Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens duck another loss!

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
If Crosby keeps a 90-100 pts pace for the whole season and if they are making the playoffs, I see a Hart at the end of the season.

McDavid is going to score 120+ and Edmonton will be in the playoffs IMO. He'll win the Hart.

And I'm fine with that. I'd rather see Sid get a Selke (if we're talking regular season accolades go) and of course a 4th Cup.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Huuuuge win. But its not gonna be easy going forward when only 2 of the players can actually score a goal. And Simon definitely is not one of them.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Team was playing hard, fast, and responsible. Always had a F covering. A lot of back pressure, forced turnovers, and fast ups, like the 2016 team. The speed and added puck moving was evident, even though AJ and Agz might as well have watched from the press box. Not happy about that.

Absolutely must play those guys more or the team will be absolutely exhausted.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It wasn't all Marino, of course, but isn't it amazing how much easier it is to move the puck through the neutral zone when you have a 2nd defenseman who will skate the puck to pressure?

That said, how soon before he's scratched for Guds? :laugh:

EDIT: Gotta add this here. As I mentioned in the GDT, it's nice to have guys like him and Lafferty in there. When Sully came up, some of the kids came with him. They added energy and enthusiasm to the cup runs. It's been missing the last 2 years, and I think that's part of the reason this has felt a little stale. Not unlike what happened after 2009. I just hope that lightbulb has gone off for Sully and JR (I have my doubts about Sully, and I'm full of them with JR).

Like I said in the GDT, I just honestly don't see it. I don't think the Penguins were ever as high on Gudbranson as people here thought they were, but I know they're insanely high on Marino. I think they'd do Gudbranson for an expensive depth forward without hesitation at this point, even if JR feels uncomfortable losing his tough guy.

I honestly think they only acquired Gudbranson because of the injuries to Letang and Dumoulin last year, and didn't try to move him in the off-season because of how solid he was for the Penguins last year.

Reactions: KIRK

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
One thing Caufield mentioned on post game is that in Olympic/World Cup Gibson is most likely the starting Goalie for USA. Pittsburgh kid, ALL the more reason to root for him.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I like to poke fun at Caufield, but he made some solid points post-game.

No injury excuses, no BS— just simply pointed out that the buy-in, forechecking, hard work stuff is all great but they have to get offense from non-Crosby entities if they wanna go toe to toe with the top teams.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you are Anaheim... your scouting report goes like this:

1) STOP CROSBY.
2) Shoot high glove Muzz. :sarcasm:
3) LOL PENS INJURIES
4) STOP SIDNEY CROSBY. DO NOT LET HIM BEAT YOU.
5) SERIOUSLY... STOP 87.

And Sid still dominated the game and led us to victory.
81q2fq4i10h01.gif

You forgot stop Jake the snake.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Really liking what Marino brings to the D core.

Also can get behind Lafferty.

ZAR.... Ha!!!Hu!!! Good God Yall, what is he good for?? absolutely nothing, sing it again.

Reactions: Dominance

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Kahun needed to play like he did tonight. He needs to score soon though.

Love what Tanev is doing without the puck, he also needs to produce. It’s 4 games but he’s on pace for 20 points.
There should be a moratorium on "pace" talk until we're like 10 games in at least. Crosby isn't going to hit 120, but thats his "pace."

That said, put him with Jake and Sid and he likely has a handful of points already.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Like I said in the GDT, I just honestly don't see it. I don't think the Penguins were ever as high on Gudbranson as people here thought they were, but I know they're insanely high on Marino. I think they'd do Gudbranson for an expensive depth forward without hesitation at this point, even if JR feels uncomfortable losing his tough guy.

I honestly think they only acquired Gudbranson because of the injuries to Letang and Dumoulin last year, and didn't try to move him in the off-season because of how solid he was for the Penguins last year.

I mean Rutherford literally said they wanted Gudbranson for years.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
One thing Caufield mentioned on post game is that in Olympic/World Cup Gibson is most likely the starting Goalie for USA. Pittsburgh kid, ALL the more reason to root for him.
I'll never root for him, but this guy might be the best goaltender I've seen since Hasek.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Kahun needed to play like he did tonight. He needs to score soon though.

Love what Tanev is doing without the puck, he also needs to produce. It’s 4 games but he’s on pace for 20 points.
Why does that even matter? He is doing his job damn well. Really don’t care how many points he gets.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Team was playing hard, fast, and responsible. Always had a F covering. A lot of back pressure, forced turnovers, and fast ups, like the 2016 team. The speed and added puck moving was evident, even though AJ and Agz might as well have watched from the press box. Not happy about that.

Absolutely must play those guys more or the team will be absolutely exhausted.

I’m pretty sure AJ sat because of the dirty hit.

AGZ is a whole lot of wishing he was Chris Bourque. Don’t care if he ever plays TBTH.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
There should be a moratorium on "pace" talk until we're like 10 games in at least. Crosby isn't going to hit 120, but thats his "pace."

That said, put him with Jake and Sid and he likely has a handful of points already.

The worry should be how worn out he'll be when it comes time for guys to get back and towards the end of the season carrying the load for so long at his age.

They need more from others and I don't want to beat a horse upon who.

Reactions: Andy99

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Well, the whole argument of Tanev is he would produce without Sid and Geno unlike Rust I thought?
Let go of your personal attachement to players for once and root for what might be best for the team.

I have zero idea where Rust even enters into the conversation because he isn't on the ice right now. Simon and Tanev are. I personally think Tanev would be a better fit there.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad