Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens duck another loss!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Very good game all around. I think the most encouraging things today are:

1. Kahun looked great
2. All of the defense pairs looked good, I honestly think this D lineup is the best D lineup they can make right now
3. McCann still looks like he can be a full-time center

When you've finally got a defensive partner in Marino who makes Jack Johnson look serviceable . . . yes, it's the best D you can make right now. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah we need to see more of McCann. He had that 3 point game and thats it so far. He did that a few times last year.

I'm not really complaining but it seems like 3 or 4 guys and a bunch of warm bodies. But like someone said earlier that's the kind of hockey you have to play until you get healthy.

I mean... if you are of the opinion that Malkin is going to put them over the top this year. I am leaning towards "nah."

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
prefer a 2-1 win vs the ducks over a 7-2 or whatever win vs CBJ. Was starting to wonder if Sully/The Pens were capable of playing anything resembling NHL defense/structure
Still wondering that. Sid pretty much single-handedly winning us a game doesn't have me convinced yet.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
+++ Crosby. GOAT. Nuff said.

++ Marino. A lot of good, some bad. But making JJ look... somewhat effective? Rockstar shit.

+ Lafferty. If it looks like an NHLer, smells like an NHLer, and plays like an NHLer, it may be an NHLer. Rust 2.0?

+ Kahun. Much better.

- Letang. Not nearly as bad as previous games, but we need more from him. Yes he’s older, yes it’s a lot of responsibility on his shoulders, yes it’s unfair, but with how poorly this D is constructed he’s held to a higher standard and has gotta be lights out for us to go anywhere. Just the way it is.

- PP. gotta figure it out. Gonna need to make special teams count to weather these injuries.

- Petts. Nothing majorly bad, but he’s not playing like he was last year. Expected a bit more from him.

- ZAR. I’ve tried to defend him in the past, but man he’s snowballed a terrible preseason into a terrible start. Doesn’t deserve a jersey when guys start getting healthy.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
If Crosby keeps a 90-100 pts pace for the whole season and if they are making the playoffs, I see a Hart at the end of the season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
they didn't look totally inept through the neutral and D zone, though

It wasn't all Marino, of course, but isn't it amazing how much easier it is to move the puck through the neutral zone when you have a 2nd defenseman who will skate the puck to pressure?

That said, how soon before he's scratched for Guds? :laugh:

EDIT: Gotta add this here. As I mentioned in the GDT, it's nice to have guys like him and Lafferty in there. When Sully came up, some of the kids came with him. They added energy and enthusiasm to the cup runs. It's been missing the last 2 years, and I think that's part of the reason this has felt a little stale. Not unlike what happened after 2009. I just hope that lightbulb has gone off for Sully and JR (I have my doubts about Sully, and I'm full of them with JR).

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
they didn't look totally inept through the neutral and D zone, though
I think a huge part of that was Marino tonight. I hope it keeps up, but it could just be the "first few games" adrenaline thing. Jesse's been going on about Marino's ability to break things up at the blueline when the opposing team is trying to break into the zone, as well as his ability to skate doing wonders for our ability to move pucks out of danger and deal with the forecheck.

Still not convinced this team turned a corner or anything tonight, but small steps.

Now, Marino's just gonna get benched for Guds next game anyway--cuz vets.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Good win,

meh game,

I was hoping to see a young forward pop. Other than the Kahun breakaway, nothing stood out other than Marino's solid play on D.

Sully still hamstrings his team, but I'm sure the media will lavish him with praise for the win.

He benched a big contract for Marino, played both he and Lafferty on the PK, and most importantly had them out there for important situations late in the third protecting a one goal lead.

Not sure how Sullivan did anything wrong.

Team played disciplined hockey and he gave young guys important minutes.

Isn’t this what people want?

Only dumb shit he did was not lock ZAR in the bathroom at intermission.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad