Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens run Wild in the Minnesota Snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
+ Happy the Pens won another one
- Not happy they only played well this week when I wasn't watching

+ Murray playing well enough to give us wins and letting in enough garbage to keep stats down before the big contract ;)

How is McCann doing?

It's hard finding a spot where Hornqvist fits five-on-five.

I've liked him quite a lot on the 3rd line recently. We might struggle to get a 3rd line that takes full advantage of his offensive zone abilities anytime soon, but he is a strong possession player who can go against opposition best and that is a fit. We maybe don't have another one of those atm either that we're not using in the top 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Man, all those posts about how Murray was going to be the stability this team needs in net look kinda silly about now. Dude's just as rollercoaster as MAF. :laugh:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Man, all those posts about how Murray was going to be the stability this team needs in net look kinda silly about now. Dude's just as rollercoaster as MAF. :laugh:

I'm not a huge Murray fanboi, I did hate MAF, but I don't see what you mean.

You talking about the garbage goals when the Pens thought the Wild were just gonna roll over?

Reactions: Vegeta

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm not a huge Murray fanboi, I did hate MAF, but I don't see what you mean.

You talking about the garbage goals when the Pens thought the Wild were just gonna roll over?

Murray's had some real problems with consistency the last few years, and he's looked pretty bad the last 3 games. It's laughable how much some people go out of their way to not see it. Murray's a really great positional goalie, when he plays like that. It's just that he's not been doing that as much lately.

Meh he needs a solid half-decade of games like yesterday in the playoffs for that to ring true.

Well, this team needs to make the playoffs for a half a decade for that have a chance of happening. And as its constructed now, I don't think that's going to happen. :laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm here for more sanity regarding Simon.

It’s just weird on a night the first line looked so good people are mad at Simon.

We all have our whipping boys, but at least wait until the guy has a bad game or something.

I have had to watch ZAR for years get ice time he doesn’t deserve, so I can’t say I feel sorry for the Simon haters when he at least does positive things.

I haven't been able to watch the last couple super closely, but I haven't noticed McCann much. Is he showing anything at C? Still getting acclimated?

Outside of the game Malkin got hurt, he’s been just ok.

He lacks the vision to be a pivot, but hopefully their trust in Lafferty eventually puts these two where their talents are most suited.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Its about timing. Murray played sloppy when we were in 6-2, still won. While MAF seemed to always find the worst time to give up a sloppy goal. Murray is always focused as long as he's needed to be.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
A really pleasant surprise to score so many but let's not get too excited just yet, Dunbyk absolutely fell apart after Horny got under his skin and bizzarrely got 4 minutes for being mugged by the whole Wild team. Nobody can piss off a goalie as often as Horny. Sid is playing out of his mind right now, it's so weird how him and Geno so often manage to find another gear when the one of them is injured. Young players with skills and speed coming from the minors and making an impact? What a novel concept. :)

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
If you think Mark Madden invented or popularized the term vanilla to describe something bland and uninteresting, maybe it's not the alcohol that's the problem. ;) :laugh:

Clearly he didn't invent it, but you will find the penguins board uses the term way more than any other board, because of madden when he started using the term waaay more people started using it.

This is easily verifiable by the search function here. The pens board uses the term 6 times more than the flyers board. Really compare any way you want, the term is beyond overused on our board.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
People arguing for/against Lafferty and Johnson over Simon and ZAR are cute. These are the Pens, at no time will we have under 3 people out with injuries so they're all going to play.

On a serious note, I like Simon as a bottom 6 player, but if he gels well with Sid and Jake and allows us to have a better third line I'd be ok with him there. Still way to early to see how this team shakes out with all the new faces and injuries.

My big question is where are the centers going to shake out. I agree with Jiggy that McCann looks better on the wing, but can spot fill now. So who should get the 3C? Bjugstad? Blueger? McCann? I'd love to see Blueger take a step up and lock it down because it makes Bjugstad movable (which he definitely is) and opens a spot for Lafferty/AJ. Blueger playing like a 3C may be the most important storyline for our forward group this year.

Reactions: Dominance

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Man, this is some disingenuous horse****. :laugh:
It really isn't. Grant Fuhr built a hall of fame career on timely saves. The first goal drastically changes the rest of the game, and as much as I loved MAF, he had a tendency to let in early stinkers that Murray doesnt.

They are two completely different goalies though.

To his credit, MAF could bail out the team by making saves that no goalie should be able to make. The 09 cup run comes to mind, with the OV breakaway in game 7, as well as the final shot by Lidstrom in the final.

Murray on the other hand is very Barrasso like. Solid, and usually makes the saves he has to. He will likely be a fringe top 10 goalie his entire career, steady, but not awe inspiring.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
1. I still want Simon in the lineup. Its hard to find player that make your best players better like he does. If soneone else proves they can do that, then fine. But not until then.

2. Hopefully if he can accrue some more points ZAR can become a new FDA approved sweetener. Lafferty and Johnson are making him look obsolete.

3. Still not sure if im sold on McCann at C. This is his audition to make Bjugstad obsolete but im not seeing it yet.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
It really isn't. Grant Fuhr built a hall of fame career on timely saves. The first goal drastically changes the rest of the game, and as much as I loved MAF, he had a tendency to let in early stinkers that Murray doesnt.

They are two completely different goalies though.

To his credit, MAF could bail out the team by making saves that no goalie should be able to make. The 09 cup run comes to mind, with the OV breakaway in game 7, as well as the final shot by Lidstrom in the final.

Murray on the other hand is very Barrasso like. Solid, and usually makes the saves he has to. He will likely be a fringe top 10 goalie his entire career, steady, but not awe inspiring.
Good analysis.

Reactions: Vegeta

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
1. I still want Simon in the lineup. Its hard to find player that make your best players better like he does. If soneone else proves they can do that, then fine. But not until then.

2. Hopefully if he can accrue some more points ZAR can become a new FDA approved sweetener. Lafferty and Johnson are making him look obsolete.

3. Still not sure if im sold on McCann at C. This is his audition to make Bjugstad obsolete but im not seeing it yet.

I think Bjug should be obsolete regardless....I just don’t see a fit with the way Sully likes to play...yes, he can win some draws and handle some D zone assignments...don’t see much else from him...

same with ZAR...trash heap or nacho immerse both those players when Gally and Rust return and we’ll be fine...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
@Andy99

Tell me more about getting immersed in nachos. This sounds wonderful...does Mario keep an open tab, or do they pay for their own in the press box?

largestnachos1-thumb-640xauto-994744.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
+ Happy the Pens won another one
- Not happy they only played well this week when I wasn't watching

+ Murray playing well enough to give us wins and letting in enough garbage to keep stats down before the big contract ;)

How is McCann doing?

I've liked him quite a lot on the 3rd line recently. We might struggle to get a 3rd line that takes full advantage of his offensive zone abilities anytime soon, but he is a strong possession player who can go against opposition best and that is a fit. We maybe don't have another one of those atm either that we're not using in the top 6.

I posted a few pages back, but he’s playing a quiet, 200 ft game. I’m sure we’d all like more production, but with the way the line-up is I dunno how much that is going to come.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad