Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 - The Murray and Sid show!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Interesting note to point out: despite their struggles with actually producing, the Penguins have far away the highest xGF/60 of any team in the playoffs so far in all situations and 2nd highest at 5v5. Based on their shot locations and totals, they should be at about 5 goals a game in the playoffs so far (9.95 xGF). Price is just stonewalling them and the Penguins aren't finishing.

So yeah, I'm not getting the doom and gloom. When the Penguins are playing up against a team that isn't trapping and doesn't have a rested Price, they're going to be producing a lot more than they are now.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Feels like this was the game the habs had to steal. Honestly I feel like a good old fashion ass kicking coming in game three. I just dont see the pens losing again

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
It still bothers me that Sheary has gotten shit in this round, with me seeing a lot of "the trade was a mistake", "Sheary sucks" or "bench Sheary" posts. He's generating a ton of chances right now, which is way more than you can say about the majority of this lineup. The production is also good too.

I think people have just made up their mind with him, so they'll complain about him regardless. In reality, he's probably been one of their 3 best forwards in the playoffs so far.

I didn't like Sheary in Game 1 , but he did draw a PS (which is something)

In Game 2 he absolutely responsible for 2 goals.
Goal #1 if he doesn't make that center drive and create that gap, the lane for Sid to fly down isn't there
Goal #2, that was a sneaky little chip with the puck to get it past the dman and to sprint up ice. And he was patient with his pass to Zucker putting it between the defender's stick and skate. That's not easy to do. Horny can't make any of those plays

Credit to MM. Again Sully is the goalie whisperer and picks the right guy for the right game. MM likely knew he had a short leash and shut the door.

And I always say: it's not QUANTITY of saves you make but the quality. 1-0 game and he makes a 10 bell save to start the 3rd. If he doesn't deny that goal the team is absolutely deflated because they know they're in for a very long night

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I didn't like Sheary in Game 1 , but he did draw a PS (which is something)

In Game 2 he absolutely responsible for 2 goals.
Goal #1 if he doesn't make that center drive and create that gap, the lane for Sid to fly down isn't there
Goal #2, that was a sneaky little chip with the puck to get it past the dman and to sprint up ice. And he was patient with his pass to Zucker putting it between the defender's stick and skate. That's not easy to do. Horny can't make any of those plays

Credit to MM. Again Sully is the goalie whisperer and picks the right guy for the right game. MM likely knew he had a short leash and shut the door.

And I always say: it's not QUANTITY of saves you make but the quality. 1-0 game and he makes a 10 bell save to start the 3rd. If he doesn't deny that goal the team is absolutely deflated because they know they're in for a very long night

I thought Sheary was at least fine in Game 1. He drew the PS like you mentioned and he generated a couple of more chances, and more importantly the line wasn't bad defensively (which was a concern with the line in the past).

If you include the Flyers game, Sheary has a goal and 3 points in 3 games while having an on-ice goal differential of 4-0 and great analytics each game (57.38%, 62.3% and 67.73% xGF% in his 3 games). That line has been great defensively and has been basically the only line producing at 5v5. If Sheary continues playing like this, I think he's definitely a guy you re-sign, especially if the Penguins keep having problems with their bottom-6 producing.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I can’t find anything showing save% where goalies get beat (glove side, etc.). I remember someone saying Mirray is above avg. in sv% glove side. Can someone show a chart on this? Thanks!

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I thought Sheary was at least fine in Game 1. He drew the PS like you mentioned and he generated a couple of more chances, and more importantly the line wasn't bad defensively (which was a concern with the line in the past).

If you include the Flyers game, Sheary has a goal and 3 points in 3 games while having an on-ice goal differential of 4-0 and great analytics each game (57.38%, 62.3% and 67.73% xGF% in his 3 games). That line has been great defensively and has been basically the only line producing at 5v5. If Sheary continues playing like this, I think he's definitely a guy you re-sign, especially if the Penguins keep having problems with their bottom-6 producing.

Re signing him is another debate altogether

Also good to see Horny back on the PP. They made Price at least work for his saves- lots of scramble situations that Horny caused. Didn't finish but it was a slight improvement
As someone else mentioned if this PP was half decent this series is over in 2 gamess

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Re signing him is another debate altogether

Also good to see Horny back on the PP. They made Price at least work for his saves- lots of scramble situations that Horny caused. Didn't finish but it was a slight improvement
As someone else mentioned if this PP was half decent this series is over in 2 gamess

Whether you re-sign Sheary or not depends entirely on how he performs in the playoffs. If he continues playing like this, I don't see a legitimate argument against re-signing him. You're not going to get better than what Sheary has provided for what Sheary is going to cost. The only argument against re-signing him if he continues playing like this is not having the money to re-sign him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Shot-blocking is something I haven't thought about but that 2016 was a machine at getting into lanes and stopping shots. Even Rust used to be great at it. Do we not have the players anymore or is that a coaching decision, to prevent injuries? Would certainly help the goaltenders out.

This is massively something I want to talk about but to be fair if you look at the "stat" it doesn't show the story in the way I believe it should. It's getting into lanes and forcing passes when they are now shots. I honestly feel teh 2016 and 2017 Pens were the absolute best at getting in lanes. Massive props to Bones and Cole. They were SO GOOD at it.

To me it comes to that sacrifice. It's a natural human thing when you won the Cups to not have that built in desperation. I feel this team doesn't have that natural desperation. That will to just want to jump in front of a shot and not care because they want a Cup so bad. The only guy I see doing it is Hornqvist. I would be shocked if McCann had 3 blocked shots all season :laugh:. Bones/Cole used to front face and almost play goalie. Horny is the only guy who lays out like a madman.

Reactions: Andy99

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
This is massively something I want to talk about but to be fair if you look at the "stat" it doesn't show the story in the way I believe it should. It's getting into lanes and forcing passes when they are now shots. I honestly feel teh 2016 and 2017 Pens were the absolute best at getting in lanes. Massive props to Bones and Cole. They were SO GOOD at it.

To me it comes to that sacrifice. It's a natural human thing when you won the Cups to not have that built in desperation. I feel this team doesn't have that natural desperation. That will to just want to jump in front of a shot and not care because they want a Cup so bad. The only guy I see doing it is Hornqvist. I would be shocked if McCann had 3 blocked shots all season :laugh:. Bones/Cole used to front face and almost play goalie. Horny is the only guy who lays out like a madman.

Regarding shot blocking...

In talks on this board and on the Edmonton board, there was interest in a Bjugstad and Kris Russell swap. Apparently shot blocking is something that Kris Rusell excels at.

Reactions: ColePens

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
The big question for me now is what Montreal does about Pittsburgh controlling 60%+ of the quality chances and shots in these games. Price aside, that's an extremely difficult way to make a living, especially if Murray is going to continue to play like this. These are lopsided hockey games at 5v5.

Reactions: Lustaf

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Interesting note to point out: despite their struggles with actually producing, the Penguins have far away the highest xGF/60 of any team in the playoffs so far in all situations and 2nd highest at 5v5. Based on their shot locations and totals, they should be at about 5 goals a game in the playoffs so far (9.95 xGF). Price is just stonewalling them and the Penguins aren't finishing.

So yeah, I'm not getting the doom and gloom. When the Penguins are playing up against a team that isn't trapping and doesn't have a rested Price, they're going to be producing a lot more than they are now.

which is why i think we would fare well vs a Philly or Tampa team

Reactions: Empoleon8771

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
The big question for me now is what Montreal does about Pittsburgh controlling 60%+ of the quality chances and shots in these games. Price aside, that's an extremely difficult way to make a living, especially if Murray is going to continue to play like this. These are lopsided hockey games at 5v5.

But until the Pens start making Montreal pay by hooking and holding them since they can't keep up. The Habs will continue to be able to keep the games close

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Well, they get last change next two games, maybe they can pick on JJ/Schultz

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
But until the Pens start making Montreal pay by hooking and holding them since they can't keep up. The Habs will continue to be able to keep the games close
Absolutely.

If the PP could actually produce it would stop the Habs from all the clutching and grabbing and essentially make it even more lopsided at 5v5. But when the PP isn’t producing, what incentive do the Habs have to stop?

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

lordstanley91

Jan 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
++++ Sid was the best player on the ice. Period. He stepped it up in a big way. And sometimes I wonder if it's only him.

++++ Murray made key saves when he needed to. This dude hasn't been 100% the same since his dad died but if any game reminded me of 2016 and 2017... it was tonight. He did what he had to and i felt comfortable. I can't tell you how proud of him I am. I know i'm a Murray mark but man.. the dude needed this. I am so happy for #30. I hope his father is out there smiling.

++ Marino isn't human. He's so calm. He reads plays so well. He has ice running through his veins. It's insane. He is so good. I cannot even imagine what our defense looks like without him.

+ Horny/Marleau: I liked their game! I thought Patty looked good and I love horny. So much. He is the jam this team desperately needs. Can you seriously imagine this team w/o Horny?

+/= Zucker: I said all game I thought he was good. Then he scored so he deserved the exta. He just needs to put it all together. He just has some shifts where he turns it over or doesn't look comfortable.

+/= Team defense: Have to admit... we had great back tracking today.

-------- Powerplay: Single handed left Montreal in this game. PP1 is 0/12. We have 1 PPG and it was the 2nd group. Embarrassing stuff by that group. TWO 5 on 3s. Terrible. Terrible. Letang and Geno have to be better. You CANNOT win a series without special teams. You cannot. You leave the door open time and time again.

---- McCann't: He can't do anything. He's playing AHL level hockey. I don't get it. He disappears like a ghost when he plays poorly.

- Tanev/Blueger/ZAR/JJ/Schultz all need to pick it up. And Sheary is really bad. He has disappeared many times in the playoffs and he's doing his best act.

- Sense of urgency and execution: Not putting away games is sad. This team used to not stop annoying teams until they scored and skated by everyone. We have to be better. Have to be.

---- We are so bad at blocking shots, front facing, and getting in lanes anymore. Guys like Bones/Hags were great at it. Ian Cole was a f***ing GENIUS at it.
I disagree about the sheary part of that post.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Well, we don't have Hags or Bonino, they were great at getting sticks on pucks.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Lafferty in for ZAR.

f4a356e7-207d-44db-91d1-212316d5510c_text.gif

Reactions: ownal and domaug

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Price is making a lot of saves but I don’t feel like we’ve made him deal with a lot of difficult shots. If the powerplay can figure things out we are in a good position - or hell if Malkin can just start chipping in.

Reactions: Andy99 and ncm7772

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Habs are not a good team here boys. It is all relative to the quality of ones play and the Pens simply are not playing the caliber of hockey that wins cups. PP, zone entries, puck movement by the D is not good enough to beat a quality team in a series. Sid and Geno can't overcome issues that are very real. Murray is playing well but it is the Habs here.

Reactions: Andy99 and ncm7772

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Well it worked for them in 2010 and Tampa almost made it work for them in 2016. There are only 2 ways to go here.

1) Go full trap and ONLY look to counter. However - this needs a great powerplay to cash-in on. Montreal, in my opinion, should 100% go full trap and only look to counter.

2) Try to trade blow for blow w/ the Pens. Good luck. That's a toughie. I think they can try to stretch behind our defense. We've seen that work before, but it doesn't fit Montreal or their style. They could say "Hey Carey... we are going to just let you hang out to dry tonight. We are going to try and run/gun them."

Option 1 is their best chance at winning. Ottawa did it in 2017 and Game 7 2OT was the result. Tampa did it in 2016 and Game 7 was the result. Montreal did it in 2010 and they won. And this team is more like 2010 in terms of confidence. 2016 and 2017 was damn near unstoppable. Especially 2016.

Reactions: ncm7772

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Price is making a lot of saves but I don’t feel like we’ve made him deal with a lot of difficult shots. If the powerplay can figure things out we are in a good position - or hell if Malkin can just start chipping in.

Exactly! It's the system. We rather play with the puck around the boards and ignore the middle of the ice. I watch these other games and teams constantly get offensive zone entries with odd numbers. We can barely get the puck in up a man. It's mind boggling.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Lafferty in for ZAR.

f4a356e7-207d-44db-91d1-212316d5510c_text.gif

This was tried though during the season and our transition defense went to shit. It was weird and was something that happened. I'm not trying to defend ZAR here, because he hasn't been good, but we did try this before and it failed. McCann is a bigger issue than anyone else of our forwards. Sully can't trust him.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
So basically Imo this team has two pressing problems... they rarely score unless it is off the rush. Their offense while set in the zone is just piss poor (which is the problem with the power play as well...), and they won’t block shots.... both of these are heart and will issues... offense set in the offensive zone is Best created when guys go to the net and we play on the parimeter too much

and shotblocking is a job anyone can do, if they have the desire to, that is...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad