Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens/Habs Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Riikola sucks because he regularly makes dumb plays defensively and gives bad results when he's not getting insanely sheltered minutes.

Riikola has the same problem that Johnson has: he can't process the game at NHL speeds
You are single handedly overstating how “bad” Riikola is and at the same time severely downplaying how awful Jack Johnson is... wow. Impressive.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Riikola sucks because he regularly makes dumb plays defensively and gives bad results when he's not getting insanely sheltered minutes.

Riikola has the same problem that Johnson has: he can't process the game at NHL speeds

And yet Riikola provides way more offense than JJ does. So if you have two defensemen that are going to make dumb plays, you might as well play the one that adds something instead of the one that's a constant black hole. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And yet Riikola provides way more offense than JJ does. So if you have two defensemen that are going to make dumb plays, you might as well play the one that adds something instead of the one that's a constant black hole. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Riikola: 1 goal and 7 points in 36 games
Johnson: 3 goals and 11 points in 67 games

This also has nothing to do with JJ or Riikola, it has to do with Riikola being bad. This place just overrates the hell out of him because he skates well and has a hard shot, even though his actual results through 2 seasons have been awful. If you're talking about JJ or Riikola, you pick neither and go with Ruhwedel on LD.

Reactions: ncm7772

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
All this analysis all these breakdowns. Here is the answer people. We are old......

Father Time waits for nobody

This would make sense if the problems were the older players. But they aren’t. Except Marleau, he’s useless. And Johnson has always been.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I disagree. Last night was a perfect example. Countering leads to better quality chances. We dominated for 2/3rds the game and 40 shots. But I think they had more quality chances, odd man rushes etc.

If we actually got some solid defensmen instead of these offensive d. That never score and can't even hit the net from 5 feet away. Think about the d-men they did it with in 2017. If they got some slightly better versions of those players. They would be unstoppable. That's why I say we'd have way more Cups without Letang.

lol shutup

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Looking back at the best stretch pens have had this year, I'm noticing the following trends.

-Jarry in goal. I do think this team just looks more solid and less scrambly with him in net.

-Riikola and Ruhwedel playing. Dumoulin out. Not suggesting to sit dumoulin but he's been subpar since his return and logs major minutes. Needs to be better. Schultz and JJ preferably sit.

-Simon, Kahun, and Lafferty in the lineup. None of these guys are saviors but they can skate and imo fit this team better than guys like Marleau and ZAR. And we got gipped on the Kahun-Sheary trade. Kahun was never given important minutes and was still capable of creating on his own.

Biggest takeaway is the team needs to get away from the slow lumbering players asap.

Kahun made the mistake of saying he didn't like the penguins system.

Anyone who speaks against Sully 'the god' gets gone.

****ing sheary for kahun...

A nightmare you can't wake from and are forced to live through.

I gotta say though... I agree with Kahun.
This system sucks. I fear we may get stuck with it until the 87 jersey gets hoisted into the rafters.

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010

This also has nothing to do with JJ or Riikola, it has to do with Riikola being bad. This place just overrates the hell out of him because he skates well and has a hard shot, even though his actual results through 2 seasons have been awful. If you're talking about JJ or Riikola, you pick neither and go with Ruhwedel on LD.

And yet every analytics on earth disagree with you. Not to mention, how many of those games was when they forced Riikola to play wing.

You are so wrong it hurts man. Even your example is against you. 7 points in 36 games is .194 ppg. 11 in 67 is 0.164 ppg. You just proved that Riikola provides more offence.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
And yet every analytics on earth disagree with you. Not to mention, how many of those games was when they forced Riikola to play wing.

You are so wrong it hurts man. Even your example is against you. 7 points in 36 games is .194 ppg. 11 in 67 is 0.164 ppg. You just proved that Riikola provides more offence.

Not to mention he said:
" If you're talking about JJ or Riikola, you pick neither and go with Ruhwedel on LD."

Ruh plays RD.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Why don't you go look at his analytics last year? When he wasn't getting baby minutes. Spoiler alert, they were garbage.

Oh wow, the difference of a 0.03 PPG. That's such a massive offensive difference, like you said, "Riikola provides way more offense". You are aware that the difference between the two is the equivalent of 2.5 points over an entire season? Riikola's pace over Johnson's games played is 13 points. We're talking about a 2 point difference here, it's a marginal offensive difference. How do you think that helps your case?

The only person "so wrong" here is you. Riikola is a bad defenseman that's either going to be out of the NHL or a #7 on a different team next year. He's an offensive defenseman that can't produce and regularly makes stupid as hell defensive decisions. He has the same hockey IQ as Johnson, he just skates better and shoots harder than him. The only person wrong here is you, because you think a crappy fringe NHL/AHL defenseman is good.

Not to mention he said:
" If you're talking about JJ or Riikola, you pick neither and go with Ruhwedel on LD."

Ruh plays RD.

Or maybe that both are such bad options that playing Ruh on his off-side is more attractive than playing either of them.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Why don't you go look at his analytics last year? When he wasn't getting baby minutes. Spoiler alert, they were garbage.

Oh wow, the difference of a 0.03 PPG. That's such a massive offensive difference, like you said, "Riikola provides way more offense". You are aware that the difference between the two is the equivalent of 2.5 points over an entire season? Riikola's pace over Johnson's games played is 13 points. We're talking about a 2 point difference here.

The only person "so wrong" here is you. Riikola is a bad defenseman that's either going to be out of the NHL or a #7 on a different team next year. He's an offensive defenseman that can't produce and regularly makes stupid as hell defensive decisions. He has the same hockey IQ as Johnson, he just skates better and shoots harder than him. The only person wrong here is you, because you think a crappy fringe NHL/AHL defenseman is good.

Or maybe that both are such bad options that playing Ruh on his off-side is more attractive than playing either of them.

You know playing on an off side is very difficult... ya?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You know playing on an off side is very difficult... ya?

Yes. And Johnson and Riikola are so bad that I'd rather see how Ruhwedel does on his off-side. Because Johnson and Riikola both stink.

I would rather gamble that Ruhwedel can be competent on his off-side over playing either of those 2 bad defensemen. With Ruhwedel, there's a chance he can be serviceable for you. Riikola and Johnson are guaranteed to not be serviceable.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

This place overrates him because he is not JJ.

Being able to skate well and having a good shot are also things that JJ can’t do.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just read the whole thread. Seeing people unravel is entertaining.

Don't just comment on it... get involved.

I came unraveled when I looked my betting history.

Member:LOGiK
Total Wagers:10
Wagers Won:1
Wagers Lost:8
Wagers Pushed:0
Total Staked:$1,605,000
Total Winnings:$75,000
Total Lost:-$1,505,000

Every bet was for a penguins win.

Except I have 50k riding on CBJ tonight.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
lol shutup

If Letang was half as good as some of you on here think he is. Pens should easily have 5-6 Cups by now. Two generational talents at center. One guy considered the best in the league majority of his career. The other Top 5-10. What other team has had this?? Always had elite scorers surrounded by them too. Fleury and Letang cost them Championships and weren't as good as fans wish they were. Won a cup without both of them too. No coincidence.

Reactions: ncm7772

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Being able to skate well and having a good shot are also things that JJ can’t do.

Well... Rii gets a few games to play and the first **** up he gets benched. Not really ideal for the kid (guy) to be playing on edge in his mind knowing these guys get continuous passes and his first folly he's sipping ****ing fiji in the press box.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think you're right, but I still think people should realize he's not actually a good defenseman and is only a better option than JJ.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well... Rii gets a few games to play and the first **** up he gets benched. Not really ideal for the kid (guy) to be playing on edge in his mind knowing these guys get continuous passes and his first folly he's sipping ****ing fiji in the press box.

Maybe he shouldn't be making really stupid plays to get benched, then. He's a soon to be 27 year old defenseman that has shown nothing in the NHL, what has he done to warrant more rope than what the coaching staff has already given him?

The love that Riikola gets among Penguins fans doesn't seem logical to me at all. He's a depth defenseman that the coaching staff doesn't trust due to his regular mistakes. He has never shown to be an effective defenseman in the NHL. I know a lot of the love is "he's not Jack Johnson", but he himself isn't a good player. He has never shown anything in NHL usage to suggest that he's an effective player. So like I said, I'd much rather see if Ruhwedel can play LD over seeing if Riikola can give okay results while getting NHL caliber matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad