Lemieux wasted an NHL goal on proving Mark Madden wrong. That says all he it has to about his ability one on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad