Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Gudbranson and JJ are actually good

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The non-offside call was the definition of a homer call or that mixed in with the clear stripes/league mandate to punish PIT/Sully for ripping into their guy(s).

It was a clear "putting the puck into this open space so i can potentially get it" pass to himself. Thats not control.
It is what it was. Take the L and move on.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If you watched every team in the league as regularly as the Pens, I'm sure you could point out bad goals that all goalies give up at a similar rate.

The difference is most of those teams aren't complete train wrecks defensively like the Pens are, so they can cover for their goalie when he's having an average night. If Murray/DeSmith isn't at the top of their game, 99% chance the Pens lose. Example: Martin Jones has been way, way worse than Murray this year yet his team is battling for first in their division because the team can pick him up when he's having an off night. Murray has an off night, the Pens get curb stomped.

I do watch a lot of games.

The goalies who give up bad goals routinely are usually the teams that are out of the playoffs.

Very few teams in this league can compensate for bad goaltending.

You might have 5 or 6 teams who can do that.

The Pens are in the same boat as the other 25 teams in the league that can't afford bad goaltending.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
Everyone who is still bashing on JJ should probably open their eyes a bit. And I guess Guds is still playing for Vancouver apparently with reactions on him too. This is the song that never ends. This is the song that never ends...blah blah blah.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Everyone who is still bashing on JJ should probably open their eyes a bit. And I guess Guds is still playing for Vancouver apparently with reactions on him too. This is the song that never ends. This is the song that never ends...blah blah blah.
JJ has been pretty awful more often than good. So he's earned his shit this season so far for us. Guds is new. He's had a solid game. Canucks are still sheltering the f*** out of Pooliot, they're not ones to talk.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Refs were bad for both sides. The Pens closed their hands on the puck in the crease at least twice during that one scrum. No calls... Offside was clear as day.

The Pens lost because of poor and selfish play. No excuses.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Refs were bad for both sides. The Pens closed their hands on the puck in the crease at least twice during that one scrum. No calls... Offside was clear as day.

The Pens lost because of poor and selfish play. No excuses.
No he didn't. Petts pushed it and another player put his forearm on in.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It is interesting. So if Geno and Kessel don’t score and commit dozens of turnovers - it’s somehow JR’s fault, right?
I look at Trotz and the job he's doing with much less talent and I find it hard to always blame JR. JR has his faults and has earned his blame, for sure, but this notion that "Poor Sully" and this roster is one of the most f***ing stupid things on this board right now.

The same guys can't see the parallels of Bylsma and verbal diarrhoea out the 2 cups as proof he's not the same.

Reactions: Angrrus

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I don't mind retaining the first round pick given how we've looked this year. I'm not convinced dealing that first would have solved our problems. We're not a player away from being a Cup contender I don't think.

I'm fine with keeping the first and doing some extensive restructuring this off season. Hopefully that includes fixing our blueline.

You say we are more than a player away from being Cup contenders and I say we have all the players needed but they have to play to potential.
We are easily Cup contenders if we get in the playoffs. It is all up to Murray. If Murray plays like he did during his first two 2 years in the playoffs we can beat any team. Just like when Murray had a stretch this season when he was on his game and literally could not be beat. Even with Murray being outplayed last year against the Caps we still lost several one goal games and lost in OT in game 6 to the eventual Cup Champs. How is that not a Cup contender? So if Murray gets back to form we ease into the playoffs and will be a contender. If he lets in soft ones like in Philly and last night then this team will have its work cut out for them to make the playoffs.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
JJ has been pretty awful more often than good. So he's earned his **** this season so far for us. Guds is new. He's had a solid game. Canucks are still sheltering the **** out of Pooliot, they're not ones to talk.
JJ started off terribly, but since being paired with Schultz he does not imo deserve the hate. Guy came to a brand new team, learning a new system, playing on his off side, and since 25 games in is actually a plus player. Ppl just keep beating the same horse because of his past. Do I want him for five years, not really, but he’s at 3.75 (I think) cap hit and is currently holding down top line minutes pretty well. Give the guy a break is all I’m saying. Everyone just reads an article, or looks at Adv stats and says welp that’s that, this guy is trash and can do no good for our team. Despite massive improvements from the start of the season, and pretty solid play as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia