Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens/Habs Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don’t recall Price having to make any spectacular saves. He was really solid with positioning and rebound control. We need to get more traffic around the net.

Agreed. Most of the dangerous chances the Pens got, they seemed to shoot wide. Part of that was Price's positioning and making them think they had little to shoot at, but part of that is we seem to have a roster full of players who can't pick the corners and rely on volume shooting and banging in rebounds to score.

With our inability to consistently shoot high and hit the corners, I think Matt Murray would shutout this Pens' team all the time since his one glaring weakness is a spot on the ice 95% of our forwards never shoot at.

Hell Yeah!!!

Mar 11, 2007
ATL
And the Sheary trade is the shit JR does that irritates me. Kahun is a far superior player.
I can’t let that trade go, so horrible. It’s the only thing that really bothers me in terms of JR moves. Even JJ...we didn’t lose an asset and it’s Sully that plays him.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I get blaming JJ and Murray are the cool things to do. But we had 40 shots. 7 pps and 2 goals... 2 goals.. This system sucks. We spent half the PP time struggling to get the puck in the zone. Then when we do. We pass it around the outside and Malkin takes a slapshot from boards or D takes a shot that gets blocked. Nobody in front of Price or in the middle of the ice. Sometimes we get lucky and score and put up 5 or 6 goals and it justifies Sully. It's not consistent winning hockey especially in the playoffs. It hasn't worked since 2016. We won another way in 2017 with worse players but for some reason have spent the whole time since trying to win like 2016?? It's mind boggling.
Exactly my thoughts and so predictable from this board...

The highly paid superstars can’t get pucks in the net, or even hit the net for that matter, but the losses always fall on Murray and JJ.

Look, I’m critical of anyone and everyone who looks like shit and contributes to a loss, but it’s just funny how certain players get a pass while others get shit on night in and night out because it is hip and cool to do.

FFS, Malkin DID look like crap after the initial ass on fire start but many here keep whining because Doucher and Milbury were “picking” on him. Jake looked like shit and continuous got mauled and manhandled. Sheary couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Even Sid couldn’t hit a wide open net. Hell, I forgot that the Pens even had a bottom 6 last night because they were so f***ing invisible.

But yeah, if only we were to remove Murray and Johnson from the equation, the Pens win 6-0 last night...

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Allowing a goal after 2 shots. That petry goal he should have had. He faced at most 10 high danger shots and saved 9. Begs the question which one did they consider high danger.

I also just don't like Murray anymore. He gets far more rope and we have an Allstar goalie that struggled for 2 weeks and they basically bench him for Murray who struggles for f***ing months at a time. I'm f***ing over him and his bullshit.

Let me state it again so you can f***ing get my stance - I don't like Murray. I won't give him praise when I don't think it's earned. I think a coaching staff that has their boy is f***ing dumb as shit, it should be who got you there and not what someone did 2+yrs ago. Murray hasn't been clutch in the playoffs for some time now.

He. Can. Go. f***. Off. Already. You don't bench the goalie that still gave you a fighting f***ing chance when players were dropping like flies for the guy that consistently is inconsistent for the first few months of the last 3 seasons.

The excuses for Murray are way f***ing worse than anything anyone said about Fleury. Big f***ing punk ass bitch baby needed the stars to come in his defense when he earned those bronx cheers.

Does that clear it up for you? Maybe swerve my comments and save me the headache to explain and save you your attempt at changing my opinion.

Dude. Go take a walk or something :laugh:.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If the Pens somehow lose this series, there has to be the we need massive changes as this franchise is no longer a cup contender. But that is a pipe dream. Pens losing playoff games now and Sully has to know everything is on the table if that continues. Hopefully Poulin adds some size to the forward group next year and find takers for Bjugstad, JJ and Murray.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Looking back at the best stretch pens have had this year, I'm noticing the following trends.

-Jarry in goal. I do think this team just looks more solid and less scrambly with him in net.

-Riikola and Ruhwedel playing. Dumoulin out. Not suggesting to sit dumoulin but he's been subpar since his return and logs major minutes. Needs to be better. Schultz and JJ preferably sit.

-Simon, Kahun, and Lafferty in the lineup. None of these guys are saviors but they can skate and imo fit this team better than guys like Marleau and ZAR. And we got gipped on the Kahun-Sheary trade. Kahun was never given important minutes and was still capable of creating on his own.

Biggest takeaway is the team needs to get away from the slow lumbering players asap.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Dumo is fine, but I just don’t understand why he gets a pass always around here despite being a mess regularly over the last two years.

Dumo noticeably sucked yesterday. Flailing everywhere and making bad decisions. Marino and Letang were the only pens Dmen to get a passing grade yesterday.

Reactions: dogthateats

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Looking back at the best stretch pens have had this year, I'm noticing the following trends.

-Jarry in goal. I do think this team just looks more solid and less scrambly with him in net.

-Riikola and Ruhwedel playing. Dumoulin out. Not suggesting to sit dumoulin but he's been subpar since his return and logs major minutes. Needs to be better. Schultz and JJ preferably sit.

-Simon, Kahun, and Lafferty in the lineup. None of these guys are saviors but they can skate and imo fit this team better than guys like Marleau and ZAR. And we got gipped on the Kahun-Sheary trade. Kahun was never given important minutes and was still capable of creating on his own.

Biggest takeaway is the team needs to get away from the slow lumbering players asap.

Anyone suggesting to sit Dumoulin is ridiculous.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Anyone suggesting to sit Dumoulin is ridiculous.

Yeah, as bad as Dumo was yesterday he was still our best LD. Which is...not exactly a good thing.

Riikola should be playing, though. Over either MP or JJ but preferably JJ. Frankly trying Riikola on PP1 couldn't hurt. He has a better point shot than Geno.

Reactions: canadianguy77

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Not suggesting that at all. But his level of play pre-injury was significantly higher than now. And with such a poor bottom pairing pens need the top 4 to be stellar.

Well if you need the top 4 to be stellar. Removing Dumoulin and playing JJ in the top 4, certainly isn't gonna help.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Yeah, as bad as Dumo was yesterday he was still our best LD. Which is...not exactly a good thing.

Riikola should be playing, though. Over either MP or JJ but preferably JJ. Frankly trying Riikola on PP1 couldn't hurt. He has a better point shot than Geno.

lol Riikola certainly should not be playing over MP.

over Johnson, sure. Riikola isn't near the complete Dman Pets is.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I really don't understand how Pettersson has fallen this far in this forum's eyes. Dude looks great last night and people are out here basically saying he sucks.

Actually, never mind this is the forum that thinks Letang has lost us playoff series lol.
MP was very solid, hardly noticed him (which is good). One of the last people I would criticize after last night.

Reactions: ncm7772 and Ryder71

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really don't understand how Pettersson has fallen this far in this forum's eyes. Dude looks great last night and people are out here basically saying he sucks.

Actually, never mind this is the forum that thinks Letang has lost us playoff series lol.

I think this forum is incredibly bad at evaluating defensive defensemen. Skill and speed are easy to see, smarts and positioning aren't as easy to see.

It's why this board loves Riikola even though his actual results have been bad. He skates well and has some talent, so people just assume he's good even though he's not.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think this forum is incredibly bad at evaluating defensive defensemen. Skill and speed are easy to see, smarts and positioning aren't as easy to see.

It's why this board loves Riikola even though his actual results have been bad. He skates well and has some talent, so people just assume he's good even though he's not.

I mean, I think you could argue Petts was our best "offensive" defenseman last night given his stats.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I thought MP was actually pretty good last night. There were far worse performances on our blue line for sure!

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
2017 cannot be replicated ...that was all based on an incredible shooting %...we counterpunched and had an incredible rate of finishing...otherwise we wouldn’t have that Cup

I disagree. Last night was a perfect example. Countering leads to better quality chances. We dominated for 2/3rds the game and 40 shots. But I think they had more quality chances, odd man rushes etc.

If we actually got some solid defensmen instead of these offensive d. That never score and can't even hit the net from 5 feet away. Think about the d-men they did it with in 2017. If they got some slightly better versions of those players. They would be unstoppable. That's why I say we'd have way more Cups without Letang.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Because you say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad